McLaren Life banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I'm interested in understanding people's journey's towards buying McLaren and if this was the first supercar you purchased? What decisions drove you to buy a McLaren vs their competitors and was the customer journey towards purchase any good?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
After 3 911's, a Shelby GT350, Maser Coupe Cambiocorsa, Lotus Elise, AMG E63, a modded vette, M5 and 2 Mini GPs, I'm looking forward to pick up my new-to-me 8K mile 2016 570S next week. While a few of these had higher HP, the 570S will be my first supercar.

We (SO and I) currently have a Shelby GT 350, a 2019 M5 and a Mini GP3 (and a Navigator for hauling friends and family). About 2 years ago a friend began badgering me every few months to sell him my GT 350. A few days ago he asked again and I looked around to see what could fill the void of a sportscar in our garage. I called two friends who have dealerships and gravitated towards slightly used Porsche Turbos. I would have considered a new GT4 had I found it. A Maserati Gran Turismo popped up on my radar but it's not really a sports car. The new Corvette is interesting but some of its lines don't look 100% right and the HP of the base and Z51 models now available is less than my Shelby's. Nothing really convinced me to part with the Shelby and up to another $80k to $100K in cash for any of these. A GT3 would have been nice but was beyond my budget.

Yesterday one of my friends messaged he'd found my car. Pictures followed and it turned out to be the Mclaren. "Out of my price range" I replied. He responded he'd get it within my range (150US). After looking at the pictures I realized it belonged to another friend who is extremely meticulous with his cars and I knew it had a great history. Comparable cars here go for considerably (over $50K) more. A Mclaren was not really on my horizon, but once it popped up it checked all the boxes (design, performance, finish, local dealer presence) and it took me less than 15 minutes to decide.

Looking back, the first time I was wowed by McLaren was when I'd pass by the display of the London store 2 or 3 times a day when staying at the Milestone hotel in Kensington. It was never really an aspiration, but it should have been!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi there,
I'm interested in understanding people's journey's towards buying McLaren and if this was the first supercar you purchased? What decisions drove you to buy a McLaren vs their competitors and was the customer journey towards purchase any good?
Thanks!
Afternoon

The Mclaren 570s was my first supercar purchase. I have had merc`s and bmw`s but never ventured into supercars as all my money went on the children !!!! I looked at many cars up to 100K GBP and Mclaren came out on top for looks, performance and the doors. I really wanted a tried and tested Porsche but if you look at the entire range from the front you wouldn`t know if it was a carrera or a turbo s. They just didn`t do anything for me. I then moved on to the R8 and always have debates on my car group if this is actually a supercar !!!! This didn`t bother me but it just lacked something and i can`t put my finger on it. They sound amazing with the V10 engine but it didn`t light any fires in the belly. After months of reading i should of been put off buying a Mclaren as the bad press is everywhere but this made me want one even more. They can`t all be bad...right ?

Moving forward a few months and its clearly the best choice i could of made. The car is amazing. The handling is sublime especially if you get some Geo on it and shims on the rear. The speed is amazing and can pretty much hold its own with anything. In the UK now they are probably the best car for the money and you can actually pick one up for 85K GBP. I had been fortunate to of been in several supercars before my purchase and i have no regrets about buying it (apart from the warranty cost per year) but you wouldn`t own a Mclaren without a Mclaren warranty.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I already had a 928GTS. I wanted a higher-performance car, and was leaning towards a component car (Superlite SL-C), mainly due to the potential to modify the engine (California specific emissions laws). However, the reality of other demands on my time, the draw of production car comforts, and the great value of the 12C, changed that.

McLaren's advantages, for me, were the CF tub, advanced systems (active suspension, aerodynamics, etc), and performance to (purchase) price ratio. The fact that it's British (I am) was a nice plus.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If I were in (most of) the UK, I wouldn't. You have Thorney.
thorney is the same price as Mclaren for a warranty. You would go main dealer every time if the price is the same. I did look into thorney before my purchase but it’s not the route I wanted to take.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
thorney is the same price as Mclaren for a warranty. You would go main dealer every time if the price is the same. I did look into thorney before my purchase but it’s not the route I wanted to take.
I take your point. Personally, I'd self-insure if I were close enough to them. I only really worry about the drivetrain, which seems pretty reliable. Their prices would make that less of a concern, but each to their own.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The 570S was my first supercar and I liked it so much that I just bought a 675LT as well. Test drove a 488 & Huracan and they aren't even in the same ballpark. McLaren is on a whole other level.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The 570S was my first supercar and I liked it so much that I just bought a 675LT as well. Test drove a 488 & Huracan and they aren't even in the same ballpark. McLaren is on a whole other level.
I'm still in the "sense of disbelief" phase of ownership about the way the car feels when I drive it. It's an entirely different experience to anything I've previously driven, it's hard to imagine how it could possibly be improved other perhaps than the seats which feel like they're made for someone wider than I am.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Do you know how all reviewers in auto mags dislike/hate electric power steering? I always thought that was BS - until I drove my first Supercar, the 570GT. However, "on the flip side", the lack of an integral garage door opener is indicative of something too.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Do you know how all reviewers in auto mags dislike/hate electric power steering? I always thought that was BS - until I drove my first Supercar, the 570GT. However, "on the flip side", the lack of an integral garage door opener is indicative of something too.
+1. The electric steering setup on McLarens, I believe, is, unlike other manufacturers, not full electric steering. While I was researching my car, I read/watched a piece about it, and it's more like electric assistance, the reason being that McLaren feel that fully electric technology is not there yet in terms of delivering the steering response/feedback they are looking for.

As far as the garage door opener goes, personally I couldn't really give a crap about it, but I'm guessing it's mostly Americans who are looking for it because automatic garage doors are used much less in the UK (although possibly not in this segment!). I don't know if the Homelink standard is used in the UK (since my garages there were always manual), but whether that's the reason it wasn't included, or if it was for weight, either way it would have necessitated a change for North American cars, albeit somewhat less of an issue than the steering wheel being on the wrong side in the US.....

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
+1. The electric steering setup on McLarens, I believe, is, unlike other manufacturers, not full electric steering. While I was researching my car, I read/watched a piece about it, and it's more like electric assistance, the reason being that McLaren feel that fully electric technology is not there yet in terms of delivering the steering response/feedback they are looking for.

As far as the garage door opener goes, personally I couldn't really give a crap about it, but I'm guessing it's mostly Americans who are looking for it because automatic garage doors are used much less in the UK (although possibly not in this segment!). I don't know if the Homelink standard is used in the UK (since my garages there were always manual), but whether that's the reason it wasn't included, or if it was for weight, either way it would have necessitated a change for North American cars, albeit somewhat less of an issue than the steering wheel being on the wrong side in the US.....
Oh, now you want to argue;) which is the wrong side. Respectfully, I would like to say that it has been "properly adjusted" to the correct side of the car.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Oh, now you want to argue;) which is the wrong side. Respectfully, I would like to say that it has been "properly adjusted" to the correct side of the car.
Since it's a British car, designed to have the wheel on the right and correct side, I posit that you have no legs on which to stand!😁

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Well, back to the subject - power steering. My interpretation is somewhat different. It is my understanding that it is more or less a regular power steering setup, but powered by electricity. Whatever - it's great.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Well, back to the subject - power steering. My interpretation is somewhat different. It is my understanding that it is more or less a regular power steering setup, but powered by electricity. Whatever - it's great.
I think that's what I was trying to say. The description was a sort of hybrid. Whatever it is, I agree, it's far and away the best setup I've ever used.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts