McLaren Life banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 650s Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

New owner of a 650s 2015. Wonderful car so far and what a great way to step into the brand. Car is warrantied via McLaren dealer and I just had a situation. First, here’s the car:
28997AE1-3A1D-4A86-B4E8-BB014DA8A3D9.jpeg

I’ve been absolutely loving it so far but...

I was driving on the freeway at about 50mph, downshifted twice and gave it some gas to pass the guy ahead then let off the gas and noticed the engine died and that the rpms went to 0. Also it gave me a low engine pressure fault. I had enough momentum to turn off the highway and into a small area.

Car started normally and no error codes. I even gave it some gas again and the turbos spilled up fine and I didn’t feel a loss of power. Drove 20 minutes without issues immediately after.

I read some posts here that range from heads being replaced to a one time thing. Most were from 3 years ago and before. I was hoping to get help on if I should immediately take it to the dealer or if this has been a common and non-problematic issue or if I should ask for software etc? Mainly because the dealer is very slow here I assume due to COVID.

As a new member wanted to mention how helpful and awesome this community is and has been while a lurker searching for the right 650s.

Thanks!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I dont have any experience with this specific issue however any engine oil pressure issues are very serious unless it's just a sensor.

Generally you want to use a manual oil pressure gauge and tap one of the galleries to verify what the pressure is at idle. Personally if it was me getting that message, I would stop immediately and tow the car home to the dealer.

Let us know how it goes, also post exactly what message you have received. Was this in the instrument cluster?

Tom

·
Registered
2015 650s Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Zlykot, thanks for the quick response. Yeah I didn't really have any options and we have a country-wide curfew which I was trying to avoid so since the car cleared its own codes. In any case that's sound advice and I think a trip to the dealer would likely be the best option.

The message did say "Low engine pressure" but I couldn't photograph it or anything since as soon as I stopped the car it cleared itself and started up on the first click of the start/stop button. I will update anything I find out from the dealer once I get an appointment to roll it in.

My gut feeling says it's a sensor fault because there's not been any other signs like warnings, and about a week ago I checked the oil and it was in the green. Car is driven about once a week so I don't suspect oil levels burning that low that fast.

·
Registered
458 Posts
"low engine pressure" might refer to different things, did it specifically say it's related to oil anywhere?

lets hope its a sensor...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Moe237. Nice car. Just curious if your oil level gauge is in the middle where it normally is now and what was your fuel level when you did this? Like zlykot posted...not sure this is related to Oil pressure......

·
Registered
2015 650s Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Moe237. Nice car. Just curious if your oil level gauge is in the middle where it normally is now and what was your fuel level when you did this? Like zlykot posted...not sure this is related to Oil pressure......

Thanks! Oil gauge and water gauge both in normal position afterwards in grey. I had filled up fuel about 10 minutes prior to this. Car has about 11k KM on the clock if that helps at all. Unfortunately the error message erased itself before I could jot it down. But the words I can confirm are "pressure" and "low" occurring as this occurred.

·
Registered
840 Posts
had that warning on my 12c a few months back. i had just washed the car the night before . early next day it alarmed this message a few seconds after start up.
stopped it and restarted and message was still there but engine did not make any noises that would indicate low oil pressure.
drove for about 25 minutes and message went away only to come back 15 minutes later for a few minutes and it finally went away for good and has never come back.
water and oil temp all indicated normal.
my bet is on a defective sensor,wirinng, water etc...
when oil pressure is low,you will hear the valve tappets ticking away just like they do at start up after car has sat overnight or longer.

·
Registered
2015 650s Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
had that warning on my 12c a few months back. i had just washed the car the night before . early next day it alarmed this message a few seconds after start up.
stopped it and restarted and message was still there but engine did not make any noises that would indicate low oil pressure.
drove for about 25 minutes and message went away only to come back 15 minutes later for a few minutes and it finally went away for good and has never come back.
water and oil temp all indicated normal.
my bet is on a defective sensor,wirinng, water etc...
when oil pressure is low,you will hear the valve tappets ticking away just like they do at start up after car has sat overnight or longer.
I’ll look out for that again today.

dealer has not yet responded to me and it’s the weekend so I’ll send it over next week and post any updates if I recieve them. Thanks for the info so far.

·
Registered
2015 650s Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey everyone, for anyone interested I am going to give a quick update on the car, what happened and what has been happening since.

Short story is the car has been perfect since (knock on wood) and there's one prevailing theory as to what happened: I might have pressed the engine start stop button instead of the active button. Couldn't replicate it for the life of me, no codes, car was checked by the dealer and everything seems to have checked out.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help. Car has been a blast to drive and has been on multiple spirited runs with no issues so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts