McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Owner
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who is ready to make some serious power and challenge a P1 over a 1/2 mile? >:)

On my never ending quest for more power, I am selling the 12C/650S PureTurbos - Stage 2 setup. This is the largest compressor and turbine upgrade available to date from Pure in the stock turbo housing. I installed these turbos in January and selling them less than 3 months later, less than 100 miles on the turbos. You can thank me for the "no charge" turbo break-in procedure...lol

Also, I have upgraded Forge Adjustable Wastegate Actuators installed (custom) for more boost holding capability and custom made PTP turbo blankets (best in the business). However, anyone familiar with turbo blankets will tell you that removing and reinstalling them is always a gamble since they are not made to be removable. If they see enough heat, they will want to become brittle. The good news is that they seem to be in pretty good condition and only one is showing small signs of getting toasty.

Now for the good stuff, these are the same turbos that still hold the P13 60-130 mph record with 4.8 seconds. Actually, this record was on Stage 1 and did not get to reset the bar due to clutch issues. I expect these turbos can do 4.3-4.5 seconds in the right hands:

These turbos also hold the current (as of this writing) McLaren P13 1/2 mile record of 177 mph with a failed intercooler pump.

If that is not enough, they also put down monster power with 832 rwhp and 710 ft lbs of twisty. Seriously capable setup. Will walk over pretty much anything out there, including a 720S.

Here is what this is worth:

PureTurbos - Stage 2: $8995
Factory turbo core charge: $6000
Forge WG Actuators: $400
PTP Turbo Blankets (custom): $700
Total: $16,095

Asking: $9300 obo

Not accepting PayPal. Would prefer someone local to NYC for pickup, but willing to ship. Would accept Venmo or Google Pay. Can provide references on this board.

·
Registered
40 Posts
FWIW I’d like to put a shout out in for renaissanceman. I’ve just purchased something from him internationally, Absolutely stand out communication and responses. Thank you and highly recommended to all others.

·
Owner
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FWIW I’d like to put a shout out in for renaissanceman. I’ve just purchased something from him internationally, Absolutely stand out communication and responses. Thank you and highly recommended to all others.
Thanks buddy, how kind of you! I am sure you will enjoy the purchase!

Would installing these turbos require a clutch upgrade?
As someone who has spent more time than most on figuring out how to make this platform fast, the answer is a clutch upgrade at this power level is not a requirement. I contacted Dodson in regards to a clutch upgrade as a means of being proactive, then reactive; knowing I would continue to push the stock transmission. Given my experience with other high hp cars, it is natural to assume that the clutch would eventually be a weak point as power targets increase towards x2 stock TQ. I wanted to clear the runway for myself and anyone else behind me.

If you want a real world example that the stock clutch is up to the task, you can look no farther than the BBI 675LT with XPRD's EFR7163s turbos running similar hp/tq but on the stock P13 clutch....and yes, the 12C/650/570/675LT has the same clutch

·
Owner
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to mention, that you do not have to turn these turbos "up to 11" right away like I did. You can start off at a more moderate boost level and increase the power over time as you get more comfortable; or just for race events. That way you have room to grow later on. Ping me if anyone wants more details or suggestions on this approach.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As someone who has spent more time than most on figuring out how to make this platform fast, the answer is a clutch upgrade at this power level is not a requirement. I contacted Dodson in regards to a clutch upgrade as a means of being proactive, then reactive; knowing I would continue to push the stock transmission. Given my experience with other high hp cars, it is natural to assume that the clutch would eventually be a weak point as power targets increase towards x2 stock TQ. I wanted to clear the runway for myself and anyone else behind me.

If you want a real world example that the stock clutch is up to the task, you can look no farther than the BBI 675LT with XPRD's EFR7163s turbos running similar hp/tq but on the stock P13 clutch....and yes, the 12C/650/570/675LT has the same clutch[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the response.

·
Owner
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Weekend bump! Who doesn't want more hp on their aging 12C/650S? Make me an offer!

·
Owner
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PRICE DROP!! Motivated to get these to a new home. New price $8300 with blankets with billet Forge actuators!!! Someone is going to snag this soon...

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
A few questions 🙂

1) Is fueling an issue to make 830whp?

2) How about cooling?

3) Who did the tune for you for the new turbos?

4) Not sure if you’ve posted elsewhere about it, but why did you remove them after just 100 miles?

5) what other supporting mods did you find you needed?

6) I only do road race events so 20-30min stints at high RPM (not drag racing), so not sure how well the rest of the engine handles this. A lot of wide open throttle corner to corner. Any insights here?

Most tunes on stock turbos only get to about 700-710 crank power (about 600whp), so jumping to 830whp means about 975 crank hp! Can you confirm we’re talking wheel or crank power? I’m concerned that 44% increase in power over a 675LT - or 73% over a 570! - must need supporting mods in terms of fuel, cooling and more.

However, if we’re talking crank power, then that sounds more doable (it’s just that you mentioned “rwhp” in your post). I think HCD can give you around 827 without changing fueling, so should be realistic.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Owner
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1) Is fueling an issue to make 830whp?
No, stock fuel pumps are more than capable here on pump/race gas. Stock injectors will need to be upgraded around 750rwhp.

2) How about cooling?
Other than a failed waterpump, I have not had any cooling issues. Although, I have been running methanol injection for years. Wouldn't say that is a must though, just helps drop the IATs.

3) Who did the tune for you for the new turbos?
AMS

4) Not sure if you’ve posted elsewhere about it, but why did you remove them after just 100 miles?
Mainly do drag racing and 1/2 mile events, so I am after peak hp. These turbos maxed out at 832rwhp and I am after more...

5) what other supporting mods did you find you needed?
The normal stuff, intake, exhaust, etc. The most important part is finding a capable tuner. I can help with that ;)

6) I only do road race events so 20-30min stints at high RPM (not drag racing), so not sure how well the rest of the engine handles this. A lot of wide open throttle corner to corner. Any insights here?
Yes, I have some thoughts here. I do not think it is as bad as you think since the car was designed for road racing, baffled oil tank, dry sump system, finger follower valvetrain. I think the biggest concern would be around heat soak, which the blankets will help a lot with. There are a few more tips and tricks I can share with whoever ends of buying this setup.

Keep in mind this was just showing the max hp, you can run the same level of boost now and still make a lot more hp since these are larger turbos.

Most tunes on stock turbos only get to about 700-710 crank power (about 600whp), so jumping to 830whp means about 975 crank hp! Can you confirm we’re talking wheel or crank power? I’m concerned that 44% increase in power over a 675LT - or 73% over a 570! - must need supporting mods in terms of fuel, cooling and more.
Yep, that is not a typeo these turbos made over 832hp/ 710 tq to the wheels; I estimated it to be around 930rwhp at the crank. Did you see the dyno video above? Here is the dyno thead:

https://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-mp4-12c/96607-new-record-12c-spider-makes-more-power-than-mclaren-p1-dyno.html

Since I am at this power level, I know for a fact what is and is not needed to reach these numbers :nerd:

However, if we’re talking crank power, then that sounds more doable (it’s just that you mentioned “rwhp” in your post). I think HCD can give you around 827 without changing fueling, so should be realistic.
No, once again, I stated this directly and I do not exaggerate and have evidence of the numbers. These turbos made 832hp to the wheels! Period. I know what others claim to provide, but do they hand you a dyno sheet? I can and have... If they have similar hp or more, do they have the 1/2 mile record and VBox data to back it up, I can and have.

Lets just say, I walk the walk and others talk the talk...

PM me if you want to move forward here

·
Owner
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Owner
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For anyone else interested, these same size turbos just did 864whp on a 600LT! Which beats my record of 832rwhp!:

http://instagr.am/p/B2UVqMTp5Un/
These are awesome turbos and just sitting on a shelf, what a shame. Still looking for a good home. No one else with a 12C/650S is looking to out run a stock 720S? Really?

Make me an offer!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts