McLaren Life banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We might just have seen the back of the salt snow and muck for a day or two, and although I had decided that this car just HAS to be appreciated ALL year round, I thought it prudent to remove all traces of salt and mud etc before it causes any damage. Obviously this means getting at the suspension, and although my Karcher jet wash does a good job, I wasn't sure if it was good enough, so I had to remove the wheels to look. The answer = it wasn't.
To get the wheels off though, proved a real problem. First the car was too low to get the jack under it, and then where could I safely position the jack? Those were the least of the problems though as McLaren have built this car to stay fully assembled, right down to the wheels. They were torqued up to about 400, and just getting off one wheel (five nuts) broke two of my sockets. Draper nil: Mclaren 2! I thought Draper was good quality! So now I had to go to the local tyre depot and get them to loosen off the nuts, even the mechanic there thought them a bit over tightened! Now to get the wheels off. I pre-jacked the car up a bit with pieces of wood, so I could squeeze the jack under, and felt for some bolts on the chassis so there was a solid place to jack it up. Now bearing in mind that I had already used a jet wash to do the best job possible, there was a lot of debris remaining up at the front of the front wheel arch, AFTER jet washing. Also a lot of debris still on the suspension AFTER jet washing, only fully removed with the wheel off. I reckon the car with the new suspension raise will make this all much easier.
DSC_0296.jpg note completely split!!
DSC01730.jpg still much debris after "blind" washout
DSC01724.jpg
also AFTER my best attempts to clean suspension with wheel still ON.
[/ATTACH] DSC01734.jpg
DSC01726.jpg and suspension now clean!:)

·
Registered
314 Posts
First thing I did was check and re-torque my bolts (95 lb-ft), with a proper torque wrench and socket..

Owners manual, specifies the lift points. Be sure to use a rubber jack pad.

·
Owner
893 Posts
Nice job, m/m/m.
As a side note ...... Does anyone know why we have those 'textile' inner fender wells on the 12C? I don't get it. What's going to happen, on a hot summer day, after you drive over a nice piece of sticky bubble gum! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Nice job, m/m/m.
As a side note ...... Does anyone know why we have those 'textile' inner fender wells on the 12C? I don't get it. What's going to happen, on a hot summer day, after you drive over a nice piece of sticky bubble gum! :rolleyes:
It looks like the same material that I have my Audi A8, I guess it's a sound deaden type material. So when your riding down a dirt road all the stones that enter the wheel well won't be heard, that's my theory and I'm stick with it. I've never had any issues with gum getting stuck in any of my wheel wells, but there could always be a first time, which would require a lot of ice to remove. On that note I'm going to get a cold one. Cheers....??

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andy, I think I'm right that you also do not spare the car in the bad weather, so I reckon it really is worth the effort of taking the wheels off. I am intending to do this once more, when spring comes. Sorry, can't get up your way just now! :D

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Andy, I think I'm right that you also do not spare the car in the bad weather, so I reckon it really is worth the effort of taking the wheels off. I am intending to do this once more, when spring comes. Sorry, can't get up your way just now! :D
Mark,i can wait for you till then :D

No,good idea,i will have to find a weekend when the wife is away;)

·
Registered
964 Posts
I enjoyed adding a bit of salt on mine today. ;)
Currently having a new garage built, so that I may have the space to give the car a good cleaning like this.
I need to order a low height jack though..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts