McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that insurance in Europe and USA is much cheaper than what we pay in Singapore. The insurance of my 12C spider is US$13,900 or 8,900 pounds. This is before the 50% no claim bonus i enjoy. So i am paying half of the above to insure my car. The insurance also only covers named drivers, usually up to 2 other named drivers who the insurance co must agree subject to their driving records. Just curious to find out how much fellow owners pay in different countries. I would not be surprise Singapore is the most expensive as our car prices are stupid.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
UK from £600 with £1300 typical with perfect no claims record. Car has to have a tracker and garaged after 11pm when at home........apparently Mclaren thieves are night owls!

Reactions: Tuxiemama

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Mine is £1 i have the DULUX DOGS
no-one dare steal your car Robbie,you are too well known;) as for anyone hitting it,i wouldn't want to be in their shoes,as they would probably end up in concrete :D

Mine is £1100 garaged,in the UK your post code counts for a lot as well

·
Registered
715 Posts
Interestingly, this was one of the many areas where I was surprised by the 12C.

Originally I was under the assumption that I had to go to a specialty underwriter. Such as Hagerty's et al. And they were quoting 6-8k under their exotic plans with about 3000 miles/yr, just like the Ferraris. When a friend suggested I try his agent who had a State Farm agency in town. My friend had mentioned casually that I was getting a 12C. The agent commented that he could write the policy probably. After some discussions, they wrote the policy, a high level policy(500/500/500), for just over $3k.

It cleared underwriting and I have an official policy with no mileage restrictions and a $1000 deductible.

Just like a regular policy, no special restrictions. We do have sparkling clear records, however.

Just one of the many ways this car has surprised me in less than a week of ownership.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm with Porsche insurance for my 991S and they didn't want any extra premium for a 12C when I was going to purchase a London car (11 months left on insurance) and I paid £455 protected/legal/ 6000 yearly mileage limit, always garaged.

Age 68 and a good post code (although not as good as Andy C's ;))

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I'm with Porsche insurance for my 991S and they didn't want any extra premium for a 12C when I was going to purchase a London car (11 months left on insurance) and I paid £455 protected/legal/ 6000 yearly mileage limit, always garaged.

Age 68 and a good post code (although not as good as Andy C's ;))
Geoff,i live in a backwater,not the place to be like you !! Maybe its because I am so young that they charge me so much ;) Although mine is unlimited mileage which I need as 6,000 a year in this car would not be enough :D

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its interesting to note that insurance policy has restrictions on how much mileage you clock up and also a good postal code. On postal code, if you can afford to buy a 12C, it's likely you won't be staying in a dump. Think this makes for sense for the average or lower price cars where a better address would imply less crime.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I should have paid a similar price, maybe even less than my Porsche was!
However due to garaging issues this year was a non starter and I was robbed :mad:

I've looked at costs/quotes recently and £1K sort of mark.
That was for 10K mileage, my original policy was set at 6K but I did wonder if I'd keep under it :confused:
At 7.5K at the moment :) and leaving for Lemans this evening for another roadtrip :cool:

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Its interesting to note that insurance policy has restrictions on how much mileage you clock up and also a good postal code. On postal code, if you can afford to buy a 12C, it's likely you won't be staying in a dump. Think this makes for sense for the average or lower price cars where a better address would imply less crime.
They all have an average starting point King,then its up to you to get discounts with postcodes,lower mileage,named drivers,large excesses and the like !!

·
Owner
893 Posts
In the U.S. ..... each state has different rules for insurance regulations. Just make certain you are offered a policy that is "Stated Value" ....... that way in the event of a total loss (collision/theft) ...... You are paid the Exact Amount that you insured your vehicle for. No dickering, no excuses; You insured your car for $300k.... you get a check for $300k !!! :)
The car's current market value is not considered, whatsoever, in your insurance settlement !!!

·
Registered
983 Posts
$4500/yr, 500/300/300, $500 deductible. And my record is... um.. murky (couple of speeding tickets, and a reckless, and a non-fault accident).

·
Registered
314 Posts
In the U.S. ..... each state has different rules for insurance regulations. Just make certain you are offered a policy that is "Stated Value" ....... that way in the event of a total loss (collision/theft) ...... You are paid the Exact Amount that you insured your vehicle for. No dickering, no excuses; You insured your car for $300k.... you get a check for $300k !!! :)
The car's current market value is not considered, whatsoever, in your insurance settlement !!!
You can insure it for whatever you want, but of course your premiums will reflect that as well. If they're paying out $300K for a car that's not worth that amount, you're going to be paying much higher premiums. It's all a trade-off of what you're willing to gamble vs. what you're willing pay.

·
Registered
477 Posts
no-one dare steal your car Robbie,you are too well known;) as for anyone hitting it,i wouldn't want to be in their shoes,as they would probably end up in concrete :D

Mine is £1100 garaged,in the UK your post code counts for a lot as well
Someone looked at it the other day their blind now :D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Geoff,i live in a backwater,not the place to be like you !! Maybe its because I am so young that they charge me so much ;) Although mine is unlimited mileage which I need as 6,000 a year in this car would not be enough :D
Good lord, i always knew staying inside the ring of the m25 had large insurance premiums but I never knew it was so much less outside!! I am paying more than double what you are....not quite on cka's scale thankfully but still rather painful....

·
Owner
893 Posts
You can insure it for whatever you want, but of course your premiums will reflect that as well. If they're paying out $300K for a car that's not worth that amount, you're going to be paying much higher premiums. It's all a trade-off of what you're willing to gamble vs. what you're willing pay.
Completely correct, timborama.:)
I've got mine covered for a 'stated value' at $285k ...... The premium is approx. $3200/year.
I think my premium is fair. :)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Good lord, i always knew staying inside the ring of the m25 had large insurance premiums but I never knew it was so much less outside!! I am paying more than double what you are....not quite on cka's scale thankfully but still rather painful....
There is a major age difference between us which accounts for a large chunk ISV,unless you are ageing in another space- time continuum,it does drop when you become part of the SAGA generation!

·
Registered
161 Posts
2700k€ here, no constraint except garage when at home, coverage includes track driving as long as no formal race.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts