McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
http://www.caradvice.com.au/230447/mclaren-mp4-12c-100000-price-cut-for-british-supercar/

I;m sure this is just for our Australian cousins,would be good to get a comment from someone how it works down there ??:)

Sure thing mate. You get a bonzo job with lots of sickies so you get to the Beach and bother the Sheilas. Get lots of tinies down your neck and get the Barbie smoking.

Or ship iron ore to China by the boat load. Make shed loads of cash. Run interference at your local Mclaren dealer.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Given the record strength of the Aus dollar it makes little sense. Unless some penalising import tax inflates prices.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Sounds rather desparate.....no one lowers their price if people are paying it.
According to the article, they've only sold seven cars... :eek:
If the new price is the price it's sold for rather than discounted to, it may help residuals... I've always felt that discounts destroy residuals- although I feel very much for those that have already paid the price (even if it was discounted)

·
Owner
893 Posts
According to the article, they've only sold seven cars... :eek:
If the new price is the price it's sold for rather than discounted to, it may help residuals... I've always felt that discounts destroy residuals- although I feel very much for those that have already paid the price (even if it was discounted)
Those 7 customers had better be compensated for the loss they've just been dealt, by McLaren Automotive itself !!
Just look how they are giving these cars away in the U.S.A. ...... screwing your first adopter base is going to turn a large percentage of them off and ...... there goes your true loyal customers.:(

·
Registered
323 Posts
With Aussie Dollar at roughly parity to USD, these prices still seem ridiculous. Does anyone know how much of the Aussie price is taxes/import duties/etc.? I know that's a large part of the enormous price differences between cars in Brazil and the US.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Those 7 customers had better be compensated for the loss they've just been dealt, by McLaren Automotive itself !!
Just look how they are giving these cars away in the U.S.A. ...... screwing your first adopter base is going to turn a large percentage of them off and ...... there goes your true loyal customers.:(
Well I must admit with all of the negativity on this forum at times, not sure about the impact it's had or having on selling this great product of theirs.

I just wish McLaren would get off their asses and start making things happen. There has been so much mention of the lack of marketing etc, it would also help if someone from Woking was on this forum addressing all of these issues.

Word of mouth is a great form of advertising if the product is out there and being driven in numbers, yet the product still needs exposure, movies, advertising etc.

Still love the car, even though I haven't driven it yet, but the day is coming. Cheers....??

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Well I must admit with all of the negativity on this forum at times, not sure about the impact it's had or having on selling this great product of theirs.

I just wish McLaren would get off their asses and start making things happen. There has been so much mention of the lack of marketing etc, it would also help if someone from Woking was on this forum addressing all of these issues.

Word of mouth is a great form of advertising if the product is out there and being driven in numbers, yet the product still needs exposure, movies, advertising etc.

Still love the car, even though I haven't driven it yet, but the day is coming. Cheers....����
The negativity posts are quite high!

I have posted lots of examples and have owned cars that have done far worse than the Mclaren.

The value of an owners cars matter on two days - same as owning shares of stock only difference is you can drive the h^ll out of one ;)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
The negativity posts are quite high!

I have posted lots of examples and have owned cars that have done far worse than the Mclaren.

The value of an owners cars matter on two days - same as owning shares of stock only difference is you can drive the h^ll out of one ;)
Yes they are, and unfortunately some of these individuals will never be happy no matter what. There's people seeking perfection in a imperfect world, I love the car for all of its amazing characteristics and abilities. Now I'm going to sit down have a scotch and doobie. LOL?? Cheers....????

·
Administrator
2,745 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
if i am not wrong, the taxes down under is about 20%. Australia is a small market for exotics. I wont be surprise if we sell more exotics in Singapore than in Australia.

·
Registered
824 Posts
For us Limeys

Coupe was Ausi $493,100 = £321,452

Now Ausi $398,000 = £259,456

Spider was Ausi $543,900 = £354,569

Now Ausi $441,780 = £287,997

The robbing b**stewards

Would have thought a good market for imported cars, unless punitive local taxes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Singapore/Aus

if i am not wrong, the taxes down under is about 20%. Australia is a small market for exotics. I wont be surprise if we sell more exotics in Singapore than in Australia.
They have done and will continue to sell far more cars in Singapore than they will in Australia despite the population being three and a half times smaller, just the reality of the economic splits in the two countries.

There's a big dividing line in Australia on cars once you attract the luxury tax which does make high end cars prohibitively expensive down there although obviously not in the same league as Singapore. You do of course have 50pct income tax down there to offset the lower levels in Singapore.

I do have to say I find what McLaren have done with the pricing revision is very surprising and is at the least a tacit admission that the car is mispriced against the 458 (which means it is mispriced the world over). Selling it at a lower price in Australia versus the 458 and nowhere else in the world is to my mind one in the eye for all the owners.

Bearing in mind the size of the Aussie market and the extra (few) units they are likely to sell as a result, I find it a disappointing strategy at best and means the homework was not done properly in the first place. It's easy to shift rare cars in places such as Singapore or the Middle East where there are simply too many people with too much money but it shows a lack of competitiveness in a true market place.

·
Registered
36 Posts
For us Limeys

Coupe was Ausi $493,100 = £321,452

Now Ausi $398,000 = £259,456

Spider was Ausi $543,900 = £354,569

Now Ausi $441,780 = £287,997

The robbing b**stewards

Would have thought a good market for imported cars, unless punitive local taxes.
There are times when Australia and New Zealand are both great locations for export. I had a mate here in Singapore who bought a 550M many years back, drove it for 12 months, then imported it to Australia, drove it for another 6 months and then still sold it for a profit.

A few things swing around and the Aussie dollar is pretty volatile but there can be an arb there for sure, especially with bulk freight so cheap nowadays. Has always been a target for Singapore dealers.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Compared to other markets, Australia is hugely expensive. I doubt Ferrari sells that many cars their either as it never appears in their list of top markets.

In terms of values, looking at the market in Germany, 12Cs seem to be doing better now than 458s.

458s:http://www.autoscout24.de/ListGN.as...000&fregfrom=2011&fregto=2012&cy=D&ustate=N,U

12Cs: http://www.autoscout24.de/ListGN.as...030&pricefrom=1000&cy=D&ustate=N,U&fromhome=1
my 458 on the market for 18 months on the cote d'azur... not so much as a sniff and te price keeps going down and down and donwn.... thanks to the Italian tax collectors!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my 458 on the market for 18 months on the cote d'azur... not so much as a sniff and te price keeps going down and down and donwn.... thanks to the Italian tax collectors!
Mike,i take it its a left hooker and pointless bringing back home,Ps can you get a ski rack for it it could come in usefull when you visit the valle d;abondance:cool:

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Mike,i take it its a left hooker and pointless bringing back home,Ps can you get a ski rack for it it could come in usefull when you visit the valle d;abondance:cool:
yes left hooker... really haven't got a clue what to do with it ./.. was thinking of upgrading it to a spider, but obviously the 458 spyder not in the 12c spider league either, so fairly pointless... think I will just have to get rid and move on..

maybe we do a deep winter test at some point chap, as your 12 c clearly used to those conditions.. !

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes left hooker... really haven't got a clue what to do with it ./.. was thinking of upgrading it to a spider, but obviously the 458 spyder not in the 12c spider league either, so fairly pointless... think I will just have to get rid and move on..

maybe we do a deep winter test at some point chap, as your 12 c clearly used to those conditions.. !
I;m up for it if we can get sponsorship and some of McLaren;s advertising budget , Pirelli winter tyres on loan would help also .I would do the rest for free;)

·
Administrator
2,745 Posts

A few of the McLaren dealers also have a Ferrari dealership in their network so you might be able to p/x the 458 against a 12C Spider.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts