McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not trying to denigrate the P1; I would love to have one in VO with the wing in black carbon. But I am at a loss as to the utility of the "IPAS" button. Am I missing something here? Wouldn't it make more sense just to have it under ECU control, to be engaged progressively at WOT? We don't have a separate button to engage the turbochargers. Or two buttons, one to engage the left bank turbocharger and another to engage the right-bank turbocharger. That would be ridiculous, of course. So why is the "IPAS" button any less pointless? If someone doesn't know that the car has a KERS, do you really want to be able to say "look at the IPAS button, that makes it go really fast". They still won't understand what it represents, but they will of course understand the effect, and that effect would be even better if doled out under precise ECU control, modulated by the long pedal. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Turbo boost KITT! :)

It's a good question Shawn. I'm not sure I get how it works, and when it makes sense either. Perhaps it is a pure "fun" button?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Its fun Shawn,i do know that you get the same effect by just flooring the throttle!! What I suspect,but yet to confirm is,it works best in normal/sport as an aid to passing when the ecu is in a slower mode and you want all the beans,but in race mode its automatic via the throttle input ,but I could have it completely the wrong way round ..........:)

·
Registered
194 Posts
the Autocar PDF article explains it- in full-auto mode, full throttle only gives the 737PS from the V8; pushing the IPAS button gives the remaining 179PS

I don't suppose you really need 916 in a lot of real world situations when the tyres might only cope with 737 anyway (esp at low speeds), or maybe you just wanna save battery charge for e-only mode a little further along?

either way, the steering wheel looks better with the symmetry of both buttons :D

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
I tried listening in to the engineer that was with P1 'PP3' in Beverly Hills this past weekend explain it to another gentleman seated inside the car and I was still left a bit confused. He mentioned something about the IPAS button only being enabled after you reach 70% throttle but he didn't clarify in which mode that would apply to. I wanted to hear how it was different than simply matting the pedal but didn't get a good answer.

I heard one other gentleman (believe a depositor) explaining to his friend that when you come out of a turn and have the car pointed straight you go thumbs in on both buttons to engage IPAS and DRS for the most speed possible. He was not with McLaren so I don't know whether he was sure of what he was saying, but as I understand it the DRS functions only in Race Mode. I would expect that flooring the throttle in Race Mode should give you all the power available and not required a press of a secondary switch.

Hopefully an owner or someone with experience driving the car will clear this up soon.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Should know more after I have driven her next Friday Erik,but I might be a bit bombed out to ask any real sensible questions,as I could just be giggling like a little girl :eek:

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Should know more after I have driven her next Friday Erik,but I might be a bit bombed out to ask any real sensible questions,as I could just be giggling like a little girl :eek:

Andy, better use panty liners then. Back and front would be sensible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts