McLaren Life banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
dammm. 5 x 2500 now that's a good days pay. Holidays double time? I'd probably only work one day a week at that rate. Go fishing the rest of the week.
="smokeygt, post: 1828621, member: 27034"]
dammm. 5 x 2500 now that's a good days pay. Holidays double time? I'd probably only work one day a week at that rate. Go fishing the rest of the week.
[/QUOTE]
I haven't had double time since i was 23(aka work for someone) lol. Work,grind, invest, scale, work, repeat- you have your 5x at what you said in time. I used to fish a ton as a kid- no more. I play golf, cars, travel when I can- single and no kids. Life is real good

·
Registered
14 Posts
As being new to the Mclaren family, I did do some homework about DYI maintenance before jumping in. What I found at least with the 570's, most of it is straight forward and can be completed by most anyone with some tools and a general knowledge of auto repairs. Well having owned lots of different cars including several Corvettes, MB, a Lotus Esprit and a VW Phaeton,. I mention the Phaeton as it was the most complicated and time consuming oil change I have ever had to do. The bottom tray had like 18-19 bolts of three difference sizes, but the bonus was getting to the oil filter. You had to completely remove the pass side airfilter assembly and tubing to get access to the filter. Start to finish it was about a 4 hour job which was confirmed by a VW tech when I ask him if there was a short cut or something I was missing. Simple answer - NO its just a PITA. Some cars are a 15 min job while others are not.

The Mclaren oil filters are just repackaged filters used by BMW that are available aftermarket for less than $15. O-rings and washers - buy a assorted pack of each from Amazon for approx $20, Oil is simply Mobil 1 0w40 European for about $30/5 qt jug.

I am fortunate being able to be able to work on cars. I to all of the routine maintenance and repairs for all the family vehicles as much as a time saver as well as more cost effective. It often takes me less time than just the drive to a shop or dealer. Dealers now have fancy waiting rooms for a reason. The Mclaren dealer is 2 1/2 away so again time savings is a big driver not to mention their lofty labor rates.

While not rare or as expensive as a Mclaren, Corvettes are nice fun cars and provide excellent performance/looks for the $$ so dont knock them.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
As being new to the Mclaren family, I did do some homework about DYI maintenance before jumping in. What I found at least with the 570's, most of it is straight forward and can be completed by most anyone with some tools and a general knowledge of auto repairs. Well having owned lots of different cars including several Corvettes, MB, a Lotus Esprit and a VW Phaeton,. I mention the Phaeton as it was the most complicated and time consuming oil change I have ever had to do. The bottom tray had like 18-19 bolts of three difference sizes, but the bonus was getting to the oil filter. You had to completely remove the pass side airfilter assembly and tubing to get access to the filter. Start to finish it was about a 4 hour job which was confirmed by a VW tech when I ask him if there was a short cut or something I was missing. Simple answer - NO its just a PITA. Some cars are a 15 min job while others are not.

The Mclaren oil filters are just repackaged filters used by BMW that are available aftermarket for less than $15. O-rings and washers - buy a assorted pack of each from Amazon for approx $20, Oil is simply Mobil 1 0w40 European for about $30/5 qt jug.

I am fortunate being able to be able to work on cars. I to all of the routine maintenance and repairs for all the family vehicles as much as a time saver as well as more cost effective. It often takes me less time than just the drive to a shop or dealer. Dealers now have fancy waiting rooms for a reason. The Mclaren dealer is 2 1/2 away so again time savings is a big driver not to mention their lofty labor rates.

While not rare or as expensive as a Mclaren, Corvettes are nice fun cars and provide excellent performance/looks for the $$ so dont knock them.
Is that a W12 Phaeton or a V8? On the V8, it's not necessary to remove the air filter box. With a small hand, you can do it without even moving it, but I usually pull it out of the grommet for better access, getting it completely out of the car is like a Chinese puzzle on that side. Even with the airbox removal, it's certainly not a 4 hour job. I've done it myself several times, but now I take it to my local Kwik Kar, where it probably takes about 30 mins.

·
Registered
14 Posts
V8 - unforuntely my hands are to large to make that happen. Only changed it a few times (skipped the filter change once due to the hassle), so I never got good at it. But 30 min, it will take someone close to that to pull the pan and then reinstall. Nice car but in typical German fashion, the engineers get carried away and make things way to complicated. Great highway car for sure but was way to big and heavy for a daily driver for me. However it was a bargin once they came off lease.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
V8 - unforuntely my hands are to large to make that happen. Only changed it a few times (skipped the filter change once due to the hassle), so I never got good at it. But 30 min, it will take someone close to that to pull the pan and then reinstall. Nice car but in typical German fashion, the engineers get carried away and make things way to complicated. Great highway car for sure but was way to big and heavy for a daily driver for me. However it was a bargin once they came off lease.
Yeah, I paid $25k for mine with 40k on the clock. The bottom cover is easy if it's on a lift, only one piece has to come off. I've toyed with the idea of cutting a hole, but decided it wasn't worth it. I skipped last year's oil change because I'd only done a couple of thousand miles during the pandemic, but the reminder light is on again now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I finally cut a hole in my wife's Genesis to get to the oil filter and used a semi-ridged piece of plastic as a cover. Thought about it for years and finally did it about 1 1/2 yr ago. One of the best things I ever did and wonder why I waited so long. Still have to move the rear panel to get to the drain plug but that only takes a few min at best.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I finally cut a hole in my wife's Genesis to get to the oil filter and used a semi-ridged piece of plastic as a cover. Thought about it for years and finally did it about 1 1/2 yr ago. One of the best things I ever did and wonder why I waited so long. Still have to move the rear panel to get to the drain plug but that only takes a few min at best.
Yeah, I did the same thing on the aluminium engine shield on the Porsche.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts