McLaren Life banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I can download firmware from modules I looked over the files and found some fun stuff. The cluster runs linux on arm, uses MB86R11 fujitsu display module. You can easily modify the squash partition to change things like chimes, images, animations and its possible to modify the single executable that runs on there to add/change functionality.

PM me if you're looking for a project ;)
Tom

·
Registered
88 Posts
In the video it looks like there's even a McLaren. I think I've heard of them before. But I'm not sure what the instrument cluster group uses at my company. I feel like if it wasn't during quarantine, I'd be able to just walk over there and start chatting with them to learn more about all cluster stuff. I guess I'll just have to use the internet. :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That video is of a newer product then what mc used, but the hardware platform as well as the firmware all point to the fact that this was used to create all the software that runs on that cluster...

Here is a video of showing the process for this exact hardware platform (emerald l/mb86r11 same as mc cluster)

If you had the software you could make your own instrument cluster sw and they do offer a trial... :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hah, the company I work for just acquired Fujitsu ten. Some of them are working with my department. They might have a copy. Hmmmm....

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I didn't know there was a MSO version of the cluster, it seems they just add the shift lights to the existing cluster. The cluster should be the same...

btw im not selling anything

·
Registered
54 Posts

Does look pretty cool. I thought they would turn the entire left cluster display into a shift light.

@usofrob maybe one of your company's team members wants to start a little skunk works project if they already have experience in vehicle instrumented displays?

@zlykot should we start a list of desired features? Might help prioritize what to work on. I looked at the files but sadly it's a steeper learning curve than I anticipated. 😩

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The cgi studio would be mighty helpful, reimplementing everything is probably too time consuming but you could use it to selectively create functionality/screens and patch them in.

Sure, telemetry data would be high on my list and it seems there are some provisions for that in the cluster already.

Tom

·
Registered
638 Posts
the shift lights look like they are an added on module under the standard cluster .
this can be seen about 32 seconds into video. there's a seam with the module.
seem to be too low to easily be seen .
@zlykot is there a plug in available in the cluster for them?

Also,what's the deal with the 2 blue led's on top of tach?

·
Registered
11 Posts
the shift lights look like they are an added on module under the standard cluster .
this can be seen about 32 seconds into video. there's a seam with the module.
seem to be too low to easily be seen .
@zlykot is there a plug in available in the cluster for them?

Also,what's the deal with the 2 blue led's on top of tach?
Radar, front & rear, probably K40.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
a) can bus messaging - you can send any message to the cluster and it would be displayed (telemetry, warnings, google maps etc)
b) service reset without a tool
c) wheel setup - custom wheel dimensions

AFAIK the cluster does not have a separate connector for the lights but the parts cat does list a MSO addon with a module and a bezel. it probably a led controller on the canbus... i wonder if they have a wiring diagram for it.
Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 4.21.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 4.22.31 PM.png

·
Registered
88 Posts
Unfortunately they don't have access to the app we need. They'd heard if it, but didn't think it got that much use. And no use in their department. Looks like we'll have to do it the hard way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts