McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

Picked up my car. It's a freak'n terrorist of a car.

The dealer will come to pick it up and install the radar detector and xpel next week (sick service).

But wondering somethings and hoping all you veterans might have some insights.

(1) Bluetooth contacts. So Iris is fantastically easy to pair with an iPhone and pulled my contacts out. However, it didn't seem to pull the addresses. Is that right? Is there some way to import those? It seems wacky that I have contacts for phonecalls, but it doesn't pull in my contacts for navigation so that I have to manually enter them.

(2) No traffic. No satellite radio. I don't care about the satellite radio, but not having traffic information for navigation kinda sucks. Luckily the iPhone props nicely on the console screen, but this seems like a glaring omission. Do you guys think this might be fixed via software update? I could see the car using the iPhone tether via bluetooth to get the latest traffic information for the Iris nav.

(3) Nav/Music transitions are rather jarring. My other cars slightly mute the music to the background and play instructions over it. Hopefully something less jarring (even a slight fade out/in) will come in a software update.

(4) My iPod takes a while to "sync" up before Iris can see it. Seems like the system should cache some of the music in, but it doesn't. Is this normal? BTW, reading the manual, it notes the car has a built in storage drive, does anyone know how to copy music from your iPod into the built in storage device? I'm just curious.

(5) Scrolling through large music lists is slow. I wish there was a "alphabet slider" kind of like in the address book on the iphone where you can just slide your finger down the alphabet letters to scroll to the gross section of your music library before using finer scrolling. This would be a good software update.

(6) the keyboard that slides up for "searching" seems like it could be calibrated a bit better. I think it might result from typing to it from the side that makes some keys tougher to hit accurately. Is there a way to calibrate the keyboard?

(7) the car could use a hands'free Siri like connection. Actually, I wish the car would just project my iPhone screen to the console and let me use that as a bigger iPhone screen. I wonder if they have any plans to integrate Siri integration like a few other car makers have.

(8) I like that the Iris/console interface is like a simplified large smartphone. This is brilliant, and I hope they keep honing it down.

(9) The nav is jerky/slow to update relative to an iPhone, that seems to update butter smooth. Also, it doesn't seem to "zoom in" to a turn when approaching to show the exit. The "miles to turn" text is way too small, and doesn't seem to show the exit number on turn off. Does anyone know if there are plans to update these issues?

(10) The airconditioning seems "ok" but not super strong. I tested a couple of cars and it seems the same in teh 2013's and 2012's. It's fine, but if it were a bit more frosty, it wouldnt hurt. Do others find the same thing?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
The air con heat,cold settings are a work in progress. Mine has been recalibrated a number of times. Started super cold with moderate heat. Now moderate h & c.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Is there an AUX port for using an ipod or sirius unit?
In the centre console at the rear- also a USB to connect directly..

OP I have all the same comments about the Sat-nav as yourself, however it seems to be working progress. :(

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I reserve my judgement till I use it, but I always have low expectations for these things. For some reason OEMs are incapable of making quality navigation and head units. It's hard to understand how everyone in the world could be so familiar with iOS and Android products, yet have no idea how to provide good user experience in the navigation/head units.

Why can I buy a plastic suction cup and use an Android/iOS device for a few hundred bucks, but can't get such a device from OEM for $5000?

I'm sooooo just waiting for Google and Apple to move into the automotive industry in a bigger way. Huge potential there. Want to lock people into your phone brand? Sell them a car with your OS integration. I'm sure as hell not gonna change brands if as big and long lasting of a purchase such as my car is highly integrated.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The air con heat,cold settings are a work in progress. Mine has been recalibrated a number of times. Started super cold with moderate heat. Now moderate h & c.
Sounds like I'm at the moderate setting. :) It ain't bad, but my old Vette will freeze or melt you and the auto setting was spot on.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't use Iris. The dealer talked me into it for resale value, and to avoid the base audio. Not going to nitpick something I didn't want. I use my iPhone to navigate. Anything else is needless complexity.

·
Administrator
2,745 Posts
I don't use Iris. The dealer talked me into it for resale value, and to avoid the base audio. Not going to nitpick something I didn't want. I use my iPhone to navigate. Anything else is needless complexity.
To be honest, I don't really use any of the stereo or sat nav systems in any of the cars. When I need a Sat Nav, I take the Garmin.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Might want to ask the dealer to install 10.6 update - took some work but Mclaren sent the dealer the software prior to delivery.

I don't sync use nav and never will - it's a super car vs my office.

Curious why if all this is so important to owners why not check out the functions prior to purchase.

Enjoy driving the terrorist :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
In 2008 I was shopping a Lamborghini when the salesman said, "There's only one station, and it's rock n roll." Still true, love the 12C sport exhaust and turbos. Long trips different maybe, time for a doris audiobook or a Joe Satriani thump and wail.

Surprisingly, I find the moniker "terrorist" quite apt. The Maccy is not dangerous to me, but it is to all competitors. Cheers jkheit

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Might want to ask the dealer to install 10.6 update - took some work but Mclaren sent the dealer the software prior to delivery.

Curious why if all this is so important to owners why not check out the functions prior to purchase.

Heh, sometimes it's just assumption based on how new it is and how common things are everywhere else. You want it so bad you overlook something that you just expect to be there. I'm a bit surprised there is no satellite radio, but I just took it for granted that it's there cause it's everywhere else and it's not the very top priority.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

It's not really important. Just musing about how to make the car better. I had EXTREMELY low expectations and was really pleasantly surprised. Most car systems are like a bad TV set top box. Roxio or something.

Mclaren has a *very* different approach. Their UI is more like a phone. And I really think they're on to something here. If they were to add some voice command, and tweak some of the Ui, they would have by far the most useful car UI I've seen. Aesthetically, the UI is the most minimalist and nice car UI i've seen. But, I mentioned the above b/c there are some serious gaps, and gaps that I think can be fixed with updates.

I'm like others where I didn't really plan to rely on the entertainment system, but kinda got sucked in because it is way closer than any other car maker I've seen.

Tethering the car to a phone for data access would be a huge step forward.

As always, YMMV. :)

·
Owner
893 Posts
I too, do not understand the fascination with the navigation and phone 'stuff'. Do people get lost a lot or don't know where you are going on your daily jaunts??
This is a supercar ........ I could care less about being on the phone while I'm driving or looking at a goofy screen for directions to all the places I drive to in my area. I didn't order any of that stuff ...... I guess I follow the old K.I.S.S. theory.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I too, do not understand the fascination with the navigation and phone 'stuff'. Do people get lost a lot or don't know where you are going on your daily jaunts??
This is a supercar ........ I.
A useable supercar...
So, the navigation is used by me on trips well away from my home destination, it would add to the usability of the car and to be fair it has worked quite well of recent... direct to the hotel entrance last week :)

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Heh, sometimes it's just assumption based on how new it is and how common things are everywhere else. You want it so bad you overlook something that you just expect to be there. I'm a bit surprised there is no satellite radio, but I just took it for granted that it's there cause it's everywhere else and it's not the very top priority.
My 612 had a nice system update the prior owner installed - never used it, Ferrari placed if very low on a 325k car as did Bentley on my Supersport another 300k list car.

The 16M is the worst of the worst and it's the upgraded factory model that carried a list of 350k.

Anyway - that's why I am shocked at actually how good Mclaren's is :)

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
It's not really important. Just musing about how to make the car better. I had EXTREMELY low expectations and was really pleasantly surprised. Most car systems are like a bad TV set top box. Roxio or something.

Mclaren has a *very* different approach. Their UI is more like a phone. And I really think they're on to something here. If they were to add some voice command, and tweak some of the Ui, they would have by far the most useful car UI I've seen. Aesthetically, the UI is the most minimalist and nice car UI i've seen. But, I mentioned the above b/c there are some serious gaps, and gaps that I think can be fixed with updates.

I'm like others where I didn't really plan to rely on the entertainment system, but kinda got sucked in because it is way closer than any other car maker I've seen.

Tethering the car to a phone for data access would be a huge step forward.

As always, YMMV. :)
Off topic - I bought a Ford pick up last week and not sure why but it seemed like a good idea. :rolleyes:

Anyway it took a bit to get the paperwork done and a female rep was in the showroom. I allowed her to show me the Ford command center - it was amazingly simple and it worked with voice :)

See if you have the 10.6 update supposedly it's for the Nav and phone sync.

Back on topic - you have a Mclaren best of em all and when are you sharing Kodaks.

·
Owner
277 Posts

Can you list what is in the 10.6 update

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think your observations are more or less typical of the state of the car's infotainment set-up at this point. Clearly, no one buys this car for the Sat Nav, and most have done enough homework to know the issues that are out there in this area.

The irksome part of these gremlins is after getting so much right with this car--and all of the really hard stuff is great--it is amazing McL missed the putt on such easy stuff. GPS is easy. AM/FM radio is easy. It's an avoidable shortcoming to an otherwise brilliant execution.

I have to admit that every time my IRIS does something goofy, I think of Ron D and that youtube video tour he gives when he spots the broken tile (it's in that 1 hour video on McL). He's very proud of his perfectionism--and laments not that the tile broke, but the new one will not match in color. Not sure how that guy OK'd such half baked systems. And still hasn't got it sorted.

Once again, this stuff doesn't matter. The car itself is incredible. The quirks are just footnotes to an other wise amazing result.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts