McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

as a lurker for the past six months I finally found the right deal for me, so I traded my 2008 Gallardo Spider and Ferrari 360 Spider in towards the purchase of 2014 - 12C Spider. Pictures to come once the car gets here.

I used the buyers guide/known problems FAQ/Sticky to have the headlights and HVAC displays replaced on my car before taking delivery. The one area that still causes me angst is IRIS. I was hoping to start a thread that could be the complete IRIS story thread for others to reference. At a high level I understand IRIS V1 vs V2 and you can tell the difference by looking at the buttons to see detents in the V1 buttons and silk screen images on the V2 buttons. I believe by time you get to 2014 models they should all have had the V2 system. BUT as I test drove several 2014's some had real responsive IRIS touch screens while others were a pig and lagged horribly.

As a computer engineer I hacked my iPhone V1 the first month I had it. I hated the restrictions of Apple iOS and have become an Android devotee now using Samsung Galaxy Notes. I know Iris V2 is based on Android so there are easy rooting/hacking options to get inside if need be. What I'm not clear on is how do you know when touch screen responsiveness or lack there of is due to a bad touch screen or an older/bad version of the OS? ZP your my hero with all of your posts and I know you have rooted your IRIS system, I eventually wanna pick your brain!

When my car was at the dealer getting the headlights and HVAC replaced the service manager said oh all IRIS systems are slow, it's just that way. At the same dealer they had a 2014 Spider where the touch screen was super fast/responsive and when I asked the sales guy why he said it had all the latest software upgrades. So how do I find or can we build a table of software versions as an FAQ to know up to what versions are good, bad, a pig, just plain unusable etc? The Parrot website is pretty tight lipped on details and only offers dealer/developer access. Is there a Parrot/Android forum with more details? Below is a picture of my IRIS version information can any one tell if my car is running the latest HW/SW versions?

Sorry I drag and drop the picture vertical but the upload rotates it......

Scott in sunny FL!

Attachments

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,164 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, but I have not rooted IRIS. A user that we haven't seen in a long time by the name of FTYL rooted IRIS. You can find comments of his exploits here:

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-owners-lounge/6761-iris-2-a-3.html#post145049

(envy causing) screen shots here:
http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-owners-lounge/6761-iris-2-a.html#post158625

And basic info about IRIS/android here:
http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-owners-lounge/6761-iris-2-a-2.html#post145617

FTYL teased us that he would share his hack with us, but it never happened. I would love the hack as I would just love to get Waze.app on if nothing else. The Parrot site has a website for downloading apps, etc, but it didn't work when I tried it through the IRIS browser. I suspect there are other ways to use the browser to look at a local thumb drive etc. to root the system, but my hacking days are long behind me. :D

If you figure it out, PLEASE share with the group, as I know lots of others would love it. Maybe make a video.

Now, on to your screen responsiveness issue. I think there are at least 2 possibilities. Possibility 1 is there is a secret IRIS 2.5 model that might have more memory and/or a faster CPU. The official word back from McLaren is that it's the same IRIS 2 in all models. This is likely true as they are sourcing this from Parrot, and it's not clear that they would modify the setup for purposes of uniformity.

I think what the more likely issue is touch screen degradation. Over time, my screen would get less and less responsive, and I'd have to smear/push for pushes to register. This is noted in the buyers guide list of known problems. http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/m...claren-mp4-12c-buyer-s-guide.html#post1184370 Im not sure if this had any other ancillary effects that made the system feel more like molasses. But once it was diagnosed, under warranty, they replaced the touch screen, and everything seemed more sprightly. Perhaps they changed the system over to the non-existant IRIS 2.5. :D

I think the truth lies somewhere in between. Even though McLaren claims it's the same IRIS 2 in the 570 etc., I don't think that can be true. The 570 and P1 need more access to CAN for the telemetry and HVAC systems. Yes, those apps (as well as the manual) lay dormant on the 12C, even though they are there, but I think there is some physical plug difference for the newer cars to access CAN for those apps. Now does that include some CPU/memory boost? Are those units backward compatible with the 12C? Good questions. I don't know the answers.

Hope some of that is helpful.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ZP,

Thanks for the detailed follow up and after reading TONs of threads I somehow confused you as the guy who hacked IRIS at some point. Back to the point of this thread. I was hoping we could get some folks to post the image below to help build a correlation table that show's what IRIS SW/HW versions are good/acceptable/downright dogs. To your point IF a V2.5 exists we should be able to determine this by the different version numbers. Notice in the screen shot I don't have all HW/SW information but there is a System controller box and Display Unit. Both will have a HW/SW version number to compare

So I would put in the DOG category
System HW: 11M2918CP.01 SW: 11M2910CP.61
Display HW: 11M2921CP.01 SW:?

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
First congrats on a beautiful car!

Although I have a 2012 coupe I had my IRIS2 system replaced last year due to the non-responsive screen. The system is also supposedly running all of the latest software versions. I have attached images of the system versions. For what it is worth the system is still SLOW although at least it is now more responsive to touch.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
THANK YOU TSTires....this is exactly what I was hoping for. With enough posts on the version information I'll put the data in a spreadsheet and see if I can find if there is a magic version number where things get better. Interesting to note first difference. My car is 2014 Model that was built in December 2013. My Display HW Version is one revision different from yours ie CP.01 vs CP.02 but yet yours being a 2012 upgrade is still slow. Any chance you know what year/month you were upgraded?

One 12C I test drove was at a McLaren dealership and it had a CPO and the IRIS system was very snappy. That's the one where the salesman said the latest SW updates makes all the difference. He showed me on his iPhone how the built in Nav stinks but he was using Google Maps on his phone and IRIS was basically replicating his iPhone display giving him good responsiveness, guidance and at at the same time streaming music via BlueTooth

·
Registered
63 Posts
<<Any chance you know what year/month you were upgraded? >>

My IRIS system was replaced in February of this year and all systems were upgraded.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,164 Posts
So it looks like everyone so far has the same system version, but the display unit may be updated to a version 2. My guess is the display part does not house the CPU or memory, and is just the touch screen and display assembly. So this goes back to my previous theory. To the extent that the display unit may be failing, perhaps it's making things feel sluggish. But the base CPU is the same it would seem (so far).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Zombie --

I can say for sure that although my display unit shows as an .02 revision it is NO faster than the original in any application especially the backup camera so it would not appear there were any memory or CPU upgrades.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so I was the one who started this thread and I went silent for a couple of weeks. First was Hurricane Mathew which didn't make landfall on Florida but passed within 30-40 miles of me and definitely made a mess. So the delivery of my 12C was delayed 4 days as the result of said hurricane but it did finally arrive last week. Late last Friday I was able to apply for title and transfer a tag and Sunday was my day to play. Spent the morning beginning my detail regiment. Before going out for an afternoon of fun I spent some time with IRIS to better understand what my situation is. I'm convinced the left half of my touch screen display is dead. Maybe even the middle half if such thing can be described. What I find is the farthest most right side of the screen responds to commands. I used my now FAA banned Galaxy Note 7 phone to record some of the bizarre behavior and sent it to my local dealer in hopes of getting my touch screen replaced under warranty. Please watch this and tell me if your IRIS is this sluggish, unwilling to respond to touches on the left hand side of the display.....Windows Media player will play this vertically I found others render it sideways

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23778056/McLaren/IRIS_SUX.mp4

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,164 Posts
Ok, so I was the one who started this thread and I went silent for a couple of weeks. First was Hurricane Mathew which didn't make landfall on Florida but passed within 30-40 miles of me and definitely made a mess. So the delivery of my 12C was delayed 4 days as the result of said hurricane but it did finally arrive last week. Late last Friday I was able to apply for title and transfer a tag and Sunday was my day to play. Spent the morning beginning my detail regiment. Before going out for an afternoon of fun I spent some time with IRIS to better understand what my situation is. I'm convinced the left half of my touch screen display is dead. Maybe even the middle half if such thing can be described. What I find is the farthest most right side of the screen responds to commands. I used my now FAA banned Galaxy Note 7 phone to record some of the bizarre behavior and sent it to my local dealer in hopes of getting my touch screen replaced under warranty. Please watch this and tell me if your IRIS is this sluggish, unwilling to respond to touches on the left hand side of the display.....Windows Media player will play this vertically I found others render it sideways

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23778056/McLaren/IRIS_SUX.mp4
Yes. Your touch screen has gone bad. If you notice when you smear your finger you get a reaction. That's the trick to get things done until you get it replaced. But that is a classic case of the touchscreen dying

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,

Update on my IRIS touchscreen performance problems. I reached out to McLaren of Tampa asking how can we address this problem. Their first response was for me to bring the car to them, 160 miles away, for diagnosis. I sent them the link to the video hoping to avoid a trip over and back, they said bring the car in for diagnosis. I found the service record from when the headlights and HVAC displays were replaced in September and said hay wait a minute another dealer properly diagnosed this and said parts need to be ordered can't we just order the parts and I'll come over once they are in? See snippet below:

They were still up in the air even with this proof blaming McLaren corporate for wanting them to diagnosis B4 ordering parts. I just happened to be in the area this past weekend 4A Halloween party, so I paid a visit to the dealer and had a very nice chat with a Bloke who was clearly from the mothership! He agreed this was ridiculous and now the parts have been ordered and I should be able to go over in 2-3 weeks for IRIS touchscreen replacement and reprogramming. I'm due for my 3rd year service in December so I'm hoping to tie this all together in one visit.

Scott

Attachments

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,164 Posts
Hi,

Update on my IRIS touchscreen performance problems. I reached out to McLaren of Tampa asking how can we address this problem. Their first response was for me to bring the car to them, 160 miles away, for diagnosis. I sent them the link to the video hoping to avoid a trip over and back, they said bring the car in for diagnosis. I found the service record from when the headlights and HVAC displays were replaced in September and said hay wait a minute another dealer properly diagnosed this and said parts need to be ordered can't we just order the parts and I'll come over once they are in? See snippet below:

They were still up in the air even with this proof blaming McLaren corporate for wanting them to diagnosis B4 ordering parts. I just happened to be in the area this past weekend 4A Halloween party, so I paid a visit to the dealer and had a very nice chat with a Bloke who was clearly from the mothership! He agreed this was ridiculous and now the parts have been ordered and I should be able to go over in 2-3 weeks for IRIS touchscreen replacement and reprogramming. I'm due for my 3rd year service in December so I'm hoping to tie this all together in one visit.

Scott
Glad they came to their senses.

Make sure you do your service at least 2-3 weeks before the end of your warranty. So that way anything they find will clearly be covered, and you have enough time to get the car back and make sure it's solid before the warranty lapses.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
okay, i can give you the definitive answers. i have had a lot of experience with the IRIS II in part because i use it everyday. many people do not even know how to properly set up the navigation so you can actually see the street signs of the freeway, or the music list via bluetooth or usb so you can easily choose between album, artistes, songs etc. and easily go back and forth

1. YES, the screen over time does lose its ability to be touch sensitive, i do not know why and if the service department knows, they are not talking. when your unit requires you to not have the ability to touch the screen and have it respond then McLaren will actually replace your top unit, but they will want to test it first and not take your word for it. Service department tells me the top half alone costs $8k to replace, the good news is the IRIS is replaceable even on the extended warranty!!!
NOTE, there is also a bottom half which takes a lot longer to replace (3.5 to 4 hours), i had my bottom half replaced as well within the last six months. to replace the bottom half your IRIS must have a lot of things wrong. I asked the service department if it is the same unit as in the 675 which has many belles and whistles, - they claim to the best of their knowledge it is, EXCEPT, the 675 has other wires to connect to it that the MP4 does not come with.
2. .Software updates are not the same for each model, for example, the 650s allows the software update to download the full maintenance manual so it can be reviewed on IRIS screen. i got permission to download it onto my IRIS II, it worked but my IRIS II would not bring it up, apparently there are other updates required and McLaren service did not know which so it was removed. Basically, McLaren service downloads according to the model auto you have, not according to the number of wires you have to attach. For example, the 570s does not have the features the 570GT has and they are basically the same auto. some of the features turn on when needed on the IRIS, for example the MP4 has temp/fan dials on the doors, if they were removed to allow for the extra speaker used in the 675 then the IRIS would place temp fan controls on the IRIS screen.
3. you speak of versions, i DEFINITELY have the latest versions as follows:

DSIPLAY
Hardware part number 11M2921CP.02
PF number 821001CA4F004199
PCB 1322
Application Version 01.24
updater version 01.02

Radio Tuner
Mc Hardware 11M2932CP.01
Gateway (K20) 9
Gateway updater 9
AM/FM App Version 329

MERIDIAN
Mc Hardware part 11M1923CP.03 H
Mc Software Part 11M2433CP.03 H
APP Verion 1.0.5

Vehicle Gateway
App Version 02.82.08
Updater Version 02.57.00

i now suggest you compare my numbers to those on the 675LT preferable the spider since it will most likely be more advanced than the coupe since McLaren is always making improvements, they just do not talk about it. some of the improvements are better, some are done to reduce costs. I found it a good read to hear that the pistons on the MP4 were actually better than on the 675LT or 570, (see Tuner build for more details)

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have a 2014 and as far as I'm concerned, the IRIS setup works really well. Next time I'm in my car I'll try to remember to grab all of the necessary info from it to post here.

The only thing I wish I could fix is for it to ignore "the" at the beginning of album/song/band names for sorting purposes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.