McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My idle stumbles a little and just wondering if this is normal for this engine design. Not enough that I think the car is going to die, but more than I am used to from my other cars. Made two Youtube vids to better show this. The one where the engine periodically gets over 1k is after about 5 mins of driving and oil temp normal. The second is after 20 mins of driving. After extended driving, idle a little more steady and stays below 1k. Appreciate comments from fellow owners.

http://youtu.be/K19miTeJRqQ

http://youtu.be/2wtZdvIxKHc

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Perfectly normal Thunder,its just character !!! I;m sure its the same as everyone elses,i seem to remember talking about it with the first cars,so I;m glad to say nothing has changed :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Appreciate the piece of mind. Going to dealer tomorrow for 11.0 update and was wondering whether I should mention the idle. Sounds like no need to as it is normal. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Some days mine does the low and lumpy routine, other days its rock steady at around 1000 rpm, and lately it started doing a hunting idle between 900-1200. Regardless of idle, it runs perfectly once moving. I think its to do with ambient temperature and A/C cycling

·
Registered
367 Posts
Opening a door, turning on AC, and entering or leaving neutral all affect idle by design.

Regarding problems/abnormalities, v11 will not help. Per my tech, McLaren is collecting data on idle issues. I would mention it.

Idle of my car is wildly unpredictable, mostly having issues when cold. I'm trying to capture a video to email my dealer. This started immediately after my coolant leak. ? coincidence

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I always make sure all of that stuff is off before or after I stop the car, I've been doing that for years I think it's a little OCD. Cheers....??

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I just don't like how it idles when you select neutral, like when you pull left paddle for 3 seconds. Should not change whether in 1ST or neutral.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Me too. Never start with AC on. I like the process of manually checking things while the oil flows and the exhaust rumbles. Like a Constellation pilot in the 1960s. All those lights and switches need massaging and interrogating.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ergo, I don't have the oil check update so need an update regardless of version. Dealer suggested getting 11, which will include the oil check update.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Oh yeah I see, might as well get it all done. I'll let you know if my idle issue ever gets sorted. I don't mind the moody vibrations but the choking misfires are disturbing

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just don't like how it idles when you select neutral, like when you pull left paddle for 3 seconds. Should not change whether in 1ST or neutral.
Mark, I was going to make a thread on just this. If at a stop light, I sometimes select Neutral due to the car wanting to lunge forward if your foot becomes relaxed on the brake pedal. My car seems to go from around 1k RPM to half of that when put in Neutral. Is this normal?

·
Registered
71 Posts
My car does that as well, so I assume it is normal. Left in first gear at a stop, it isn't lumpy. Put in neutral, it drops the rpm's within a few seconds, and the idle is rougher.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
My car does that as well, so I assume it is normal. Left in first gear at a stop, it isn't lumpy. Put in neutral, it drops the rpm's within a few seconds, and the idle is rougher.
My car does the exact same thing as well which doesn't bother me one bit, I actually like the deeper sound it produces when in neutral. Cheers....??

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Mark, I was going to make a thread on just this. If at a stop light, I sometimes select Neutral due to the car wanting to lunge forward if your foot becomes relaxed on the brake pedal. My car seems to go from around 1k RPM to half of that when put in Neutral. Is this normal?
I have found driving in sport helps the creep issue. Reduce your powertrain setting to the lowest setting. I never put the car in neutral unless I am done driving.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My car does the exact same thing as well which doesn't bother me one bit, I actually like the deeper sound it produces when in neutral. Cheers....??
I have found driving in sport helps the creep issue. Reduce you powertrain setting to the lowest setting. I never put the car in neutral unless I am done driving.
Thanks fellas!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just got my MP4 last week. Noticed same thing, neutral different than when doors open and different than when in gear, etc. Concern is idle drops to 500 or less and feels like it is about to stall. not to mention, any of you hear like rattling when drops so low like something is loose?

2012 McLaren MP4-12C (Carbon Black)
2008 Ferrari Scuderia
2011 LP550-2 -- Gone
2009 LP560-4 -- Gone
2008 Dodge Viper -- Gone​

1 - 20 of 23 Posts