McLaren Life banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm in the UK, looking at a car that was originally supplied to Indonesia, then re-imported into the UK. Any issues with this? Is it easy to switch the dash between km and miles?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,913 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
no particular issues other than making sure maintenance was done correctly.
yes,dash can be set to imperial or metric.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, thanks, so the dash looks easy.
Car has been recently checked by McLaren and comes with a McLaren warranty. I can't see any downsides. Anyone got anything to add.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
146 Posts
I'd want to know why the car has come back from Indonesia - purely so I can tell anyone who asks in the future if/when I was looking to sell the car.

Otherwise I don't see an issue.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If it’s the Volvano Yellow that has been around a few different independents probably not a good buy unless it’s under £125k

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I noticed that one has been for sale for a while. Do you have any specifics? If it's a dud then surely it's a dud at any price as it will turn into a money pit?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Okay, thanks, so the dash looks easy.
Car has been recently checked by McLaren and comes with a McLaren warranty. I can't see any downsides. Anyone got anything to add.
Thanks
How are you so sure that the warranty is in tact for a car that is purchased in one country and imported to another country.?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only going by what the dealer has said. I agree, important to check it is a genuine McLaren warranty, but that's what he says.
From McLaren's point of view, they can check what repairs have been done (from the VIN), and examine the vehicle in England. You would think they would be okay with continuing the warranty, tho, obviously, you never know with McLaren

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
@Engineer
I think the nearest McLaren sales and service dealer to Indonesia is in Singapore. In a thread on diagnostic systems a group of guys based in Asian countries, without official dealerships, got together and purchased a diagnostic system so they could clear codes and perform local service & routine oil changes etc. They would have a service technician fly in from the Singapore dealership when more complex work was required.

Another possible explanation for the car being returned to UK is that the tax on import cars is very high in Indonesia. Consulate cars are exempt the 300% tax but a transfer to a local buyer would incur the tax. :(

·
Registered
113 Posts
GVE London who are a sports car dealer in London have had a few Far Eastern imports on SOR over the years. They have some connection to Indonesia/Malaysia/Singapore

From many posts folks have put up the cars are never quite what they seem, they had a recent Volvcano Yellow 720s which kept popping up in different dealers over past 9 months or so but they purported to still have it on sale bizarrely.

Allegedly the VY has had a UK extended warranty put on. Now I am assuming this is the car you are referring to Engineer ?

If it is then you need the supplying dealer to verify the Warranty is a Factory extended warranty, confirm it hasn’t been in an accident and get some provenance of who has owned it and as said previously an offer of £125k,

Maybe a decent purchase then but will always be difficult to sell on in the future unfortunately

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@eMcL, there's a dealer in Jakarta.

Yes, it's the Volcano Yellow car. It was sold by GVE in October, with 2000 miles on it. Now it's for sale again with 4800 miles on it. So the 2nd owner didn't keep it very long. This, for me, raises more questions than the car iniitally being purchased in Indonesia. I guess some people buy a car, drive it for a few months, then move on to a different one - lots of supercars to try out, and he put plenty of miles on it. Equally, it's possible he had a bad experience and wanted rid.
If a car had initially been purchased in Scotland, and was now in London, we wouldn't question why that was, would we? Dealers get cars where they can get them. If you're importaing a Corvette, it's different: left hand drive, with a US emissions system, and hard to get parts for servicing or repairs. Everyone here seems to think this 720 is the same as a one delivered to the UK. Not sure I see time spent overseas as a problem.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
@eMcL, there's a dealer in Jakarta.

Yes, it's the Volcano Yellow car. It was sold by GVE in October, with 2000 miles on it. Now it's for sale again with 4800 miles on it. So the 2nd owner didn't keep it very long. This, for me, raises more questions than the car iniitally being purchased in Indonesia. I guess some people buy a car, drive it for a few months, then move on to a different one - lots of supercars to try out, and he put plenty of miles on it. Equally, it's possible he had a bad experience and wanted rid.
If a car had initially been purchased in Scotland, and was now in London, we wouldn't question why that was, would we? Dealers get cars where they can get them. If you're importaing a Corvette, it's different: left hand drive, with a US emissions system, and hard to get parts for servicing or repairs. Everyone here seems to think this 720 is the same as a one delivered to the UK. Not sure I see time spent overseas as a problem.
Overseas thing wouldn't scare me (there is a 765 for sale in USA with delivery miles that was imported from Canada).

There wasn't a dealer in the Phillipines at the time when those guys bought Mac's from worldwide dealers. They would run into problems now in the Phillipines if they needed warranty work. The warranty is covered in the country that the original dealer sold the car into. Manufactures treat it differently (if you are visiting another country with your car and something goes wrong, or you are the original owner and took delivery in one country and then eventually you and car relocated to another jursidiction).

I do know a person with a P1 that had his car delivered in one country. Took it for a tour and had some warranty work performed in USA without any issues. He then brought it to U.K. and they wouldn't honor his warranty since it wasn't purchased in that country/jurisdiction).

Reactions: eMcL
1 - 13 of 13 Posts