McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...

You know me... I could not resist.. I poked around a bit... :D

I have full access to my IRIS 2 now, root, have dug around the stuff thats in it low-level wise. I can install apps (have not tried anything significant yet, but will soon try to add a standard Android WAZE to it...)..

If there is anything significant I find regarding the unit which I think people will like I will post it here.

The things I did find are:

1) The camera app is specifically disabled in the config of Android. So McLaren must know that it exists and is usable, it might be a screen Portrait/Landscape issue why they did not implement it right away, not sure. But I am sure a camera will come very soon, would be ridiculous if not.

2) The APPS button goes to a full version of the standard Apps Drawer from Android, just designed by McLaren. This is why I know adding apps works without a problem. They just changed the interface, thats it. I have a 5th app in the system right now, listed on the Apps page, with its standard icon that it has on any android device (so full color, not black and white like the other apps that are there). Nothing useful though.

3) Plenty of apps are installed but disabled for the 12C. One being the HVAC controls from the P1 which are in the unit for it.

4) Because of the above and because there is a strange app running in the background called something like com.mclaren.cantimesync I am rather confident that the unit is fully connected to the CAN Bus and sees all signals going through it. I will therefor try the following: a) see if I can maybe activate HVAC controls in the 12C on the unit and b) see if I can somehow get to the CAN Bus signal from another custom app. Since that would let us do all kinds of fun track-things in a custom app. So display things like Wheel Speed, Break pressure front and back, Throttle, RPM and so on right on IRIS, possibly log it too for later review, not sure what makes sense yet...

All this will take some time though, so do not expect anything for the next couple of weeks, since I have little time for it right now.

The time and date of the unit is definitely synced in from the CAN Bus once a second when the clock tick goes over it.

5) There is a parrot mail app on the unit, which is disabled too, but might be nice to have obviously.

I have posted this here since I do not really want McLaren to get all upset at me for digging deeper, but I will also not post how I did it here. It might brake the unit at some point, so better not to repeat anything until we are sure its a good idea to do it.

If someone here has something they would think might be nice app or feature wise in the unit, do let me know so I can see if I can somehow do it...

I am trying to for example figure out if I can somehow get multi-finger gestures setup to, for example do a next song/previous song from any app. But I do not know enough about Android yet to really know.. so give me a bit pls :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi Fabian

Any App? Try Icoyote then pls?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Parrot has a version of Waze, and I'm pretty sure it supports portrait mode. It would be awesome for you to just install it and give it a whirl.

Seriously, thanks so much Fabian and kudos!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Absolutely.

Waze first.
Pandora?
Rhapsody?

Great info. Thank you so much.

I have an android-super freak that promised to help as well once he gets back from holiday. Let's open up 2 fronts.

I'm surprised that the screen orientation is such an issue as android is a predominantly portrait system. Waze works great in portrait.

Again, great job.

·
Registered
157 Posts
ftyl - Now that I have one again, I'm happy to connect my VehicleSpy up to it and record all the CAN traffic on the bus. Just do what we do with other vehicles and start disconnecting modules to isolate a source. Ping me if you'd like to collaborate on anything. I'm not an Android guru but I reverse engineer automotive control systems and CAN Bus comms for a living.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree that waze and such normal versions work well on portrait, but the point is that asteroid versions of those apps are made for more square landscape resolutions.

People that are installing non asteroid optimized apps on standard asteroid smart devices which are landscape do complain that menus are cut, since the screen is not the same aspect ratio.

That is why I am hoping that versions for normal phones will work better on iris than asteroid apps. Kinda the reverse since it's portrait.

Will test today.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ftyl - Now that I have one again, I'm happy to connect my VehicleSpy up to it and record all the CAN traffic on the bus. Just do what we do with other vehicles and start disconnecting modules to isolate a source. Ping me if you'd like to collaborate on anything. I'm not an Android guru but I reverse engineer automotive control systems and CAN Bus comms for a living.
Awesome!

I have a related question for you!

1) is it true that the can bus wires are on different pins than normal in the ODBII plug? Racelogic (vbox) claims so.
2) what baud rate does the 12c can bus run on?

The reason for those two questions is that I can not get the video vbox pro to see can bus data :(

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Brilliant work Fabian,as you know I have no idea what you are talking about,so it must be brilliant,keep it up :)

·
Registered
3,072 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Running antutu now

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So.. Antutu score is horrible.. but this is mainly due to the fact that this is not a kit for gaming, so graphics performance is HORRIBLE.

Score is 2991 :)

As I thought, the hardware is a FC6100 (connected to a parrot ironbox).

OS is 2.3.7

It's an ARMV7 processor running at not sure if 300 or 800mhz, it shows 300 - 800 in frequency...

Resolution of the unit is 480x800 and Antutu CLAIMS there is a 0.4megapixel rear camera installed :)

Storage used on my system is now 194mb of 341mb, 230 of 480mb of ram.
SD Card uses 4gigs out of 7 right now, thats mainly map data for iGo though, that's it.

The display is as I said above 480x800 with 240dpi, supporting multi-touch (which is not really used except for pinch zoom stuff right now I think), and the gfx card is a PowerVR SGX 530 by imagination technologies.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Waze running!! :)

It is running perfectly, and looks totally fine. I installed the Waze version from Google Play directly.

It also runs correctly in the background while you are out of the app, without a problem. It is listed in the notification list I posted about before (tap very top of the screen to show it) so you can easily switch back and forth between anything and Waze.

On to testing some other apps, I will post screenshots later...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Small break..

will try using soundhound and spotify next. Wondering if spotify will show up in the media player's source list like TuneIn does.. will see..

I can not test icoyote since I do not own a copy of it, but considering waze works, I see no reason why it would not. Installing might be a bit of a pain though.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Waze running!! :)

It is running perfectly, and looks totally fine. I installed the Waze version from Google Play directly.

It also runs correctly in the background while you are out of the app, without a problem. It is listed in the notification list I posted about before (tap very top of the screen to show it) so you can easily switch back and forth between anything and Waze.
On to testing some other apps, I will post screenshots later...
That is awesome news! I suspect my happiness is only exceeded by mr kheit's! Now we just need mcdc's app and a bit of vbox integration and were there!

Guess you had to root the system somehow Fabian?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is awesome news! I suspect my happiness is only exceeded by mr kheit's! Now we just need mcdc's app and a bit of vbox integration and were there!

Guess you had to root the system somehow Fabian?
Yeah, good thing is that a lot of work was done already due to rooting the Parrot Asteroid Smart...

Easy in the end, just not sure if it will break something down the line... so people without tech savvy experience should not try, YET... At some point, I will likely talk to McLaren to get the ok from them to release the info. I would not want to do it if they object to it. Especially not before I get my P1 ;)

1 - 20 of 100 Posts