McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm having to get used to the filling up routine!:confused:
I've filled her up twice, happy to report done 400 mi in three stints.:)

But the attention at the filling (gas?) stations requires some getting used to - the attention is incredible - and a little disconcerting for me.
Then there's the rolling out / rolling in stuff - how do you get out with everyone STARRING!!
I think I fill up at night? In a remote station in the unlit section.

Is this usual for first time owners of exotics. Have had Porsches, Mercs ...
But this is different and unexpected (actually a little expected)

?n - Is the attention for MP4s off the scale or am I just being paranoid - seriously

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yes sir. They do get way more than their share of attention.
Not sure if I shared this story before but:

When I first got my MO Mac my friend took my 458(blu scuro) out for a drive. I made it through a light in the Mac but he didn't in the 458. A guy in the car that was next to him motioned for him to lower the window and asked him, sitting in a ferrari mind you, what the orange car was that just went by. He told him it was a mclaren; then, I guess as a consolation prize, the car spotter said..."you have a nice car too" and drove off.

The Mac does get a lot of videos and pics taken of it. More so than I've had with the Fezza. Or any other car I've have the pleasure of owning. No way to be low profile for sure. Oh... and I haven't gotten one middle finger presented at me or "asshole" yelled at me with the Mac. With the Fezza that may have happened a couple of times.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I've had cashiers asking if I minded waiting whilst they went and took photos, that makes you feel even more awkward in the queue :eek:

I try not to fill up at night as you've suggested as for some reason all the chavs seem to be out and notice you even more.. :rolleyes:
I have my standard reply now, so it's easier- 'Yes, it's OK and get me from one petrol station to another'... ;)

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Yeah the attention is more than a bit disconcerting I have to admit, way more than even an R8 and I had thought a black car would get me less attention but I was wrong......

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
This weekend I filled up in Harlem and had, at one point, about 14 people around the car asking questions, taking photos. One guy gave me a cool CD for my girlfriend to "twerk" to. ☺

You cannot make this stuff up. So much awesome. :)

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
Normal - it's an instant car show when you pull in.... then the door flips up & it becomes a red carpet event and the flash bulbs start going off. I usually catch them before they ask and say "have at it".... Then usually "yes... it's the new Ferrari MP4-12c... they just came out" or "...Lambo McLaren..." I'm a very sarcastic dry humor kind of guy so I have fun with it. Kind of got used to it with the ACR Viper...."yes, it's the new Vette ACR..."

A fun experiment is to fuel up with the door closed, then do it with the door open, notice the different quantity of paparazzi. Something about non-standard doors I guess :)

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
Al bit of Urban Dictionary followed by "How to twerk" on YouTube.... I'm educated.... My wife heard the video playing, said she knew all about "twerking"..... I told her to stop holding out! ...yep, one of those stares.....

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Then there's the rolling out / rolling in stuff - how do you get out with everyone STARRING!!
Ok, I know the dealer teaches you the ass-first roll in and out method. And I think that is the right conservative way people should be aware of.

That said, there is definitely a cooler way to get into the car. This is with a left hand drive car. Open door. Get close to car. Right foot steps deep into the floor well in front of the pedals as you transition, crouch down into the seat. Left leg then slips in.

This can be done really deftly, and it's almost like you're putting the car on like a jacket.

Now getting out. I'm still looking for a good technique here. I'm suspecting there's a way to pivot, roll, and push off with your left hand against the seat or sill, so you get some momentum on the way out, but I have yet to perfect anything.

Curious if others have come up with better methods?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Al bit of Urban Dictionary followed by "How to twerk" on YouTube.... I'm educated.... My wife heard the video playing, said she knew all about "twerking"..... I told her to stop holding out! ...yep, one of those stares.....
☺ Tell her it's because you're a social scientist. It's for science! ☺

·
Registered
715 Posts
Ok, I know the dealer teaches you the ass-first roll in and out method. And I think that is the right conservative way people should be aware of.

That said, there is definitely a cooler way to get into the car. This is with a left hand drive car. Open door. Get close to car. Right foot steps deep into the floor well in front of the pedals as you transition, crouch down into the seat. Left leg then slips in.

This can be done really deftly, and it's almost like you're putting the car on like a jacket.

Now getting out. I'm still looking for a good technique here. I'm suspecting there's a way to pivot, roll, and push off with your left hand against the seat or sill, so you get some momentum on the way out, but I have yet to perfect anything.

Do you grab the a-pillar or the wheel on the way in?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Do you grab the a-pillar or the wheel on the way in?
Funny, playing it back in my mind, I never noticed what I do with my hands. Hmm, I think I usually don't grab anything. I'll have to check this weekend when I take her out.

Maybe take video and call it the harlem shuffle entry mode. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had cashiers asking if I minded waiting whilst they went and took photos, that makes you feel even more awkward in the queue :eek:

I try not to fill up at night as you've suggested as for some reason all the chavs seem to be out and notice you even more.. :rolleyes:
I have my standard reply now, so it's easier- 'Yes, it's OK and get me from one petrol station to another'... ;)
Have you tried or considered getting the wife/girlf to do the filling - you pull up she ?? rolls out fills up ... ?:)
Some how I think they are more tuned to the attention thing - could be errr impractical to go home first to get the mrs when you're low 100 mi away?:D:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

You should do an instructional video.:) maybe see if ML will pay for it and put it in the next Android iris - or even give you a free iris upgrade :D:D:d
It might even go viral and get even more attention .. LOL

I get in smooth and fine at home and never thought of how I did it - hmmmm
was more concerned about avoiding scuff marks

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I get into my putt putt head first, well right arm first then head followed by the rest of my body. I've never had the opportunity to see how it would look form a spectator/bystander standpoint, I'm sure it must be quite frightening with my arse sticking up in the air and all LOL??. Cheers.....??

1 - 20 of 30 Posts