McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I know there are several threads about this but wanted to get your thoughts on my warranty situation.

I'm taking delivery of a used 2017 570S next week. It has a McLaren extended warranty until the end of May.

There are some cosmetic modifications as well as Larini GT1 exhaust and Novitec springs. The vehicle was certified by McLaren Dallas after those modifications were made and then the extended warranty was purchased.

Of course the question is, should I extend the warranty out further? If so, who should I go with to actually warranty the vehicle?

My main issue is that I've been scouring the forums and have read that things as little as changing the wheel sizes could flag you at the dealer when trying to get service. I'm not into tracking and doing a lot of mechanical work / upgrades, but changing the cosmetics or exhaust system is something that I'd look to do. I'm not as familiar with this platform since it's my first and don't want to run into issues servicing it just in case some goes wrong. The car already has 325/25/21 tires on the rear and I think that is out of normal spec, so I could possibly get flagged at the dealer on my first visit....

If McLaren is not the way to for warranty, are any of the others out there actually legit? I've seen Total Auto Protect, Fidelity, EasyCare but not sure if the latter 2 will cover McLaren. Total Auto Protect quoted $6974 for 2 years with a $250 deductible for their highest plan. 3 year for $8147 and you can get a prorated refund if you end up cancelling.

Any insight or thoughts are much appreciated as I start this journey.

Edit - I think I should mention that I had a very thorough PPI done before purchasing the car. Some minor things came up, but overall it's in great shape.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
If the exhaust includes the downpipes, the McLaren warranty they're selling you is already partially invalidated.

I've had good experience with Fidelity on my Phaeton, and the prices you've been quoted are good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the exhaust includes the downpipes, the McLaren warranty they're selling you is already partially invalidated.

I've had good experience with Fidelity on my Phaeton, and the prices you've been quoted are good.
I don’t believe the current exhaust replaced the downpipes unless I’m mistaken.

I appreciate your input on Fidelity as well. I’ll be reaching out to them for a quote.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It looks as though Fidelity's Vehicle Protection plan (i.e. Platinum exclusionary coverage) can only be obtained through an Auto dealership. Is this true?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks as though Fidelity's Vehicle Protection plan (i.e. Platinum exclusionary coverage) can only be obtained through an Auto dealership. Is this true?
That could very well be true. I’ve heard that companies like Fidelity are the ones that actually hold the extended warranties that are sometimes provided at dealerships.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Yes, that may well be the case, mine came through a VW dealer. I paid $3300 for 3 years and it paid out $26k. Best investment I've ever made.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So how does one get Fidelity Vehicle Protection plan for their McLaren - if it has to be via a dealership??

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
So how does one get Fidelity Vehicle Protection plan for their McLaren - if it has to be via a dealership??
Through a dealer that uses Fidelity? I looked at a 570S at an Audi dealer who were doing to put an warranty on it that they use for all the exotics they sell.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have an update here for anyone that cares :ROFLMAO:. The extended warranty is actually NON-transferrable when the car has been sold to non McLaren dealer and then subsequently purchased by someone like myself. I had talked to the previous owner as well as verified with my local deal that the vehicle was under warranty before I purchased it. Now I come to find out that the warranty is there, but I just can't have it. Nice.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I have an update here for anyone that cares :ROFLMAO:. The extended warranty is actually NON-transferrable when the car has been sold to non McLaren dealer and then subsequently purchased by someone like myself. I had talked to the previous owner as well as verified with my local deal that the vehicle was under warranty before I purchased it. Now I come to find out that the warranty is there, but I just can't have it. Nice.
You can still get a warranty, but you have to wait 90 days, then pay for a dealer inspection and the warranty itself. I believe there may also be a further 90 day wait before you can claim, but I'm not sure about that one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can still get a warranty, but you have to wait 90 days, then pay for a dealer inspection and the warranty itself. I believe there may also be a further 90 day wait before you can claim, but I'm not sure about that one.
Yeah I knew that it was possible with dealer inspection and everything. Just feels like a double-dipping type situation from McLaren. Was brought to the McLaren dealer for service, owner paid for inspection and extended warranty, now new owner pays for inspection and extended warranty just 6 months later.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just traded my 570 to a McLaren dealer and got the prorated refund on the extended warranty.

There was a comment recently referring to McLaren dealers allowing modified cars to pass thru with warranty. Having just traded for a 720 with a warranty I needed confirmation that this car was not covered under any of the flagged vehicles. Here is a partial response from a contact at McLaren.

"We are well aware that there were a couple McLaren retailers that were allowing some cars to slide by with modifications. However, we feel we have done a pretty thorough job of cracking-down on these particular retailers in the last year and flagging numerous cars, but if you hear of any instance that we should take a closer look at, please do let me know. We do everything we can to ensure that any modified or abused cars be flagged and that any new potential owners be informed prior to their purchase of those cars whenever possible. Obviously we can’t catch them all, but we will always investigate every situation and do everything we can to protect new owners and the reputation of the McLaren brand."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just traded my 570 to a McLaren dealer and got the prorated refund on the extended warranty.

There was a comment recently referring to McLaren dealers allowing modified cars to pass thru with warranty. Having just traded for a 720 with a warranty I needed confirmation that this car was not covered under any of the flagged vehicles. Here is a partial response from a contact at McLaren.

"We are well aware that there were a couple McLaren retailers that were allowing some cars to slide by with modifications. However, we feel we have done a pretty thorough job of cracking-down on these particular retailers in the last year and flagging numerous cars, but if you hear of any instance that we should take a closer look at, please do let me know. We do everything we can to ensure that any modified or abused cars be flagged and that any new potential owners be informed prior to their purchase of those cars whenever possible. Obviously we can’t catch them all, but we will always investigate every situation and do everything we can to protect new owners and the reputation of the McLaren brand."
I do appreciate this train of thought coming from McLaren.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tactical will have known this when they sold you the car.....
They had said that it probably wasn't under warranty but then I spoke to the previous owner about the vehicle and he had said that he got it inspected, etc and it would transfer over. I'm not toooooo upset over it or anything but was hoping that it would be under coverage already when I first receive it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
They had said that it probably wasn't under warranty but then I spoke to the previous owner about the vehicle and he had said that he got it inspected, etc and it would transfer over. I'm not toooooo upset over it or anything but was hoping that it would be under coverage already when I first receive it.
Entirely possible the owner got a refund from McLaren if he cancelled. They are very prompt in returning the refund.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts