McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
At some point I'm going to jump in and starts summarizing where I think I see some consensus... but for now, I'll let everyone dream on! :)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Yes, rear camera and soft closing doors.............oh, and more bolster to the drivers seat.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
So here is the list from what I perceived to be things there is some consensus on (from this thread and others on the forums) in rough order of perceived importance/consensus:

1) More POWER
2.1) Improve IRIS
2.2) Improve bluetooth sound (stop sound crackle problems)
2.3) Improve Navigation accuracy
2.4) Add voice activation
2.5) Add at least an additional 9 Favorite Stations
2.6) Add at least 9 Favorite People/Numbers (quick dial)
2.7) Add basic functions such as redial
2.8) In IRIS media, hold down "next/Previous" button to forward/back the track at a faster speed (good for skipping parts of songs you don't like or to back track and listen to a part that you missed)
2.9) In IRIS Media, fix when you hit the "previous" button when listening to a song/track from files (memory stick etc and not ipod) so it does not go all the way back to the previous track, and instead goes to the beginning of the Track. This happens regardless of how far into the track you are, whether in the middle or even at the very end of the track. This includes when you are within the first few seconds of the song which is fine as this is a typical feature on other "mature" systems, realizing you more than likely want to re-hear the previous track.
2.10) Add traffic to navigation (see (f) below)
2.11) In NAV, fix the UI to allow searching of POIs without requiring drill down to subcategories. For example, you should be able to start typing and search all POIs, or go to some category and start searching for POIs without having to select the ultimate/last subcategory. Right now, if you dont drill down all the way to the subcategory level, you cannot search. So for example, I wasn't able to find a shopping mall, after selecting "Shopping" and trying every sub category, no malls would come up. You should just be able to start searching in POIs in general, or selecting just Shopping and searching for results.
2.12) Contacts should import pictures and show the contact photo for incoming calls, and whenever talking to a person on the phone.
3) Rear view camera
4) Add integrated garage door opener, e.g., Homelink
5) Add additional tire/software support (particularly the Michelins)
6) Improve low speed shift responsiveness
7) Add an on-the-go kill-the-nanny button/knob setting/dial setting
8) Increase under-thigh seat bolster support
9) Better tolerances on car fit/finish gaps
10) Turning headlights (that adjust and turn-in at lower speeds to see better around corners)
11) auto-dimming mirrors

And the following list is more errata that I don't see consensus on yet, but thought I'd try to capture a list on so you guys can either ignore it, or bump up some of the features. They include:

(a)-Add "iOS in the Car"
(b)-Add HUD
(c)-Add sync'ing of addresses in when phone syncs in contacts, to be used with NAV
(d)-Increase volume of left/right turn signal
(e)-Add bluetooth audio tethering so music plays through IRIS without physically plugging in device
(f)-Add bluetooth tethering so car can use your phone's data to get traffic and other data updates
(g)-Add fans for low temperature heat exchangers
(h)-Add more interior storage
(i)-Add mechanical slip differential
(j)-Add simple next track/volume buttons to steering wheel (or at least...)
(k)-Add ability to select next track by double tapping the mute button
(L)-Add auto seat memory position based on presence of FOB1 vs. FOB2... (I like this one a lot)
(m)-Soft closing doors (not sure what that one means)
(n)-More seat bolster
(o)-Adjust brake to have easier modulation
(p)-Add vanity mirror
(q)-Remove under tray strakes/increase ground clearance (kinda think this is handled with the 2013 lift)
(r)-Move car dash info setup/stats to main IRIS screen ala Tesla's big screen setup
(s)-Improve plastic trim surface finish quality (e.g., wiper cover/well, window trim, soft weather stripping, etc.)
(t)-Offer option of sports seats (e.g., carbon back seats used in Porsche GT2/3)
(u) Have the system go off uniformly/consistently/predictably (so there is no variation in turning off under different circumstances, e.g., sometimes it turns off with engine shutdown, sometimes when opening the door to exit, sometimes when locking the doors and sometimes 10 to 15 min after closing the doors and walking away!)
(v) In IRIS Media, recognizing folders on memory devices (this helps in organizing your music and in effect creating playlists)

Hopefully I got most of them...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Rear Camera is a must-have safety feature like TPMS (which is required on all single axle US cars and trucks since 2008)

HUD I believe first in the world by GM 1988. (F-16 before that.) It oddly, nay bizarrely, never caught on. My new 5 series has it. It's awesome. No one should be taking eyes off the track to check speed or gear.

Even an AND car cannot be a blonde brunette. One man's improvement is another's dead weight. For example, smoother and faster shifts will not soon happen. I like the consensus though. Good work.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Rear Camera is coming through safety regulations in the US (similar to TPMS), though it may still not apply as a requirement to cars like the 12C. Here is a link.

I think others have covered most of what I'd like to see. If I were to nit-pick, I'd plead to improve the quality of the plastic pieces used for the window trim and windshield wiper motor cover. The current pieces suffer from very poor surface finish quality and tooling marks. For example (don't read this if you suffer from OCD like me), look at the windshield wiper motor cover and at least on LHD cars you'll see an elliptical outline RH from center. It's clearly a tooling mark (maybe the RHD cars position the wipers there) and shouldn't be there. Yes yes, highly critical but I admire Ron Dennis for his fanatical attention to detail (ex: no common Phillips head fasteners are used in the MTC for even light switches). Same for some of the soft weatherstripping that suffers from areas with white ghosting, a result of the manufacturing process that shouldn't be there. McLaren outsources these types of components and they should be more diligent with their suppliers.

Lastly, please contact the supplier of Porsche's sports bucket seats w/ carbon backs used in the GT2 and GT3 RS and offer them as an option. They have airbags so they are legal in the US, and are a great solution for those of us that want a factory optioned "race" seat.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
How about a Stereo 8 music tape system?

Proven reliability and funky in a Ron way!.......as in the perfect solution........

·
Registered
312 Posts
What I miss most is the 4th position on the handling dial: N-S-T-'F'......... as in FUN, for tail out sliding, but still not turning off the nannies completely, maybe 30 degree slides? Not to push the wrong buttons here, but Jeremy has a point, sometimes, its not about being fastest, sometimes, showing what 600 HP can do and scaring the beejesus out of my wife would be cool......... :eek: :D

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That's a great suggestion. Easy to engage on the fly kill-the-nanny setting. I think that will get a bunch of consensus.

You know what's interesting. Not a single person mentioned more engine noise! :) I think we can officially kill that tired ole song.

·
Registered
715 Posts
What I miss most is the 4th position on the handling dial: N-S-T-'F'......... as in FUN, for tail out sliding, but still not turning off the nannies completely, maybe 30 degree slides? Not to push the wrong buttons here, but Jeremy has a point, sometimes, its not about being fastest, sometimes, showing what 600 HP can do and scaring the beejesus out of my wife would be cool......... :eek: :D
Good God Yes!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well, that is exactly my point - why do the nannies have to be so digital, we already have a rotary dial, it should be possible to go from benign to wicked, and to totally insane if one is so inclined.
BTW - it's not really the traction control so much as it is combination of brake steer, stability control and traction control (and whatever else NSA monitors these days....:()

You wanna scare the wife? You're gonna have to scare yourself first. Turn the traction control all the way off!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Well, that is exactly my point - why do the nannies have to be so digital, we already have a rotary dial, it should be possible to go from benign to wicked, and to totally insane if one is so inclined.
BTW - it's not really the traction control so much as it is combination of brake steer, stability control and traction control (and whatever else NSA monitors these days....:()
That's hilarious.

But the infinite capability instead of 3 notches is a cool idea with programmable presets. Like the AMG button on an SLS. Start with the H and the P and then add separate stability and brake steer or traction dials. Really adjust the character and balance of the car over a gradient.

Too much? Probably. But cool nonetheless. The whole panel can have discrete points in regular mode and gradients in expert mode. But to get into expert mode you need a cactus, a goose and urine collection cup.

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
This is also a huge ( and my main ) complaint and I'm sorry if I don't explain it properly . All the 12cs I've driven on track with everything turned off are very unnatural in feeling . They rarely seem to do the same thing at the same place ( especially on the limit ) . It's a very artificial feeling . Some of that is definitely down to the diff( or lack of ) but I suspect the the suspension trying to keep the car flat all the time combined with the brake steer trying to do the job of a slippy diff are also not helping . The pitch and roll of the car going into some corners ( especially after hard braking that deploys the rear wing ) becomes a little unresolved and very artificial in feeling . It is like the brake steer and suspension do not know what to do with "everything off " and get confused . The car certainly "works" better with the nannies in place . It's built for ultimate laptimes not interaction and feel . This I think is a mistake and a reason why cars that are in many ways inferior to the 12c consistently score more " feel good " points .
This is the main thing mclaren need to change going forwards for an enthusiast with a reasonable driving level . It feels electric not mechanical .

21 - 40 of 54 Posts