McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I met an engineer who left McLaren and took a job in the states. He was interested in my impressions, and had some insights into current discussions.
First, he said that early negative customer impressions related to the "lack of emotion" that was described. Complaints were: "too comfortable", "too quiet", "too civilized". So, there were late efforts to modify a few features.
I was unaware that initially, our cars were to be a McLaren-Mercedes partnership, with AMG power. When Mercedes veered in the F! arena, that partnership obviously dissolved, and McLaren needed to source a different engine.
The aluminum construction was selected for weight, and ability to have tight clearances. But, the tooling cost was intended to be for a larger annual production (?3,000), and those numbers are not being seen.
Hence, some work force reduction has occurred in the engineering department.
And, I was reminded that a tour of the factory is available to any of us who choose to schedule.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
1AS. Did he have any insights into IRIS or into how much juice can be gained from the engine via software updates? Would it go to 650, 670?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JK, the engine work was another work group (sounded "farmed out"). He said the IRIS/sound system did not get much attention. Not surprised it's a problem. AS

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was unaware that initially, our cars were to be a McLaren-Mercedes partnership, with AMG power. When Mercedes veered in the F! arena, that partnership obviously dissolved, and McLaren needed to source a different engine .
I am very surprised to hear this. It is very obvious that, from the beginning, the 12c was designed around a philosophy which no AMG engine would be able to meet. I am not even sure that their most cmpact engine would fit in the engine bay. Moreover, I had heard about McLaren aiming to develop their own engine long before Mercedes return to F1 could be in the cards.

I believe the development of the SLR highlighted how different the two companies' philosophies were. This is probably what triggered McL's desire to recover the freedom to focus on pure performance rather than being constrained by the other objectives of a generalist car maker.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Not to cast any doubt on the perceptions of the ex-McLaren engineer, but having started and run tech companies, it is amazing to me what I hear back from the rank-and-file about their understanding of a company's state of affairs. And we are talking tech start-ups, where there are far less people, a very open communication philosophy and generally more egalitarian than traditional (especially British) businesses.

So there maybe truth in all of what he said, but there can also be a lot noise and personal interpretation being added in. Personally I believe the IRIS part because the results are there relative to the rest of the product.

·
Registered
551 Posts
1AS. Did he have any insights into IRIS or into how much juice can be gained from the engine via software updates? Would it go to 650, 670?
I think there's a lot more room for power in this engine but the limitations are on the gearbox. Would it hold together with lots more power? I do like the 991 GT3 as well but it lacks on power so discussed this with a tuner who told me the max for this PDK would be 650hp. As most of these gearboxes are build on the same concept I imagine they all face the same problem.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Can you please speak to Mark about when it is going to be unlocked ? MY2014 ? MY2015 ?
Already asked ,but the GT3 cars use a different box ,and MclarenGT are only affiliated to McLaren,but you would think the engineers would know something??

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I think there's a lot more room for power in this engine but the limitations are on the gearbox. Would it hold together with lots more power? I do like the 991 GT3 as well but it lacks on power so discussed this with a tuner who told me the max for this PDK would be 650hp. As most of these gearboxes are build on the same concept I imagine they all face the same problem.
are you sure about that belg... mtc told box was good for over 1000... dual clutch and all that...

they actually have a cut out of the engine and box at mpc right now... its very cool to see 'inside'.... we look at our engine from the airbox and go 'that's pretty cool'... then when you see it cut away the c of g is way way way low....

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
are you sure about that belg... mtc told box was good for over 1000... dual clutch and all that...

they actually have a cut out of the engine and box at mpc right now... its very cool to see 'inside'.... we look at our engine from the airbox and go 'that's pretty cool'... then when you see it cut away the c of g is way way way low....
Don't suppose you counted the cogs??

·
Phil
241 Posts
Don't suppose you counted the cogs??
I studied a stripped down gearbox at the MTC recently and counted 9 forward ratios, so there's clearly plenty of room to electronically unlock more speed potential as the power is hiked upwards, or lower the final drive ratio in conjunction with more gears to improve acceleration in forthcoming new models...

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I was also told that emissions legislation will force the use of more gears in order to manage combustion and meet more stringent legislation.

There has been many mainstream makers launching 8 speed boxes already, BMW, Jaguar, Volkswagen, Lexus etc.

Mclaren are ahead of the game with the extra cogs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts