McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
From the get-go, I loved the steering wheel – it was the right shape, the right size – but how it behaved was even more impressive. It was immediately responsive, not light but not crazy-heavy either. How do you make hydraulic power-steering deliver such great feedback? I don't know, but I think McLaren should keep that secret to themselves.
Wow, he wasn't bothered by the steering wheel like the "pros" at 5th gear. I mean what does he know. </sarcasm>

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha no, indeed not... so much about the way that the car's engineered reinforces the fact that the car was done by race engineers; the simple one-touch Active button to restore the car to the way that you last drove it, the feeling of the steering, the performance under braking (which Wilson also mentions; it really is something special, and most of my passengers have even commented on how the car feels under braking), down to the simple (and I think elegant) layout of all of the controls. I'm much more at home in a 12c than a 458, and I felt that way from the moment that I first sat in the car.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Some choice quotes:

I suppose the sign of a great car is when you're struggling to decide which of its list of strong points is the strongest...Each time I braked, it felt like the car argued with the laws of physics…and won!
Again, we've seen "pro" journalists that found fault with the brakes. What do these professional race car drivers know compared to the journal pros'titu... anyway?

I'm reading back over this now, and realizing I've found nothing to criticize, and everything else is high praise, which seems ridiculous. Racecar drivers are supposed to be the harshest critics of all when it comes to road cars but…I mean it, I'm really struggling here.
The other thing I find interesting. The pro journalists are complaining/bemoaning the loss of the old "analogue" while F1 drivers are trying to get traction control into the car by hook or crook.

But when I also tried the McLaren with its most protective modes on, I became confident that almost anyone could jump in and drive it without stuffing it in the fence. It has a really nice traction control system because it allows you to drive right up to the limit of the tire but not past that, and yet it doesn't feel artificial in any way. It's very subtle when it kicks in.
and...

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/m...2-red-bull-magic-engine-traction-control.html

·
Registered
240 Posts
A thoughtful, measured, sensible review from a proper racing driver rather than the trash TV rubbish from Needell!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
A thoughtful, measured, sensible review from a proper racing driver rather than the trash TV rubbish from Needell!
My thoughts exactly Pete,more interested in selling themselves than a great British product:rolleyes:

·
Registered
310 Posts
It's funny, a lot of the people I've taken out are more shocked by the braking than the acceleration! They certainly do haul her up!! I Guess the acceleration is just smooth, the braking can be violent! ;-)

·
Registered
240 Posts
It's funny, a lot of the people I've taken out are more shocked by the braking than the acceleration! They certainly do haul her up!! I Guess the acceleration is just smooth, the braking can be violent! ;-)
Agreed - most civilians will clench them with CCB's pressed hard.

But, have to say that the aural drama of a screaming 2nd or 3rd overtake, on the wrong side of the road (surely we're going to die, we can't possibly get past before that head-on...) is quite fun for the driver that knows more than the passenger...

·
Registered
310 Posts
I guess the hydraulic suspension helps a lot with the feel/stability under braking. Having previously had two Caterham "Flat Floor" setups done, braking stability, particularly on track, was one of the biggest noticeable differences. The hydraulics really re-create similar in shifting corner weight about.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Most interesting post, thanks
I recently took Arash (the car constructor) on a demo run, and he was amazed at the braking (standard steels) He runs a Porsche Carrera GT, and he said the brakes were the best he'd ever experienced on a road car!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts