McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a bunch of IRIS threads, but I thought it might be helpful to share information on the upgrade costs.

Originally I was informed the upgrade would be $2200 plus labor and tax. I just got word that the actual number will be $3696.99 plus tax, and will only be available at that price for the rest of the year. They claim it will be a multiple of that in 2014. Leaving other issues about this to other threads, how does this price compare with other confirmed prices?

·
Registered
983 Posts
I heard ~$4K installed as well, which is pretty spot on to your quote as well. McLaren has done a wonderful job of guaranteeing that I become lifelong Porsche owner (at least their prices are presented up front).

·
Registered
49 Posts
I heard ~$4K installed as well, which is pretty spot on to your quote as well. McLaren has done a wonderful job of guaranteeing that I become lifelong Porsche owner (at least their prices are presented up front).
Can't say I really understand that statement? If you have a 2012 OR 2013 car then you didn't pay for navigation or Bluetooth at ALL. They were not a charge on the MSRP and were provided to owners free of charge. So, what "up front" price were you unaware of?

~CaliMac

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
If Porsche came out with a new system, you wouldn't be able to upgrade at anything other than full price, and possibly not even upgrade at all.

They are saying it's cheaper now than it will be next year. So what it ends up costing next year isn't somewhat irrelevant, no?

As as calimac said, hardly anyone paid for it in the first place either.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
3700 - is what I was told and when the car goes in they will have one with my name on it - was told they will triple it.

I have spent far more for this for an aftermarket stereo and my radar was 2500.00

No offense but not to do this upgrade seems silly and I have never used it but for resale alone it's well worth it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm with Champ's--I'm in too. I think it is cool that they will even do it. Most companies would say "sorry". On my car, McL had actually cut the delivery price of the IRIS from the time that I ordered it. I honestly don't remember how much, but it was many thousands. I don't know if it is a wash or not--but it is probably relatively close if I was to guess.

When I recently ordered a Bentley GT, I asked for alternate color stitching on the dash. They wanted $2k for it. Think about it: they only needed to change the color of the thread in the machine. Nothing else had to change in the production process. But, if you want the color, you pay. If you don't, you don't. Kind of the name of the game here.:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got quoted $7,300 yesterday ...
For between 3k to 4k I would do it , but what guarantee do we have that the system will work after the experience with the original Iris ?
What if it ends being the same or even worst that the original ?

·
Registered
359 Posts
UK cost of £1369, EVO has had their long term test car upgraded - sounds to be just the ticket!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Nick is clearly lurking about.

Perhaps we can coax him out by employing cunning wit...

Hey Nick, what's up?

·
Owner
893 Posts
3700 - is what I was told and when the car goes in they will have one with my name on it - was told they will triple it.

I have spent far more for this for an aftermarket stereo and my radar was 2500.00

No offense but not to do this upgrade seems silly and I have never used it but for resale alone it's well worth it.
No offense but .......... Do you ever find fault with any McLaren screws ups ?? So many on here, get walked all over, and then say: Thank You. :rolleyes:
Is there something in the water here?:D

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
No offense but .......... Do you ever find fault with any McLaren screws ups ?? So many on here, get walked all over, and then say: Thank You. :rolleyes:
Is there something in the water here?:D
None taken :)

Try owning a Ferrari - they close your local service center ... make that two Ferrari's and you now have to pay to ship it 300 miles - making any warranty work cost a minimum of 1200.00 per car.

Oh and then be fortunate enough to have Ferrari take over 5 months to ship parts.

Mclaren stated in writing - we will either fly a tech or pay for all shipping costs to ensure your car is in proper working order. Because the dealer stocks a whole car who else does that?

Ok aside from that - Mclaren updates my used car to a brand new Mclaren adding hp etc. that's unprecedented.

That's not enough - they then offer to upgrade my car to a 2014 platform which let's be honest is the only valid complaint from any Mac owner - for 3000.00

Yept - it's the water alright that makes me happy vs hemlock. and I could go about a Bentley RR Mercedes etc that makes Ferrari look good.

·
Owner
277 Posts
I think this answers the question of cost This is Newport Beach McLaren a top notch dealer. $3540 Installed Inc parts and Labor.

It's been announced recently that McLaren Automotive will be shipping the new Android-based Parrot Infotainment Systems very soon. The new Parrot Infotainment System includes many upgrades in functionality, ease-of-use, and responsiveness. This new system is beyond a simple software update as this system requires additional hardware to complete the upgrade.
The new system includes Navigation with Live Traffic updates via TMC or 3G/LTE, Online Mapping & Searching with Navigation Integration, AM/FM/Local/Internet-Radio Tuner, Multimedia/Music Media playback via local sources (iPod/USB-thumb drives), & Internet Browsing. In addition, Bluetooth will be managing phone calls when paired with a device which will feature Active Echo Cancellation & Noise Reduction systems. To further compliment the mobile-friendly system, Voice Recognition and Text-to-Speak systems will enhance the functionality of the 12C's Bluetooth system and also allow users to search media/songs via voice-searching.
This is all made possible by Parrot using the 12C's CAN bus system. Another upgrade that users will immediately notice the increased responsiveness of the unit's touch-screen. Users will find that the sensitivity and ability to use the on-screen keyboard will be more intuitive than past systems. We're all looking forward to this new system from McLaren and Parrot.

*screenshots taken from McLarenLife.com*​
To order you're new Parrot System, please call our Service Manager Troy at (714) 881-4575.​
The price of the new system will be $3,540 installed which includes Parts + Labor.​

·
Registered
418 Posts
Fastlane, you are correct about one thing, they are truly a top notch dealer with no BS ever. I was worried when Grant left, but all I can say is thank god for Troy and Sean.

·
Owner
893 Posts
None taken :)

Try owning a Ferrari - they close your local service center ... make that two Ferrari's and you now have to pay to ship it 300 miles - making any warranty work cost a minimum of 1200.00 per car.

Oh and then be fortunate enough to have Ferrari take over 5 months to ship parts.

Mclaren stated in writing - we will either fly a tech or pay for all shipping costs to ensure your car is in proper working order. Because the dealer stocks a whole car who else does that?

Ok aside from that - Mclaren updates my used car to a brand new Mclaren adding hp etc. that's unprecedented.

That's not enough - they then offer to upgrade my car to a 2014 platform which let's be honest is the only valid complaint from any Mac owner - for 3000.00

Yept - it's the water alright that makes me happy vs hemlock. and I could go about a Bentley RR Mercedes etc that makes Ferrari look good.
I just know that I was treated 100% better with Lamborghini's service than with Woking-style.
My car contained the hp update right from the factory. But, had it been needed ..... Having the lads throw me the free bone for their mediocrity, wouldn't impress me.
Hemlock or KoolAid ....... Imbroglio !! ;) </joke>

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I just know that I was treated 100% better with Lamborghini's service than with Woking-style.
My car contained the hp update right from the factory. But, had it been needed ..... Having the lads throw me the free bone for their mediocrity, wouldn't impress me.
If you find the car/build mediocre, and the service to be subpar, then I understand your looking at everyone else as nuts. Also would make sense for you to get a lambo in light of those experiences.

I've had the exact opposite experience. Most experiences for me have been: you buy a car, there it is, as is, forever like that; all its foibles are permanent. No improvements. No offers for upgrades. No tuning. I think the 592hp car was pretty good. Getting a 625hp car, retuned throttle, traction control, option to get the latest entertainment system. To me those are all glass half full things. I can see some looking at as glass half empty; but I've never seen any other companies do better or more.

Sorry to hear your experience is/was so negative. Hoping your next experience is a lot better limey.

·
Owner
893 Posts
If you find the car/build mediocre, and the service to be subpar, then I understand your looking at everyone else as nuts. Also would make sense for you to get a lambo in light of those experiences....
....Sorry to hear your experience is/was so negative. Hoping your next experience is a lot better limey.
In my case, I do agree on your points, jkheit. Sadly, back pain was the icing on my cake.:(
Unfortunately, I was not the only one on here who had negative experiences with issues, dealership, etc. Even if I personally had none, I would not wave the flag so vigorously after seeing others with legitimate problems bitching. For some odd reason this seems to be the way it is on internet car forums, however.:rolleyes:
Just as an aside, all of the Lotus cars that I owned were given free upgrades to improve them, so this is nothing revolutionary in my mind. Granted, in those days, they could not just 'flip a switch' the way they can today to increase the horsepower; you were on your own in that department.
:)

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Dissatisfied Lamborghini owners don't exist?

C'mon Aventadors have been thru transmission under hard use like a bubble gum machine.

Difference is IMO is Mclaren improves quality for free - the 3700.00 IRIS is free and owners had the use of a loaner and can retain the upgraded loaner - for free.

Keep in mind I have never used my Nav on any car and won't so this is a non issue but you gotta keep things in perspective.

Lamborghini is a massive corporation while Mclare is a little guy trying to do great things. If you can't justify buying into something special vs a massive company it's probably not a good adventure to endure. Which is exactly why they depreciated when the latest and greatest went thru these cars like they had a shelf life under 1 year.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Dissatisfied Lamborghini owners don't exist?

C'mon Aventadors have been thru transmission under hard use like a bubble gum machine.

Difference is IMO is Mclaren improves quality for free - the 3700.00 IRIS is free and owners had the use of a loaner and can retain the upgraded loaner - for free.

Keep in mind I have never used my Nav on any car and won't so this is a non issue but you gotta keep things in perspective.

Lamborghini is a massive corporation while Mclare is a little guy trying to do great things. If you can't justify buying into something special vs a massive company it's probably not a good adventure to endure. Which is exactly why they depreciated when the latest and greatest went thru these cars like they had a shelf life under 1 year.
I have been very dissatisfied during my Lamborghini ownership. But it is really because of the crappy dealer network. Needed a new plastic clip for my overhead compartment that kept falling down, so the Bellevue dealer shipped me a new one in a normal envelope, guess what it looked like when I opened the letter? Broken clip. Positive though that Lamborghini Customer Service took care of it, and the next day I had a new clip overnighted in a secure box this time.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
In my case, I do agree on your points, jkheit. Sadly, back pain was the icing on my cake.:(
Unfortunately, I was not the only one on here who had negative experiences with issues, dealership, etc. Even if I personally had none, I would not wave the flag so vigorously after seeing others with legitimate problems bitching. For some odd reason this seems to be the way it is on internet car forums, however.:rolleyes:
:)
I've acknowledged the problems in a bunch of threads. Problems *will* happen with any car. Even Honda will produce a lemon here or there. Just because a few Honda owners had a bad experience, doesn't mean Honda's are bad cars or it's a bad company. You can't let the tail wag the dog; and in the forums, that happens all the time; I think we agree in principle if not on the details here. :)

So you have to keep things in context/perspective as to the scope of the problems and what the company generally does to squash issues. While I suspect we disagree on this point, and I suspect the dealer has a lot to do with the difference in experience (which speaks of a problem in and of itself that there isn't better quality control over some of the lesser dealers), but, in general, I think McLaren has done an amazing job in a) putting out a great product, b) identifying problems, c) fixing those problems, d) improving build, and e) offering a path to existing owners to benefit from all those fixes and improvements.

As always, YMMV.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts