McLaren Life banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the P1 is "simply" using the "same" 3.8L V8 we have in the 12C, they've raised the boost from 2.2 bar to 2.4 bar to get up to 727hp.

Has anyone started working out whether the block in the 12C can handle a boost to 2.3 bar? or all the way up to 2.4? Or are the turbos used in the P1 a very different design (I know they're "new") and the ones in the 12C not up to that kind of a task?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The turbos in the P1 are apparently larger so can easily handle the bump in boost. Not sure if the actual block alloy is different but as far as I know (someone please correct me) the major change to the block is the addition of the hybrid motor mounting.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sadly, the turbos in the MP4 are very conventional, not even twin-scroll (that would work much better with the flat crank) - imagine what these engines could do with a high end turbo, like Porsche installs in the 911 (VNT), than add ball bearings and ceramic turbine wheels :eek: well, cancel that last one, it is too delicate for a daily driver some people might want to use it.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
The press release said:

Petrol engine

The 3.8-litre twin-turbo V8 petrol engine in the McLaren P1™ is a new version of the M838T unit, called M838TQ. It is fitted with an all new pressure charging system to optimise cooling and durability under the higher loads. The engine block has a unique casting, to incorporate the electric motor and also to provide increased stiffness.

The turbochargers are new and run at 2.4 bar (compared to the 12C which runs at 2.2 bar), while the compressor and turbine housing are bespoke to McLaren. As with the 12C and 12C Spider, the turbos are water-cooled and oil lubricated.

The petrol engine on its own produces 737PS (727 bhp) at 7500rpm, and 720Nm of torque from 4000rpm. Naturally, the engine has dry sump lubrication, as on a Formula 1 car, and a low sited flat plane crankshaft – to lower the centre of gravity.
>8^)
ER

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Dry sump in the 12C as well.

>8^)
ER

1 - 6 of 6 Posts