McLaren Life banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a California registered (still has california license plates on) 2012 MP4-12 with 10,xxx miles that is currently in Vancouver, BC (were I live). I am getting the car at a very good deal :D. That being said I would have deal with registering this car from the US to Canada.

My question I was hoping I could get some advice on are as follows:

-What are the cost associated with importing/exporting the car into Canada.

-Will any part need to be changed in order to meet Canadian standards.

-Is it worth it?

I am hoping someone has had a similar experience and could share their knowledge and the cost associated with such scenario. Also on side not , does anybody know where I can find out which packages are equipped on the car with the VIN number?

Thanks !!

·
Registered
101 Posts
For me I would be bothered by the fact that the odometer is in miles instead of km. I also live in the vancouver region and there are tons of good 12C coupes at the dealer. To spare you all the hassles of transferring, might as well just buy one there.

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" MP4-12C
679 Posts
Call your local dealer and give them the VIN, they can give you a full list of the options it left the factory with. importing the car is a bit of a hassle.

I know its 400.00 to cross the border. I just bought a 1986 Mercedes in Canada and its costing me nearly 3k to get it down to Atlanta GA.

Because the car you are buying is not 25 yrs old it will have to meet all your (Canada's) current emissions and crash test requirements. The good news is USA and Canada have similar requirements, but DOUBLE CHECK with an expert importer company BEFORE you pay for the car or you might be stuck.

Good Luck! I hope it works out. In the end please share what you learn regarding exporting to Canada and how much money and time it ends up costing.

Reactions: ChrisGreen

·
Vendor
77 Posts
Hello @kahun,

We would be happy o help you with any questions you have regarding the importation of a McLaren 12C and also help you balance the options of possibly finding you a fit on a local Canadian 12C likely within the same price range as the one you are contemplating from Cali. Can you please DM me your contact details and we can discuss further?

Best,

Chris

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a California registered (still has california license plates on) 2012 MP4-12 with 10,xxx miles that is currently in Vancouver, BC (were I live). I am getting the car at a very good deal :D. That being said I would have deal with registering this car from the US to Canada.

My question I was hoping I could get some advice on are as follows:

-What are the cost associated with importing/exporting the car into Canada.

-Will any part need to be changed in order to meet Canadian standards.

-Is it worth it?

I am hoping someone has had a similar experience and could share their knowledge and the cost associated with such scenario. Also on side not , does anybody know where I can find out which packages are equipped on the car with the VIN number?

Thanks !!

·
Registered
76 Posts
So, whatever in US dollar, add~ 40% (that include duty and import fee, roughly) and then PST, GST, luxury tax. Shipping cost may be $1,000, and then out of country inspection, and out of province inspection..(may just need one) check with ICBC.

So, let say you found a 12C in decent shape, and will pass all the inspections for $135k US, will be app. $190k cad net. (Again, shipping, all kind of taxes and fee on top, and whatever the Mclaren dealer will charge you in order to register in B.C.)

May well, look at the beautiful Dark grey 12C at the Mclaren Vancouver dealership for $199k cad since you are in Vancouver anyway! Quite low km at 23k Km, (14k mile) Resell value for Canadian model will be higher than US import too. (Say 5% higher in general)

Not sure if I can post the link, but you can check their site..

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wouldn't bother with it. There are many good deals on 12C's in good shape in the US that you could buy and ship without the import hassle. Just my opinion.
In my experience with the 650S, 570 and now 720 out the McLaren dealers are willing to work on good deals on 12C's.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think OP wants to import a US spec 12C to Canada, and since there is basically only one dealer in whole Canada,with no competition, hardly get a "deal". (even service) especially now when the Cad$ is weak, no real benefit to import an exotic from US to Canada as 5 or 10 year ago when Canadian dollar was 35% stronger than now.

Which is a good thing for McLaren owners, McLaren's depreciation curve isn't near as bad as US, even there are lots of used 12C and 650S around, but half of all pre-owned Mcl are from same dealer, they have control in price, and not willing to drop the pants .. indeed, 12C value has being going up last 2 year! One 12C I looked at just over 2 year ago was $185K cad, same car was listed for $225K few month ago, and sold quick!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
My friend had recently shipped his car to Canada from California, he had hired an auto transporting company. They transported his car in a fair price and also helps in the procedure which is required. You can also contact the car transport in California they will help you in all the queries.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts