McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My 2014 Pearl White Spider was delivered this week. I've only had the chance to put about 75 miles on it. I've owned various BMWs, Porsches, Loti, and a Ferrari, and my initial verdict is this is the most complete car I've ever owned. Many thanks to Hamilton and Chad at McLaren Philadelphia for making this deal happen.

Pros: The overall feel of the car is one of absolute quality and thoughtfulness. I believe this is only possible with a company like McLaren that designed this car from the ground up and shed a lot of the preconceived notions of how a car like this should be designed. The ride is superlative. The driving position is amazing and shrinks what is quite a wide car into one that feels much smaller. Clearance for a car this low is great, much better than my 997.2 GT3 (and no stupid centerlock wheels like the GT3 either!). Power is unrelenting with great traction to put it to the ground (something I couldn't say for my 599 which had one of the best engines ever but the chassis just wasn't up to snuff). I can tell it will be virtually impossible to even come close to making this car sweat on the street. New Android based IRIS is intuitive and reliable so far.

Cons, all pretty minor: One of my taillight bars has the dreaded condensation buildup problem (I can see how little things like this are more of a pain with a smaller dealer network – I'm in Houston and I'm not driving to Dallas just for this, so I'm stuck with this irritating flaw for probably a year until I get it serviced). I'd like to be able to change the speed/force of the gearshifts independently of all the other chassis/engine settings (like you can do in an M3 with DCT). No Homelink type garage door option. Also, I could be wrong on this, but I don't believe there are any locking storage compartments inside the car so if you leave the top down, you can put your sunglasses, etc., in it and not have to raise the roof.

Question: what are people using for track wheel/tire setup? I'm guessing a new set of factory wheels would be quite expensive. Are there any good aftermarket track wheels available? Track tires? Possibly Toyo R888s?

Matt

·
Registered
316 Posts
Welcome. My Spider came from Philly as well. They have been tremendous. Chad is a great guy. I have winter tires for now and I transition to the corsa tires in the spring. They are like glue when they get in the 80's. I would give them a thought.

·
Owner
57 Posts
Welcome, it's a great car. i picked up my 2014 spider a month ago and every time i drive her i'm amazed with the capabilities of the car.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Congrats on your love new12C Spider! It's gorgeous! Please post some more pictures including the interior.

I also just got my new 2014 Spider from McLaren Philadelphia yesterday! They've been a great dealer to work with on both 12C Spiders and my upcoming P1.

Here's my new one (50th Anniversary Carbon Black 12C Spider) on the left with my old one (2013 Fire Black 12C Spider) on the right. Whoever gets my old car is going to be getting an absolutely FANTASTIC car that I enjoyed the heck out of. I liked it so much that I wanted the limited edition car because... limited edition McLaren!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
CONGRATS - Both Matt and Mark!! You will love the car more with some miles on it(Mark - you already know that);)

Matt: Regarding getting the car serviced. A McLaren authorized flat bed tow vehicle will pick up the car from your place and deliver it to Park Place McLaren and deliver it back. You don't need to drive it up to Dallas for service. I would recommend putting some miles on the car. Keep a log of any issues you might have. Brian Zawacki is the McLaren Dallas Service Manager. His # - 214-849-5346. Contact him when you want to "turn it in".

P.S. - I repeat, you will love the car more after you put some miles on it!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Well done,i so remember those run in miles,remember you are limited to a top speed of 150mph with your first 650 miles,its a chore but you will get there ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bud, I love the PW colour, especially in the sunshine :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the well wishes and tips! Was able to put a few more miles on her today and it continues to blow my mind how great this car is!

I started seriously thinking about a McLaren a couple of months ago, and the overall impression I got as an "outsider" reading all the threads here in a short period of time was that while there are minor issues with these cars, they are far outweighed by the benefits of ownership, and the number of issues and the magnitude of them are probably less than for other exotics and quasi-exotics. So thanks to everyone for their contributions to this forum!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts