McLaren Life banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in mid September I attended a conference on selling luxury brands with a consulting client. As a rule I don't do these silly conferences, then I looked at one of the seminars and the presenter was Tony Joseph the head of McLaren NA. Obviously I had to go now...

Great talk, it was mostly on building the brand among the well-heeled. I spoke to Mr. Joseph for a few minutes. He was surprised to see the target of the marketing in the audience. I only made my ownership known privately to him.

I am attaching the seminar materials for your perusal. Although it says Confidential, I asked if I could share it with some friends and was told yes. Nothing too "behind the curtain" in there and I waited a proper month before posting about it. Let me know your thoughts...

I had to split the PDF b/c of file size...

Attachments

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Certainly would have liked to have been at the conference to hear Tony expand on the data points myself.

As someone who normally loathes Power Point presentations that one was cool to get a peek at. Thanks for sharing! :)

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
No surprises but interesting........thanks for posting.

What is missing is a product strategy plus nothing about the competition or market size so , maybe, that is all irrelevant as if the Brand and promotion along ,with the dealers, hits the spot.......voila, happy people and shareholders.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No surprises but interesting........thanks for posting.

What is missing is a product strategy plus nothing about the competition or market size so , maybe, that is all irrelevant as if the Brand and promotion along ,with the dealers, hits the spot.......voila, happy people and shareholders.
Yes Round, I noticed that too as did a couple of other attendees. The questions were answered by explaining the need of a smaller upstart to maintain secrecy on product strategy and positioning so as to maintain a level of "upmanship" with larger better funded entities. He also mentioned the long history in F1 of absolute secrecy to gain an edge on the track. He copped to being fundamentally a race team with a consumer product. They are trying to change that.

I posed the after-sale contact question in another thread as a part of this topic. I truly believe that the whole "lifestyle" thing can be tricky with what I assume to be our demographic. I got a distinct feeling that the attitude was one of "they're big boys with probably enough "lifestyle" without McLaren trying to use ConstantContact to cloud the primary mission of the 12C"... it was quite different from other brands presenting. In other words, I don't think anyone here bought a Mac to make friends and have something to do on a Friday night. IMHO.

I venture a different question, are Mac buyers fundamentally different from, um...let's say F-car buyers. I'm speaking of the greater group, not the minority. If you know what I mean. Many of us do own both, which I venture to hypothesize may be an evolution? No insult or slight meant, just that I know a couple of F owners that bought Macs, but no Mac owners that bought F's after their Mac. And I mean owning one car to start with. I know several on here owned a couple of fezzas got Mac and are awaiting the speciale. I'm rambling a bit, but the whole experience stirs some curiosity in me.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I am not sure about the owner type other than they are a diverse group.........well the ones I have met on track and on the Nurburg Tour.

Interestingly the track day group did have a number Alpha+ types who talked a good game whereas the Nurburg types seemed more eclectic in their interests and hobbies......and they enjoyed a beer or two!

I do think there is the enthusiasts who appreciate the Brand and, more importantly, the driving dynamics. Then there are the 'passing thru'' types who buy the latest and greatest.

Seems to me Farrari attracts a number of owners who have always aspired to ,and get excited by ,anything Ferrari.......after all they are dramatic and objects of desire ( even La F may grow on me, maybe. as it is so Lamboesque Medalian Man, I'm retired and falling to bits )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts