McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if folks have seen the Apple keynote, but they have dramatically expanded iOS in the car. This is amazing stuff. Like using your car's display to control maps, phone calls, etc from the phone. It is a great way to upgrade IRIS. Here's a link to the keynote, check it out at time stamp 104:35 (Ferrari is shown to be incorporating this at time stamp 105:48):

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2013/

This would be amazing. Who's up for a grass roots pile-of-pressure movement to get Mclaren to (a) support this and (b) give us all a software update to support this? So to further this goal, I've whipped up a petition.

If you like to improve IRIS and get this feature, petition by signing up here:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ios-for-cars-on-mclaren-mp4-12c/

Anyone else think this is a good idea? If so, please sign the petition. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
yes I am all for it especially with Siri integration. Last thing we need someone to do is look at the nav screen when driving at 100mph !!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was at the keynote, and looked frantically up at the screen for the McLaren logo. Can't say that I was surprised that it wasn't there given the size of the company, but hey, I was feeling optimistic! I would absolutely love to see this happen and would be happy to put many of my own hours into making it happen. Anyone know the right contact @ McLaren to help get things moving? I'm an iOS dev since the early days :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I was at the keynote, and looked frantically up at the screen for the McLaren logo. Can't say that I was surprised that it wasn't there given the size of the company, but hey, I was feeling optimistic! I would absolutely love to see this happen and would be happy to put many of my own hours into making it happen. Anyone know the right contact @ McLaren to help get things moving? I'm an iOS dev since the early days :)
I think what mclaren lacks in size (add jokes here) is made up via its very smartphone like IRIS OS layer. It looks way easier and quicker to make updates on it. I wouldn't be surprised if its android under the hood of IRIS. It would be great to get mclaren's attention on this by any and all means!

Also, given that Ferrari is listed, not significantly more volume, I'd say there's a good chance.

Btw, what did you think of the keynote/announcements?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Learn something new everyday, thanks! Explains the reboots. :)

Still, thats a pretty robust platform. Better than most manufacturers that do some systems completely from scratch.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Looks like it is Windows Embedded (aka CE as uid0 mentioned). Doing some digging I came up with the following from http://www.techautos.com/2010/03/19/mclaren-unveils-mp4-12c-600-hp-v8-1-6-ghz-intel-atom-microsoft-powered/ ::

"McLaren’s IRIS infotainment system, which is based on Microsoft software, presumably running on Windows Embedded. McLaren’s choice of Atom is interesting because in-car entertainment systems generally don’t require as much performance as an x86 Atom chip can deliver (Ford’s Microsoft-powered SYNC has a 400 MHz ARM11 processor, for example– see here for info on embedded processors), so IRIS must be something pretty fancy."

This makes me wonder if the actual brain running IRIS is potentially this component from the 'McLaren Electronic Systems' side of the house, http://www.mclarenelectronics.com/Products/Product/EPL-310. If they've got the tech floating around in their electronics side of the business it likely makes sense to re-use / re-purpose it in the road cars.

I'm not sure any of this helps in terms of getting iOS in place of IRIS, but I thought it was interesting and worth a share!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I think all 'iOS for the car' is/requires is a gussied up vnc/airplay connection and the phone just projects a UI and gets inputs from the car screen. So windows CE should be more than enough to code up a client app.

My hope is if we get a couple of hundred signatures, that should be enough to motivate something...

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
RealVNC makes a version of VNC particularly for porting mobile device UIs to a car's headunit. Looks like it is certified for both iOS and Windows CE / Embedded. So, if McLaren wanted to add in this kind of support it looks like it is not only doable, but it they could piggyback on a solution that's been out in the market for a while.

http://www.realvnc.com/services/automotive.html

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So we're up to a total of 5 petitions! Yay! :) I'm hoping to get up to 100 signatures and then push that up the line.

I have a dealer that's willing to help out on relaying it up to McLaren.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Way ahead of you guys :~)>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts