McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought one of these, love it ... until I took it to ceramic pro dealer to get it clear bra and coating and tint.. but they would not touch my dam car because of the paint defects it has... the car has less than 100 miles on it and this is pretty disturbing to find the quality of these cars on paint just isn’t 100 .... just a heads up to someone’s looking to buy one ... my paint is peeling off the corners where front bumper meets the fender...

Gas gap alignment seemed off too

but I do miss it and love it more than my 2017 R8 plus and rs7... but nothing compares to my rusty lol (ford Raptor)

my question is simple I want the rear carbon diffuser and I want it at dealer cost, think they can give that price reduction on the part for my inconvenience??? Sales tax and insurance etc this car approaches to close to mid 400s...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Just bought one of these, love it ... until I took it to ceramic pro dealer to get it clear bra and coating and tint.. but they would not touch my dam car because of the paint defects it has... the car has less than 100 miles on it and this is pretty disturbing to find the quality of these cars on paint just isn’t 100 .... just a heads up to someone’s looking to buy one ... my paint is peeling off the corners where front bumper meets the fender...
View attachment 201529
Gas gap alignment seemed off too
View attachment 201530
but I do miss it and love it more than my 2017 R8 plus and rs7... but nothing compares to my rusty lol (ford Raptor)

my question is simple I want the rear carbon diffuser and I want it at dealer cost, think they can give that price reduction on the part for my inconvenience??? Sales tax and insurance etc this car approaches to close to mid 400s...
Welcome to the joy (or lack thereof) of exotic cars! It stinks and sorry for the troubles. So far I've had 3 Mclaren and 4 Ferrari and every one of them needed full paint correction as the paint was horrible on each. It’s embarrassing that they leave the factory this way. The dealer should definitely work with you. I think your request for the diffuser, at cost, would be more than reasonable. It wouldn’t be costing them anything. Hope they accommodate you.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
That sucks. I would have left the car at the dealership if I showed up to take delivery and saw defects like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just bought a 458 Italia and I’ll spend over $10k on paint correction, gap alignment and full PPF. It sucks but it’s piece of mind and never needs done again if done properly.

2,825 Posts
Sorry to hear about the paint issues, looks like both spots you had shown can be remedied fairly easily, albeit you shouldn’t have to deal with either in the first place.

Per the carbon diffuser, if they do not step up, feel free to reach out to me via PM or call/text and I will see what I can do for you.

4AD14F61-46E9-415A-9764-C12AF85AF061.jpeg

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
571 Posts
It ain’t no Bentley. Body panel fit of a McLaren is not why we buy them. Really nice colors but overall paint quality nothing spectacular.

The styling is out of this world, the performance more than most people are ready for, and the exclusivity is delicious.

Yours does seem to be out of bounds though. Hope it can be made right easily.

Reactions: Brad33

·
Registered
843 Posts
I was able to adjust the gas cap myself, not sure how it is attached but there is some give in it. It's still not perfect like my AMG but way better than it was, and in the OP's photo.

Luckily the paint on my 2018 was nearly perfect. And the panel gaps were pretty consistent, not sure whether it was made on a 'good day' or if the dealer (McLaren Houston) was proactive and adjusted them during PDI. They spent two weeks doing PDI and installing the glass door tops - my car was inadvertently ordered without them, their mistake but had to do with confusing bundling of the #3 exterior carbon package and glazed roof options and they installed the glass tops without charging me for them. And they did a good job, have never cracked.

·
720s
903 Posts
Another reason to buy black--can't see as easily :)

But honestly my 720's paint job was incredible. Much better than other exotics I've bought. I still did paint correction on it and was not a big deal.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It’s really not that difficult for a car this expensive to have a few individuals check panel gaps before the cars leave Woking. Mclaren owners are pretty easy on Corporate when it comes to those sort of issues, perhaps too much so. Speaks to how great the car’s can be when they’re right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have purchased several new Porsche GT3s and GT3 RSs and a few have had similar issues with regard to paint. Issues were creases in paint from white vinyl film during transport to scratches where you can see someone had buffed/attempted to smooth a high spot. A few needed paint correction prior to PPF. Disappointing for sure. But, once corrected, all these cars but a big smile on our faces and we soon forget about it.

Question to the group: If you lease a 720S do you still do PPF and/or ceramic coating, just ceramic coating or nothing at all? Trying to wrap my head around would I want to do any of that (well, maybe CC) if it was a lease. Thoughts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts