McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you believe over 100whp/tq is worth 4k. It's the cheapest $ per hp gain on a McLaren. If you are in search of more power than this is your best option.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you believe over 100whp/tq is worth 4k. It's the cheapest $ per hp gain on a McLaren. If you are in search of more power than this is your best option.
With that extra horsepower, won’t the Power to the rear wheels cause traction loss and slow it down

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is there a big difference
Just asking
Watching videos on YouTube and I only see a .01 and .02 difference in a mile times

·
Registered
391 Posts
it will be immediately apparent that the car is faster. Depending on your circumstance you might or might not be able to use the extra power. For the street it will make ripping through a couple gears more enjoyable, highway definitively, track... depends on your skill level and the track itself.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Do you sit in the car and think, this is just not fast enough? I never feel that. I do think, I wish I had more traction. Adding more power will make the traction problem worse. I don't see any value. The car is a missile from the factory.
People pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for more power (Koenigsegg) without more traction. There are 720S that with the right tire are making good use of that extra power. mid 3 second 60-130 mph.

·
Registered
815 Posts
People pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for more power (Koenigsegg) without more traction. There are 720S that with the right tire are making good use of that extra power. mid 3 second 60-130 mph.
Traction is less of an issue at speed because power = force * speed.

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,542 Posts
I'll echo what others have said... The tune will void your warranty if you ever have a powertrain issue. I had a turbo inlet pipe fail (the plastic internal baffle broke off and got sucked into the turbo) and the turbo and intercooler had to be replaced. I am glad I didn't have a tune on my car or that would not have been covered under warranty.

I rarely ever wish I had more power in the 720, and you simply cannot drive the car at wide open throttle on public roads.

I had a tuned 12C, and the power gain was noticeable esp in the mid-range RPMs. It made driving the car more exciting and fun. The car tended to have issues on track though including too much power coming out of turns onto straights with some rear wheel spin and the car would often overheat until I added water-meth injection. (The track was in the California desert and was well over 110 degrees F).

Yes, you will lose traction as the excellent 720 traction control system is designed for the factory HP and torque. Yes, the car will likely be SLOWER off the line because of loss of traction, but some people have had some excellent results by changing to stickier rear tires (like Toyo R888Rs).

If you decide to tune, ONLY use a reputable McLaren tuner who has done many 720 tunes. Don't take your chance with anyone else. I'd recommend Dynospectrum, DME, or Weistec. I have heard rumors that even these reputable companies have had some major motor issues but I don't have any proof.

·
Registered
108 Posts

Modded 720 with a tune and turbos vs stock one. Skip to 6:30 for results.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Traction is less of an issue at speed because power = force * speed.
Most people buying those cars are doing the same speeds owners of 720S are doing. Maybe 2% of those customers are actually going 200+ mph, at which the same thing would be true for a 720S.

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,542 Posts

Modded 720 with a tune and turbos vs stock one. Skip to 6:30 for results.
Great comparison video. IMHO, tune/turbos/etc only makes sense if you do a lot of 1/2 mile top speed straight line events when you can use the extra power.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Great comparison video. IMHO, tune/turbos/etc only makes sense if you do a lot of 1/2 mile top speed straight line events when you can use the extra power.
Exactly, it all depends what the OP wants. Does he want a track car? Get a 600LT or Senna. Does he want a fun canyon driver? Get a 570. Does he want the absolute fastest car money can buy from a roll that will pretty much destroy anything? Get a TT Underground Racing Huracan. Does he want an overall car that can do everything very well? Get a stock 720.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Its a world of a difference. But you will need better rear tires, Toyo R888R. A tuned 720s will beat up on any stock car on the planet short of a koeniggsegg

·
Registered
36 Posts
The ONLY reason I'd get a tune on 720 is to improve on the initial lag off the line. Otherwise, I think you'd be better off getting stickier tires.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts