McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It must be the time of the year but it's so itching to get another toy. I've looked at so many things and am completely lost now.

Looking at :
- Ferrari F12 again. A nice looking GT car and still comfortable for the longer trips. A poor excuse to myself ( i'm aware) as i don't car that much for comfort. A great sounding machine
- Corvette C7 is really great looking machine and soo cheap but so low on power that a supercharger is needed. Seems that in jan detroit motor show they'll announce the Z06
- 991 GT3 : Looking nice but the interior is too much Audi like. Still the feed back looks great on this car and that PDK.
- 991 Turbo S : dito Audi stuff and don't like that much 4*4 for spirited driving BUT seems such a great handling car
- 997 GT3 9 FF. Still the nicest looking Porsche but 1000hp on a rear wheel drive might be too much.
-997 GT2 has always been a favorite because of it's looks - last of the manual real porsches but only 530 hp. This could get bored quickly but with some intercoolers and software they can quickly push it to 650.

I'm really lost here

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Kurt,you have it covered with everything else,why not think outside the box,go for a GT sprint (honest i'm not on commission) :D

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
If you don't feel the need for the raw power, try the 997 4.0 gt3 rs. Pretty limited numbers, last of it's kind (analogue car + mezger engine), in theory good chance of being a reasonable collector's item later. Tried one a few weeks ago, the car was really impressive, particularly the engine which was phenomenal. There are 2 available in porsche germany.....

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
If you don't feel the need for the raw power, try the 997 4.0 gt3 rs. Pretty limited numbers, last of it's kind (analogue car + mezger engine), in theory good chance of being a reasonable collector's item later. Tried one a few weeks ago, the car was really impressive, particularly the engine which was phenomenal. There are 2 available in porsche germany.....
Any idea how much they going for Isv?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I keep wondering if I should get a Sprint myself... but you would need a team to run it, take it to the tracks and such... sounds annoying...

Unless it could be shared (the team that is, obviously not the car)... So Kurt (or anyone else here to be honest), if anyone is interested in setting up a team or whatever is needed with 2 Sprints, I might be interested...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Oh, and btw, I have the same itch (roughly every month, lol) ... and I keep wondering if I at some point have to try out a Porsche (scary thought) or a Lamborghini..

But not really fond of the Aventador... the new one looks interesting though... But I did not get an invite to see it yet... so... who knows...

I have reserved a build spot for a BMW i8... curious when that will happen though..

End of this month/next month will be fun...

1) New Range Rover finally arriving around the 20th Jan.
2) Tesla Model S beginning of Feb
3) P1 beginning of Feb

And my garage is finished end of Feb too! (usable hopefully end of Jan/first week of Feb)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I keep wondering if I should get a Sprint myself... but you would need a team to run it, take it to the tracks and such... sounds annoying...

Unless it could be shared (the team that is, obviously not the car)... So Kurt (or anyone else here to be honest), if anyone is interested in setting up a team or whatever is needed with 2 Sprints, I might be interested...
Fabian,mclarenGT will take it to the track days with the pure McLaren cars and maintain it too,you just turn up and drive :cool:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Any idea how much they going for Isv?
Eur 185k ish, 10k km approx mileage. The euro lhd 4.0 rs oddly enough have stayed at around list (€180k from memory) while the rhd UK cars have gone a bit crazy price wise, £135k gbp list and i was told one changed hands recently at around £215k. Price differential is crazy to me personally and i was looking at importing a german car into the UK actually....

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Eur 185k ish, 10k km approx mileage. The euro lhd 4.0 rs oddly enough have stayed at around list (€180k from memory) while the rhd UK cars have gone a bit crazy price wise, £135k gbp list and i was told one changed hands recently at around £215k. Price differential is crazy to me personally and i was looking at importing a german car into the UK actually....
Going to be worth having one soon I think... I doubt there's going to be a better iteration of the form... Would love to drive one Btb with the 997.2 just to see whether it's worth the extra eur...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Fabian,mclarenGT will take it to the track days with the pure McLaren cars and maintain it too,you just turn up and drive :cool:
Oh Fun... That Sounds great! Need to ask them about it.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Going to be worth having one soon I think... I doubt there's going to be a better iteration of the form... Would love to drive one Btb with the 997.2 just to see whether it's worth the extra eur...
I did drive the 2 back to back....that's why i am in a bit of a dilemna now.....heh... Rhd 3.8 rs or lhd 4.0. Rhd does make life easier driving it here as overtaking is a pain and it is the not inconsiderable matter of about £50k less...although arguably the difference in price will only grow in favour of the 4.0.

The 3.8 rs as you know really is a damn good car and admittedly i didn't get to push the 4.0 hard when i had a drive, it felt remarkably similar to the 3.8, engine apart. The 4.0 mezger engine is a real gem, cannot stress how impressed i was by it but smiles per quid, i am not really sure if i would not be better off with the 3.8.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I did drive the 2 back to back....that's why i am in a bit of a dilemna now.....heh... Rhd 3.8 rs or lhd 4.0. Rhd does make life easier driving it here as overtaking is a pain and it is the not inconsiderable matter of about £50k less...although arguably the difference in price will only grow in favour of the 4.0.

The 3.8 rs as you know really is a damn good car and admittedly i didn't get to push the 4.0 hard when i had a drive, it felt remarkably similar to the 3.8, engine apart. The 4.0 mezger engine is a real gem, cannot stress how impressed i was by it but smiles per quid, i am not really sure if i would not be better off with the 3.8.
Swiss has decent number of 3.8 for about 80 sterling. Only found one 4.0 which is 150 sterling..,

2 for 1?

Going to be tough to say no to the 3.8 me thinks.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Swiss has decent number of 3.8 for about 80 sterling. Only found one 4.0 which is 150 sterling..,

2 for 1?

Going to be tough to say no to the 3.8 me thinks.
Try and get a back to back drive of the 2 and let me know what you think though before you pull the trigger on the 3.8!! ;)

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Try and get a back to back drive of the 2 and let me know what you think though before you pull the trigger on the 3.8!! ;)
Sure.. Might have to wait a bit.. 4.0 is private. 3.8 seem to be quite common and only going to get more so I guess as new gt3 continues delivery.
Let's be honest, barring miracles, it's highly unlikely to happen this year!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys .... the itch suddenly got worse. Thanks to yourselves a 4.0 is on the list as well.

i've been ahead on things and next tuesday a TUV guy will go inspect an F12 and a GT2. The GT2 has quit a history. Was bought in 2009 buy a Sjeik in Dubai -put it in his collection but didn't drive it. in 2010 the GT2 RS came out and had his GT2 transformed into a GT2RS with the intention to drive it. all done with original parts by porsche dubai - still didn't drive it and finally in 03/2011 it was registered again with the intention to drive it. Today the car has 400km and is really as new. On one side it all looks to nice to be true so the TUV guys will have tons of inspections to do. As modern as the 991 looks I miss the spartan interior of the 964-993 and the 997 looks like the last of the real fun cars with not too much mumbo jumbo on it. I don't need to be the fastest simply must have had lots of fun.

A true track car is not something I'm immediately considering as I'd like to drive around with it on the street. For those 5 or 6 track day events a year that would be such a shame to keep the thing in the garage waiting.

Still .... never say never so Fabian :) there could be fun. Perhaps we need to organise more often events together. MARTIN????

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Thanks guys .... the itch suddenly got worse. Thanks to yourselves a 4.0 is on the list as well.

i've been ahead on things and next tuesday a TUV guy will go inspect an F12 and a GT2. The GT2 has quit a history. Was bought in 2009 buy a Sjeik in Dubai -put it in his collection but didn't drive it. in 2010 the GT2 RS came out and had his GT2 transformed into a GT2RS with the intention to drive it. all done with original parts by porsche dubai - still didn't drive it and finally in 03/2011 it was registered again with the intention to drive it. Today the car has 400km and is really as new. On one side it all looks to nice to be true so the TUV guys will have tons of inspections to do. As modern as the 991 looks I miss the spartan interior of the 964-993 and the 997 looks like the last of the real fun cars with not too much mumbo jumbo on it. I don't need to be the fastest simply must have had lots of fun.

A true track car is not something I'm immediately considering as I'd like to drive around with it on the street. For those 5 or 6 track day events a year that would be such a shame to keep the thing in the garage waiting.

Still .... never say never so Fabian :) there could be fun. Perhaps we need to organise more often events together. MARTIN????
Was about to apologise for hijacking your thread belg, but seems is has done you some good perhaps...

I am still thinking of gt3 or gt Sprint track car. Would be lots of fun...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts