McLaren Life banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Sometimes people run a deal/purchase from a private seller and/or re-seller through a mclaren dealer for this type of reason, sales tax credit on trade (selling your car to one dealer and buying from another dealer), comfort of knowing that the car purchase went through a mclaren dealer for other purposes...

See if Tactical fleet and Mclaren Dallas are willing to run the deal through Mac Dallas... It might cost you a couple of grand to do this...

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
They had said that it probably wasn't under warranty but then I spoke to the previous owner about the vehicle and he had said that he got it inspected, etc and it would transfer over. I'm not toooooo upset over it or anything but was hoping that it would be under coverage already when I first receive it.
Yeah, at least you know it was previously covered, so if it did have any problems they were probably addressed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Perhaps Audi ( or whoever) will recognize that Warranty's are a solid profit center when managed and priced properly. Once Audi/Porsche start selling Mac's, perhaps the independent McLaren dealerships will get off their high horse and start being competitive with pricing and services. I can dream can't i??

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Perhaps Audi ( or whoever) will recognize that Warranty's are a solid profit center when managed and priced properly. Once Audi/Porsche start selling Mac's, perhaps the independent McLaren dealerships will get off their high horse and start being competitive with pricing and services. I can dream can't i??
you need to get a better understanding of how things work before commenting so much tbh

• Haha
Reactions: invisiblewave

·
Registered
19 Posts
Clealry you have not owned a Porsche GT car recently - McL Philly are better priced and their excellent service does not even compare to the sh*t show at my local Porsche dealer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yeah, at least you know it was previously covered, so if it did have any problems they were probably addressed.
Absolutely, that's the thing that's easing my mind at this point. I totally understand that you shouldn't own a vehicle like this if you can't afford maintenance on it, well, any vehicle for that matter, but I also just don't want to have to throw money away on repairs that should have been covered from the start. Not saying that will happen but this is the predicament with warranties. It's a very low mileage car and normally I wouldn't worry but it is an expensive vehicle and I've read that people have all sorts of problems. Others say they're quite reliable. Don't know who to believe anymore haha. Warranty and maintenance shouldn't taint the experience of getting into an amazing machine like a McLaren imo.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ok need some opinions if any of you are so kind to give them. :) Looking at warranties with exclusion policies. Found one that has a pretty decent price and not scammy. Here are the exclusions:

All maintenance related items and the following parts including, but not limited to light bulbs, belts, hoses, filters, lubricants, coolants, sparkplugs, glow plugs, batteries, brake pads, rotors, drums, thermostat housing, air springs and air struts. Blind spot sensors, heated steering wheels, fuse boxes/modules, circuit breakers, cellular phones, pre-heated car systems. System restraint sensors and airbags, exhaust system components, including the catalytic converter (the vehicle already has an 8 year/80,000 mile federal catalytic converter warranty). EGR purge valve/ solenoids/sensors, vacuum canister, vapor return canister, vapor return lines/ valves, air pump/ lines/valves.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Ok need some opinions if any of you are so kind to give them. :) Looking at warranties with exclusion policies. Found one that has a pretty decent price and not scammy. Here are the exclusions:

All maintenance related items and the following parts including, but not limited to light bulbs, belts, hoses, filters, lubricants, coolants, sparkplugs, glow plugs, batteries, brake pads, rotors, drums, thermostat housing, air springs and air struts. Blind spot sensors, heated steering wheels, fuse boxes/modules, circuit breakers, cellular phones, pre-heated car systems. System restraint sensors and airbags, exhaust system components, including the catalytic converter (the vehicle already has an 8 year/80,000 mile federal catalytic converter warranty). EGR purge valve/ solenoids/sensors, vacuum canister, vapor return canister, vapor return lines/ valves, air pump/ lines/valves.

Thoughts?
That seems like a reasonable list of exclusions, although be aware that it will not cover damage caused by failure of any of those. My biggest issues with the non-McLaren ESC (warranty), was knowing whether they would be in business when I made a claim, or be so shocked by McLaren prices that they'd be difficult.

The whole point of buying a warranty is to not worry, so I went with the McLaren option, despite it being rather pricey.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
That seems like a reasonable list of exclusions, although be aware that it will not cover damage caused by failure of any of those. My biggest issues with the non-McLaren ESC (warranty), was knowing whether they would be in business when I made a claim, or be so shocked by McLaren prices that they'd be difficult.

The whole point of buying a warranty is to not worry, so I went with the McLaren option, despite it being rather pricey.
Thank you for your thoughts. I also found out that they have a claim limit of $12,500 for the life of the policy. So you pay $6000, and the max you can get out of the policy is $6500 technically. Doesn't really sound like that great of a deal. I'll probably just be visiting the McLaren dealership to try to go through them. Half of me wants to risk it without extended warranty, the other half is slightly terrified by that idea. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Thank you for your thoughts. I also found out that they have a claim limit of $12,500 for the life of the policy. So you pay $6000, and the max you can get out of the policy is $6500 technically. Doesn't really sound like that great of a deal. I'll probably just be visiting the McLaren dealership to try to go through them. Half of me wants to risk it without extended warranty, the other half is slightly terrified by that idea. :ROFLMAO:
We're all in that same ambivalent state. I look on it more as an insurance policy against catastrophy, with the bonus that it also pays for other more trivial, but still expensive, problems. The McLaren policy also covers hoses, which are a common problem.

·
Registered
2017 570S coupe
163 Posts
I just went through this thought process again, as it’ll be the second time I extend the McLaren warranty on my 2017. Reading through the policy, there are relatively few exclusions. Expense limit is the car’s value, which is reasonable. And as stated above, one of the things you’re purchasing is actually peace of mind. You can drive the car for a couple of years without worry (about either repairs OR payment by a third party warranty), and to me that adds to the enjoyment. You get their roadside assistance with the policy, as well.

During the last couple of years my car has needed some AC work, and it was covered by the McLaren extended warranty.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts