McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It won't be long before the 2012's are gone - we all know what happens when demand rises and supply lowers.

Unless someone is trading their MP4 for a spider - there is no replacement.

I feel like a late comer and became a fan once the car made it into the playoffs.

Better late than never!

·
Owner
893 Posts
The 2012's will be all gone soon; and, thankfully they have squeezed 2013 coupe production down to a trickle. I sure hoped they have learned their lesson. :)

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2012's will be all gone soon; and, thankfully they have squeezed 2013 coupe production down to a trickle. I sure hoped they have learned their lesson. :)
Seeing a steady stream of new buyers here - somethings seems to be working.

The US economy is performing well which doesn't hurt either.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Now can you imagine what would have happened if Ron and his marketing department or lack there of put a little effort into marketing this beauty. Cheers.....??

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now can you imagine what would have happened if Ron and his marketing department or lack there of put a little effort into marketing this beauty. Cheers.....����
I don't know - it's possible that there was enough mark up for dealers that the intentions may have been for the dealers to do some PR / Track days which would have sold more units much faster.

Problem is at least in the US the majority of Mclaren dealers are also Ferrari and they have NEVER done anything but take orders.

G-d forbid a salesman actually sells something - I believe the typical salesman at the dealer simply handed over a Ferrari build sheet :(

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Now can you imagine what would have happened if Ron and his marketing department or lack there of put a little effort into marketing this beauty. Cheers.....??
From what I can tell they seem to be doing a better job of marketing than any of their Italian competitors. What makes me say this is the steady stream of videos that are on YouTube that I don't see others doing.

As for Doug's comment. IMHO all the current 12C buyers are genuine car enthusiasts, the signatures on this site alone speak to that and the multitude of variety in the garages of members. Whereas there is likely a BIG percentage of 458 owners that buy it simply because they hit a nice IPO or pay day and figure they should buy a Ferrari now.

It will take time for McLaren to build that kind of cachet among regular Joe who isn't a car enthusiast.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
From what I can tell they seem to be doing a better job of marketing than any of their Italian competitors. What makes me say this is the steady stream of videos that are on YouTube that I don't see others doing.

As for Doug's comment. IMHO all the current 12C buyers are genuine car enthusiasts, the signatures on this site alone speak to that and the multitude of variety in the garages of members. Whereas there is likely a BIG percentage of 458 owners that buy it simply because they hit a nice IPO or pay day and figure they should buy a Ferrari now.

It will take time for McLaren to build that kind of cachet among regular Joe who isn't a car enthusiast.
Think your right there Andrew!

·
Registered
106 Posts
The MP4 is way too good of a car to trade at the prices it does. Nothing in the market outside of the $1 mil+ boutique cars is this fast. I've taken a few people out and everyone one of them was shocked at how fast the car was vs their expectation. Drives great, sounds great, looks pretty good. Hopefully McLaren has taken away some important lessons from what should objectively be viewed as a totally botched launch.

I do think that word of mouth will make these cars more desirable. If you're after big performance, it is the car to have anywhere near current market values.

·
Owner
893 Posts
Agree as well.

McLaren has really gotten it right now with the 12Cs. Car is just terrific. As word continues to spread more will keep coming on board.
So, ..... How long before we can demand a 'higher priced sales' ransom for our cars :D, now that enthusiasts will be clamoring for these bad boys ! ;)
It's nice that people have, at last, seen the light !! Maybe McLaren should adopt the old Lotus motto: "For the few who know the difference™" :)

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ferrari club run today.

I brought the Mac and my son took the 16M.

We started at a local car show 200 plus cars and everyone was all over the Mac including the Ferrari owners - commenting how surprised they were at it's appearance in the flesh.

The group is spirited - normally run very well with a 458 in the 16M.

This time I followed the 458 for a good portion - while he was in and out of the lines I never touched one.

Finally I passed and he struggled to stay in the rear view.

His only comment - the Mac is too quiet so he couldn't hear me go WOT like the 16M causing him to react late and by that time he went WOT the Mac was gone. :)

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,750 Posts
This time I followed the 458 for a good portion - while he was in and out of the lines I never touched one.

Finally I passed and he struggled to stay in the rear view.

His only comment - the Mac is too quiet so he couldn't hear me go WOT like the 16M causing him to react late and by that time he went WOT the Mac was gone. :)
Not at all surprised. The 12C is much quicker than the 430 Scuderia and with less drama. While it is a bit more subtle, you certainly know what the 12C is doing at all times.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Not at all surprised. The 12C is much quicker than the 430 Scuderia and with less drama. While it is a bit more subtle, you certainly know what the 12C is doing at all times.
I was pleasantly surprised - never imagined it was going to perform at an all around new level.

The wife certainly enjoyed it a lot more - another big bonus.

Woke up to a "Dad you ready cars are warm" - keep in mind he's 21 and never awoken before 7 on a Sunday.

Here we go - his first and last win leaving the driveway :)

Attachments

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
What about the car makes it appeal more to the 'better halves' than its rivals?
Is it the suspension comfort of neutral mode?

I suspect the answer from mine would be "it's focused and simple. Unlike its owner." :eek:
Suspension,ease of use,and mainly because it dosn:t feel like the size of a truck!! At least that's what my other half thinks.Although they do get a bit miffed when they find out about the lack of a vanity mirror.Try explaining that to a women without feeling a bit of an idiot:)

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What about the car makes it appeal more to the 'better halves' than its rivals?
Is it the suspension comfort of neutral mode?

I suspect the answer from mine would be "it's focused and simple. Unlike its owner." :eek:
Ramy - It drives very smooth and it's a lot quieter than the raw 16M.

The Mac on my first spirited run was effortless vs the 16M. Don't get me wrong the 16M is very capable but it's not made with the significant other in mind.

As Boxer said the car is drama free which fools a lot of people.

Andy C - but they now have their own a/c unit. :)

Boxer - she won't drive it yet but very soon - she may be concerned I will ask to ride her horses in return which will not ever happen.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Ramy - It drives very smooth and it's a lot quieter than the raw 16M.

The Mac on my first spirited run was effortless vs the 16M. Don't get me wrong the 16M is very capable but it's not made with the significant other in mind.

As Boxer said the car is drama free which fools a lot of people.

Andy C - but they now have their own a/c unit. :)

Boxer - she won't drive it yet but very soon - she may be concerned I will ask to ride her horses in return which will not ever happen.
True Doug,but thankfully the weather in blighty negates the need for an argument about whose is the middle vent !!:D

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
True Doug,but thankfully the weather in blighty negates the need for an argument about whose is the middle vent !!:D

I think the middle vent heat setting is controlled by the left seat occupant .....i.e. my wife. No arguments then.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts