McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the video good to know of all the antenna locations.

does the 12c have a seat pocket as well?
No seat pocket. I've always had my key in my right front pocket but I know some people have said their left pocket will sometimes give issues. I think that would be a battery low issue since it's still near an antenna.

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" MP4-12C
749 Posts
Here is another tip.

I once drove my McLaren to an old PepBoys auto parts Store. I parked right next to the front door... ready to FLEX! LOL

When I went to leave the store, my 2012 MP4-12C would not start. "Key not Recognized" - Let the embarrassment begin!!!

I tried everything, new battery in key fob, holding the key in all the right places, praying to the McLaren Gods, nothing worked!

So after 45 min of trying, I left the car and waited till the store closed (still embarrassed) thinking I would have a tow truck come get it...

In a last ditch effort, Now that the parking lot was empty, I thought maybe I might try letting the car roll back away from the store and see if that made a difference? It couldn't hurt to try, right? You should know it took ages to finally get the car to allow me to release the e-brake but somehow I did.

But once I rolled the car approx. 50 ft away from the front door of the store she started right up!

Here is what I realized...

This is an older store maybe its been there for 30 years or more, and they still used some older technology to scan merchandise for theft. (RF ID tags?)

My guess is that system is not shielded in any way, and it was blasting more RF than the McLaren could handle and just washed out the key fobs signal.

So realize Radio Frequency interference could also be an issue, especially if you just parked very close to any automatic doors, or other types of such equipment.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Really great tips about the store and the phone charger, I never would have guessed. I assume our cars have less shielding than mainstream cars, and that McLaren does less EMI testing due to their low volume (can't justify the expense and scope like companies that produce hundreds of thousands of cars)?
I am not criticizing, just stating an economic theory

·
Registered
556 Posts
I put a Qi wireless phone charger in mine, totally killed the keys signal, would not find the key with the charger plugged in
Yes, that's normal. Qi will interfere in all cars, to some extent. Easy solution is start the car before you place your phone on the charger.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that's normal. Qi will interfere in all cars, to some extent. Easy solution is start the car before you place your phone on the charger.
I don't have that issue in my Mercedes, phone already in position to charge or not. With how Qi works it shouldn't matter much if a phone is being charged or not as it emits even without a phone near it (which is how it knows to connect to start with). Where I can see the issue being is where the Qi charger is, or even by brand/model of the charger. My Mercedes is at the bottom of my console below the dash but I don't know where the antennas are in that car. Also worth noting, I added it to the car, it hasn't been tested by the factory, it wasn't even an available option in it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I recall reading a specification document on use of Qi in cars with wireless keys, and it is a potential issue in all such cars. Most cars deal with it a lot better than McLarens though. Clearly Mercedes does. My BMW (i8) is fine too.

btw it is how Qi works. When you place the phone on it, it interferes with the key frequency. Easily tested and proved in your McLaren. Or indeed my 720S.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts