McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, wondered if anyone has issues on the brake feel of the 12C.
Mines CC, the car has now done 3100 mi 300 by me in two stints :D:D

I really love driving the car and can't put it down, but I am beginning to have issues with the brake feel.
I was thinking I'd get used to it and went out for a 30 min spin to 'practice' the brakes but ended up Driving 6 hrs non stop all over south west England!! My wife was already making arrangements to report me missing - I took the wrong phone :eek:

But I'm still not comfortable with the feel. In fact I was thinking of going to the dealer and having a downgrade to steel discs - would this be a first?:mad:
I don't do track - prefer the cut / thrust of real road driving.

The brakes really feel wooden.
?n Is this an issue for owners - what's up with the ML brakes - I haven't really seen comments on the brake feel, they'll all about IRIS.

I still love the car not to care - ill just maybe have to get used to it and drive more careful. :(
It's most problematic in near 'emergency' situations when I have to quickly stab the brakes.
On the Mways (Fways) it's not much of a problem, but on the A / B roads, it is and spoils the enjoyment somewhat.

I'd really like to know what others think.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi, wondered if anyone has issues on the brake feel of the 12C.
Mines CC, the car has now done 3100 mi 300 by me in two stints :D:D

I really love driving the car and can't put it down, but I am beginning to have issues with the brake feel.
I was thinking I'd get used to it and went out for a 30 min spin to 'practice' the brakes but ended up Driving 6 hrs non stop all over south west England!! My wife was already making arrangements to report me missing - I took the wrong phone :eek:

But I'm still not comfortable with the feel. In fact I was thinking of going to the dealer and having a downgrade to steel discs - would this be a first?:mad:
I don't do track - prefer the cut / thrust of real road driving.

The brakes really feel wooden.
?n Is this an issue for owners - what's up with the ML brakes - I haven't really seen comments on the brake feel, they'll all about IRIS.

I still love the car not to care - ill just maybe have to get used to it and drive more careful. :(
It's most problematic in near 'emergency' situations when I have to quickly stab the brakes.
On the Mways (Fways) it's not much of a problem, but on the A / B roads, it is and spoils the enjoyment somewhat.

I'd really like to know what others think.
Congrats on the new car - could of done with you and the 12C at Beaulieu Supercar Showdown yesterday, don't think there was a single 12C in attendance! I think a number of reviews have mentioned the carbon stoppers having issues with feel, Evo being a favourite with some on this forum! I'm sure owners have a better handle on the issues or maybe lack of them!

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi,
I have CCB on my 12-c. Ive test driven the steel brakes first and then the CCB. The CCB felt like you had to press harder abit, but when driving, i didnt feel anything odd. Only at stops, i had to hold down the peddle abit harder, but i dont think it has to do with CCB. I hear thats normal for the car. Maybe you should go for a test drive on the steel brakes at the mclaren dealer first. I love the CCB. No brake dusts....EVER! And the large calibers are sweet to look at. Im not too keen on the white rim (where the bolts are) around the steel disks. The CCB is in black and looks better to me.
Anyway, try taking a drive. Or get swap yours car with someone local for a drive around your area. Im sure they wont mind taking your CCB off your hands if you decide to part with them. (C=

good luck,
lc

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats on the new car - could of done with you and the 12C at Beaulieu Supercar Showdown yesterday, don't think there was a single 12C in attendance! I think a number of reviews have mentioned the carbon stoppers having issues with feel, Evo being a favourite with some on this forum! I'm sure owners have a better handle on the issues or maybe lack of them!
That's funny - took a drive headed west started A3 weybridge no destination in mind. Found myself in Winchester - not far from Beaulieu. Drove non stop for 5 hrs various. Wish I knew - doh

·
Registered
207 Posts
btw, I would think under hard braking, especially on track (isnt this what its built for), your ccb should perform better. btw, im told you cna get at least 80k-200k out of the ccb if you dont track your vehicle and about 65k if you do track your vehicle. The ccb service is $14k or so and steel brakes was $4-6k. These were rough quotes I was given at the dealer. Even though ccb cost more to be replaced when worn, i doubt id put that many miles on the car....BUT, you never know. Ive already put over 300 miles on it as well.
lc

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
both my coupe and SP had CCBDs both had issues, that when were sorted were the best brakes have had on any car.

take your car back to your dealer and ask to check the CCBDs to make sure they are TRUE, as in run up on bal machine as if it were a wheel. Both mine were out. If it is out get the discs replaced for a set that are within tolerance. Do not under any circumstances accept the fix, but way of adding extra balance weights to the out side out the wheel. replace the discs, If the discs are TRUE, then re bleed them. This sorted mine.

Hope this helps. The MD at MTC is aware of this problem

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
Mine are great and feel about the as the other cars I have with CCB. I find the pedal quite light and not requiring the pressure of the iron brakes

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
both my coupe and SP had CCBDs both had issues, that when were sorted were the best brakes have had on any car.

take your car back to your dealer and ask to check the CCBDs to make sure they are TRUE, as in run up on bal machine as if it were a wheel. Both mine were out. If it is out get the discs replaced for a set that are within tolerance. Do not under any circumstances accept the fix, but way of adding extra balance weights to the out side out the wheel. replace the discs, If the discs are TRUE, then re bleed them. This sorted mine.

Cutylad, thanks, that is really helpful and I suspect may be the cause of the article above and some of the aberrant brake comments here in the forums.

I have the steel brakes and they are amazingly good. It took the normal amount of time to get used to them like in any new car, but now that I got the feel I love them.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Congrats on the new car - could of done with you and the 12C at Beaulieu Supercar Showdown yesterday, don't think there was a single 12C in attendance!
There was supposed to be one at least :eek: but the owners run out of insured miles for the year and couldn't make it.:(
Had the passes and invite for the demo runs...:mad:

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
hi jon, NYC.
No problem. With regard to the standard steel brakes, I am aware of a PAD set up, that I am told makes the car as good as the CCBDs, well at least on track. I will post more info on this when I get back to EU next week

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,
I have CCB on my 12-c. Ive test driven the steel brakes first and then the CCB. The CCB felt like you had to press harder abit, but when driving, i didnt feel anything odd. Only at stops, i had to hold down the peddle abit harder, but i dont think it has to do with CCB. I hear thats normal for the car. Maybe you should go for a test drive on the steel brakes at the mclaren dealer first. I love the CCB. No brake dusts....EVER! And the large calibers are sweet to look at. Im not too keen on the white rim (where the bolts are) around the steel disks. The CCB is in black and looks better to me.
Anyway, try taking a drive. Or get swap yours car with someone local for a drive around your area. Im sure they wont mind taking your CCB off your hands if you decide to part with them. (C=

good luck,
lc
Hi,

good luck,
lc
You know what I think I'll leave them on for now - I read a post they feel similar - the steels

Glad to hear you like them - I probably just needed to hear some real owner likes them. At least ill try for a while - still only had the car 5 days.
When ceramic brakes first came onto the scene, I thought of dinner plates breaking :) and steered well clear - was thinking ceramics not carbon fibre - till I saw how they were made - yeah they are quite pretty and no brake dust - just went out to have a look - you're right - NONE !! Never knew that.

I've fallen in love with the car - never thought I could fall for a car - thought I'd seen too many. But went out to get my phone in it but stayed 30 mins in the garage, staring, sitting, stroking,.....thinking drive or work?
I'll teach myself to fall for the brakes as well then - ill drive till I get used to - another reason to head out - practicing the brakes dear ..:D

Do I need a spare wheel for punctures - I keep a spare wheel in my garage for my cars now they all have spacesavers. I'm paranoid about punctures - not sure why.

thanks a bunch

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Oh thanks - Ill be over to the dealers in a flash - I'm glad I asked this question - the car is too lovely not to have great brakes.

·
Registered
359 Posts
There was supposed to be one at least :eek: but the owners run out of insured miles for the year and couldn't make it.:(
Had the passes and invite for the demo runs...:mad:
Really? Sounds a bit lame, all it needs is a phone call to extend. It was a shame for the crowd, 12C was one of the featured cars in the program. Maybe next year. ;)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Really? Sounds a bit lame, all it needs is a phone call to extend. It was a shame for the crowd, 12C was one of the featured cars in the program. Maybe next year. ;)
Two phone calls made.... I really did try :( but a new policy if I went over the 12K miles- and only 16 days left on the policy, so just couldn't do it...

shame as it looked a super show, my 997 Porsche friends certainly enjoyed it

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Love ceramics - Bentley SS 16m and Mclaren they look great and best of all no brake dust,

All ceramics are not created equal but IMO the Mclaren are the best when treated properly.

I often use my left foot to keep the ceramics warmed up - cool ceramics will not offer any brake feel.

Unless you have issues at high speed with wobble or steering feel you have no issue and I have heard that most the Macs who do are ... humored by the dealer.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I found the steel brakes lacked a lot of feel. Too over servoed and poor modulation capability. Not progressive and travel Vs brake application not linear.
Porsche brakes (and esp PCCB) are superior I.M.H.O.

·
Sponsor
936 Posts
Porsche brakes (and esp PCCB) are superior I.M.H.O.
I agree with you on this point, but the track stamina of Porsche PCCBs is suspect at best. I agree with the original poster. The ceramic brakes disappointed me on my test drive and the steel worked better on the street. It was easier for me to modulate the steel than the ceramic. Coming from a near perfect PCCB on my departed 911, I was shocked at how inferior the McLaren ones felt.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
I agree with you on this point, but the track stamina of Porsche PCCBs is suspect at best. I agree with the original poster. The ceramic brakes disappointed me on my test drive and the steel worked better on the street. It was easier for me to modulate the steel than the ceramic. Coming from a near perfect PCCB on my departed 911, I was shocked at how inferior the McLaren ones felt.
Ceramics were designed for the track - so they are going to lack on the street.

I seriously doubt on a street test drive anyone heated up the ceramics enough to have them perform as they were intended to be used.

Now if you tested the car on the track and you weren't happy that would surprise me.

·
Sponsor
936 Posts
You can say they are for track duty and that is fine. I enjoyed my porsche on the street and I did not need much heat (except in the winter) to experience superior braking. I nicknamed those brakes the "hand of god". They would throw you through the windshield if you allowed them to. The McLaren variant on the street was "spooky" and unsettling. Yeah, how many people here go to a track?...not many in the US! I would have gotten ceramics if they performed better on the street. The combination of no brake dust and massive stopping power are seductive! I would not use them on a track due to replacement costs. I would switch to steel. An aftermarket company will have some available.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts