McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought we'd start up the thread, On what things would like to see improved in the car with baby some interesting specifics that Mclaren can take a look at.

First one, obvious, improvements to Iris. However it would be interesting to think about what those improvements might be, be on getting the nav to be accurate within half a mile. I'm praying apples "iOS in the car" will be adopted. Also Would love Bluetooth tethering of devices for the car, not just for the phone, but also to play audio through, and provide the car the source of data for other systems in the car to be updated.

Another is a HUD.

http://m.autoblog.com/2013/07/06/head-up-display-sales-heading-up/

What when I first used a HUD in a Corvette, I thought it was a hokey gimmick. I ended up loving it over time, as it definitely keeps you aware of your speed. It's also really good with the navigation system in giving you left right suggestions right in your peripheral view.

Also, it would be great to have some some buttons on the steering wheel. I'd want to keep these to a minimum, I really can't Stand the overuse of buttons on the Ferrari steering wheel. However one for next and previous selections to keep me from mash my hand at the touch screen while driving. Actually if they would just let me double tap the mute button, or something similar to skip to the next track that would be an awesome improvement.

I'd also like a little bit more audible feedback to hear the turn signal going, it's very quiet

Nothing else is really jumping out at me at the moment, which is a testament to how awesome the car is.

So what say you, any other doodads or things you'd like to see?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ok - I take the bait, short list for me: Fit and finish, back up camera, fans for the low temperature heat exchangers, interior storage, sun visors, vanity mirrors, door closing - coming from Audis explains why I have a problem with panel gaps that are so grotesque, they need to be cleaned, most panels needed some adjustment to align; the lack of a back up camera is just a gaffe of epic proportions; the exploded view of the car McLaren is so proud to sprinkle all over shows fans on the LTHE, but if they ever installed them, they sure did a poor job installing them on my car - to wit, driving around in hot CA weather in a city or slow moving traffic for a bit and the car responds and buckles like a riding lawn mover, there simply isn't enough air flowing through the heat exchangers to keep the intercoolers cool and power is drastically cut....well, all the rest is surely coming in a future product upgrade, they have to have some room for 'improvements' ;)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fit and finish in my car is pretty good. Completely agree re rear view camera! There seems to be a spot in the back bumper. I'm hoping there is an upgrade.

·
Registered
312 Posts
In the below thread 'MP4-12C Full detail' are tons of pics - is your car better than that car? Mine is about the same as that volcano red MP4, that is what I call atrocious panel gaps in some places, e.g. the rear bumper around the repeater in the wheel well and back, that's ugly as hell......

Fit and finish in my car is pretty good. Completely agree re rear view camera! There seems to be a spot in the back bumper. I'm hoping there is an upgrade.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow. Honestly, I haven't taken a close look like that. Nothing has stood out, and that kind of thing generally stands out to me. That said, I have a feeling your standards are probably more exacting than mine. I'll take a look see next time out.

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Better fit and finish , throttle response , addition of mechanical slippy diff , better sound system , bluetooth , sat nav etc etc .
Panel gaps need addressing in places , support for seats at the lower part of thigh ( just above the knee area ) .

·
Registered
715 Posts
More tire options and commensurate software.

A little bit longer to push the stalk to return the seat to proper position. Or better yet memory positions keyed to the fobs and auto return upon start. Failing all that moving the damn seat heater button away from the memory positions. A bothersome nit. I guess I'm enthralled by the exhaust note every time I get in I rush to start her up and forget the stalk thing.

Otherwise not anything of substance, save iris.

My panel fit is as good as the 458. Not as good as an RS8. I wonder what dealers think about this issue. Upon delivery my dealer noticed a slight misalignment of the trunk lid. Had it realigned immediately. I find my dealer more than willing to address any issues that may come up. Real and imagined.

But I hear that the MO cars have better fit and finish and are faster. (That's the imagined part)

·
Registered
367 Posts
As mentioned elsewhere, the gearing. Clutches want to slip constantly in first and second. That might be fixable with software, at the expense of smoothness. Whatever, the net effect is an un-458 feeling of non responsiveness at town speeds.

IMO McLaren doesn't have the time, interest, or resources to alter its course based on this minutia. They will slowly perfect the platform and it's minor components. Changing things actually impedes that. They need the 911 evolution not more big change.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Better fit and finish , throttle response , addition of mechanical slippy diff , better sound system , bluetooth , sat nav etc etc .
Panel gaps need addressing in places , support for seats at the lower part of thigh ( just above the knee area ) .
You can spec race seats now which I think would solve the support issue. Don't have to have the track pack to get the seats now.. Agree that the standards lack in thigh support

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IMO McLaren doesn't have the time, interest, or resources to alter its course based on this minutia. They will slowly perfect the platform and it's minor components. Changing things actually impedes that. They need the 911 evolution not more big change.
Ergo, I hope you're wrong. There are a TON of great ideas all in this thread alone. We have just saved them a good chunk of change on significant marketing feedback. Many of these things are low-effort improvements they can make.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
The company has stepped up to the plate and left no Mclaren behind - mine is perfection.

Would really like a closer dealer but it's nice to have only 3 MP4's in St Louis.

The best thing for me to come out of this thread - Mclaren is guilted into giving even more hp :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ergo, I hope you're wrong. There are a TON of great ideas all in this thread alone. We have just saved them a good chunk of change on significant marketing feedback. Many of these things are low-effort improvements they can make.
Yessir I hope I'm wrong too
I think making present "stuff" work is a better plan than adding new.
Three of us should be nominated to serve as gratis consultants!
6e...who else?

;)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do we have anyone that is so annoying and distasteful to be around that McLaren will submit to their every request only to get rid of them? ☺ If not that, someone that is a member of the press is always good. Or the Mob. ☺

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Do we have anyone that is so annoying and distasteful to be around that McLaren will submit to their every request only to get rid of them? ☺ If not that, someone that is a member of the press is always good. Or the Mob. ☺
Felipe Massa comes to mind :)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I do think there is a trap with this question..........we analyse the options to death and can always think of improvements because we are typical enthusiasts.

I don't mean to trivialise the contributions but just point out that we will always find something to improve especially the engineers amongst the owners!

For me the suspension lacks vertical stability at speed on non-race track roads....OK, public roads, which I confess the MP12 goads me into fastish speeds. I think this is a major issue as speed has to be sacrificed to reduce the bucking and front bottoming out. This is counter to the cars ethos.

The on board consumer electronics will evolve and be changed to something that supports the Brand....no doubt in my judgement, it is the one area that niggles a wide range of owners especially as Mclaren declared lofty goals and targets from day one.

Lastly I would like a paint finish that is robust to everyday use.........not soft, mark if you look at it, spoil the looks lipstick quality.

It is a great car dynamically and will evolve very quickly to be better.

I am now off my soapbox and ready for incoming ordinance.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Electronics (the usual bitches), built-in garage door opener, elimination of the funky undertray strakes that limit ground clearance, wider dealership network so I don't have to keep shipping the car to Dallas, oh, and.......MORE POWER!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Vanity mirror, garage opener, rear view camera are all I think is missing...perhaps a lip to shade the screen a bit against sun drowning out the center panel... Oh and who would complain bout more power?;)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I forgot the brakes, the iron brakes...........need to resist soft pedal with excessive movement when on track and I would prefer more modulation or easier modulation a la Porsche or das zimerler to Porsche.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I do think there is a trap with this question..........we analyse the options to death and can always think of improvements because we are typical enthusiasts.

I don't mean to trivialise the contributions but just point out that we will always find something to improve especially the engineers amongst the owners!

Lastly I would like a paint finish that is robust to everyday use.........not soft, mark if you look at it, spoil the looks lipstick quality.

It is a great car dynamically and will evolve very quickly to be better.

I am now off my soapbox and ready for incoming ordinance.
Mclaren switched systems in early 2013.

I prefer the old the Glasurit paint system but Mclaren switched to Akzo Nobel paint system Sikkens.

Definitive Wax Systems I believe had a thread on this a few months ago.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts