McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello im new in this forum so if any one can help please?

my story is that I bought the mp4 in Qatar in the dealer shop and then I took it to another country which is Kuwait, I went to the dealer in Kuwait they told me that I have to pay almost 18,000 $ so that I can have it for a service and everything its like opening a file for the car.

my question is that true or there robbing me because its the first time I hear of this? and what should I do please help

PS: sorry for my English

THANKS ALL

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Maybe they have different rules in the middle east,but having 2 homes in Europe I would expect to be able to get my warranty work done at the local dealership where the car is at that particular time of the year.Warrenty work is paid for by McLaren,you would think the dealership would be glad of it ??? Although jobs have a time limit and agreed rate of pay,i suppose they can refuse to do the work on a car that was not their sale to start with,but it seems very harsh,I would speak direct to the MTC and find out who is in charge in your area,Good luck

·
Registered
191 Posts
i brought my car from USA to Canada and have no warranty. They're asking for 10,000 US dollars to get my car warrantied in canada

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
i brought my car from USA to Canada and have no warranty. They're asking for 10,000 US dollars to get my car warrantied in canada
!! shocked by that. Per andy above, I would expect to be able to get my car fixed under warranty throughout europe. Or for instance if I bought a european car and imported back here to the UK I certainly would expect the warranty to hold as well as there is no reason why the standard new car warranty should not be an international warranty (as porsche offer i believe)...

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Am also shocked... Perhaps in th first instance you should contact the garage you bought it from to tell them there is a problem. They should then organise to have it fixed at the closet point to where the car is... Shouldn't then be a problem..

This applies to both laljoey and vcruiser. Maybe it's different between canada and u.s.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
It sounds like your local dealer wants to do their own checks on the car, to be confident any future warranty claims to McLaren will be valid and not a "customer induced" problem.

Hence, charging you the labour cost for a "service" check & "opening a file"...

Did you purchase the car from an authorised dealer?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
This is normal when you move a car from country to country... Europe is "one" country in that sense though.

This is completely normal, has to do with how the warranties are handled and such...

This is the case for any brand btw.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes I bought the car from the retailer but asking a price of 18,000 $ dollars is a lot just for having the car for a service? do somebody know how long do I have to take it for a service like every 1 month or 6 month or 1 year? so that im thinking of taling the car back to Qatar for the service everytime

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
No idea about that region specifically, but I would never expect my USA warranty to be valid anywhere but the US. It's dumb, but that's usually how it is.

Europe is unique and I wouldn't expect many warranties to operate like they do in Europe. Chance are if you bought your car in one country, it needs to have the warranty work done there. It's probably factored into the cost of doing business in each country. I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if it costs McLaren more to handle warranties in some countries more than others, as well as other legal things associated with consumer protection etc.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
yes I bought the car from the retailer but asking a price of 18,000 $ dollars is a lot just for having the car for a service? do somebody know how long do I have to take it for a service like every 1 month or 6 month or 1 year? so that im thinking of taling the car back to Qatar for the service everytime
Annual service or every 10k miles,best drive it back to Qatar once a year,and live with the warrenty issues if they don't affect the driving of the car .............

·
Registered
551 Posts
What does the dealer in Qatar say about this? He's basically responsible for the warranty on the car. ie if it breaks down he needs, at his expense, move the car back to Qatar for repairs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good if its yearly for a service I would take it back to qattar everytime better than paying those Kuwaiti dealer 18,000 for just oil changing and stuff, thank you all again I appreciate it

·
Registered
223 Posts
Guys I read my Mclaren warranty hand book and you are covered by Mclaren. Call the uk hotline, they sometimes require you to notify them before the move. I ship my Nissan GTR to Europe and they covered me for a transmission issue in Cannes France even though my car was Florida registered. I called the hotline and they took care of the rest.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow that's a good news thanks bro I will call now and tell them those Kuwaiti dealers are robbing us too

·
Registered
862 Posts
A few questions:

1) Has the Kuwaiti dealer actually refused to do any work required under warranty?
2) Is the $18k ...
a) the cost for the service? (Unlikely)
b) the cost of "opening a file" on your car so they will treat you and the car as if it were an original purchase from them? (Most likely)
c) something else.

Back in the early days I had a discussion with the dealer here as to how they would handle all of the grey imports, would they upgrade if they had not made the margin on the original car, etc etc and it was suggested that there may be a charge for "opening a file"/registering these cars. The number thrown out in discussion was higher than 18k but I never followed up with them to see if they actually implemented this.

To be fair to the dealer, they are in it to make a margin and if they haven't made the margin on the original sale then they'll try and find another way. If I had to put a value on all of the perks I've had as an original customer over the last couple of years then I'd not be surprised if it got close to 18k!

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
A few questions:

1) Has the Kuwaiti dealer actually refused to do any work required under warranty?
2) Is the $18k ...
a) the cost for the service? (Unlikely)
b) the cost of "opening a file" on your car so they will treat you and the car as if it were an original purchase from them? (Most likely)
c) something else.

Back in the early days I had a discussion with the dealer here as to how they would handle all of the grey imports, would they upgrade if they had not made the margin on the original car, etc etc and it was suggested that there may be a charge for "opening a file"/registering these cars. The number thrown out in discussion was higher than 18k but I never followed up with them to see if they actually implemented this.

To be fair to the dealer, they are in it to make a margin and if they haven't made the margin on the original sale then they'll try and find another way. If I had to put a value on all of the perks I've had as an original customer over the last couple of years then I'd not be surprised if it got close to 18k!
^this. Many dealers of various marques have been doing this for years in Canada. They are clawing back some margin akin to selling the car themselves, originally. Also, they are protecting their market and, one could argue, their early owners as well. For example, the 12C's MSRP in Canada was about 15-20K more expensive in Canada than the U.S., at a time when the two currencies were pretty much at par. If any Canadian could buy a U.S. car with a made-up U.S. resident address or rented vacation home, etc., and then bring it up here to service and eventually re-sell into the Canadian market without a financial penalty (beyond the 6% foreign make duty), it would be done repeatedly. Especially with how McLaren flooded the U.S. market with 12C coupes last year, it would really be quite a disaster for the Canadian market.

Ferrari and Lambo have been doing it for years in Ontario, under the guise of charging for a 'recall letter'.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes they had refused to do anywork for the car unless I pay the 18k$ is for opening a file yes so that they can do a service and everything, the question is why do I have to open a file and pay you, your the dealer I have the car why the hell do I have to pay you so that you can have it for a service!!!!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
The Mclaren and other brand dealers should use their brain and take care of customers who originally bought their cars new from another country but moved to a new one. These cars were not regular grey imports where the customer already lived in the country and imported the car "used". With these type of cars people move around the world, ship to drive in a different region.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts