McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To build a supersports car, as far as i am concerned, it was always about being the fastest on race tracks, isn't it, because that's what supersports cars are built for!

Supersports cars are supersports cars because of their extraordinary weight saving technology, brilliant engines, superior aeros, ... to make them fastest on tracks ...

In my opinion there is something really wrong, when supersports car makers are scared to officially publish track times (Nurburgring, Hockenheim, TopGear track, ...) to prevent consumers to bench mark and compare with rivals ...

What for then do supersports car makers build supersports cars, when they dare not present their final achievement, final touch on the cake ...

Porsche did it perfectly again, by communicating official factory track times, despite real owners may never achieve these figures, Porsche did not fear to challenge their tremendous technological advancements with rivals ...

Chapeau Porsche!!! I can only speak for myself, of course, i would never buy a € 1 M pig in a poke!!!

:)

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
More than 350 people so far have enough faith in McLaren's abilities to manufacture the world's best road going track car. That says enough, I think.

It's not for everyone thankfully, or it wouldn't be as special and those who need the flashy headline would probably have been in it for the wrong reasons in the first place.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
As Erik says,i guess you have never driven round the Ring in anger ? I have the utmost confidence that this car will walk over anything else road legal around any other race track where its full potential can be accessed without endangering its driver in the attempt ,and if your opinion of it being a pig in a poke over one track time, then you sir are very very naïve indeed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There were some formula 1 car going on the ring and they have never posted any lap time. They didn't release a lap time even with Schumacher as the pilot. Would I say his car wasn't worth it? I think nobody would.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What about the Veyron 'SS'? certainly fast in a straight line, but no track prominence to speak of, especially any that justifies the price tag

still hasn't stopped (very) wealthy people buying them

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
As Erik says,i guess you have never driven round the Ring in anger ? I have the utmost confidence that this car will walk over anything else road legal around any other race track where its full potential can be accessed without endangering its driver in the attempt ,and if your opinion of it being a pig in a poke over one track time, then you sir are very very naïve indeed.

Plus 1

It is well known that I chose the 918 over the p1 but it was nothing to do with laptimes .the ring is not a normal track . I fully expect the p1 to be a proper weapon around a flatter gp style track . Again these cars are just too close to expect one of them to be faster everywhere .

Huarya I think you are being a little unfair . It is obvious that each car ( p1,918,la fer) will be faster on those tracks that suit their particular characteristics .

There's so much more than lap times to these things anyway .
We all love them for different treasonable .

I congratulate the buyers of any Supercar , for whatever reason they decide to buy them .
They are all super , hence the name :D

Please someone take me for a passenger lap in their p1!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Why do you guys even bother responding to people like this? People like this live in imaginary worlds where all the owners are performance enthusiasts who compare lap times and performance metrics with everything before buying a car.

In reality the vast majority of sales have little to do with any of it. Most of the owners don't even like motorsport.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Only way out for the McLaren P1 - a sub 6.57 ring time!!! Go Chris Go!!!

The F1 circus is all about being fastest on various circuits throughout the year in order to become driver's and constructors world champions, so why should that winning approach no longer be important when it comes to street legal supersports cars, especially when built by a most experienced F1 team player?

Unfortunately its quite telling that McLaren doesn't have the guts to publish the truth, as the P1 obviously was slower against the substantial heavier, technical superior, less costly and eco-friendly-3-liter-Porsche 918 Spyder around Nurburgring, despite McLaren's most promising PR announcements ...

At the end, its not about Nurburgring track times at all, second fastest or third fastest is still a very good thing on this supersports car level, but what is worse is the incapability to communicate the truth, in Formula 1 terms this would have been impossible anyway, cause if your car doesn't perform, you're out, or you need to fix it, so that it does pick up again with your competitors performance, simple as that ...

The same goes for the LaFerrari myth and current Nurburgring testing, there is rumors that Ferrari still fights with busting tires, as it seems that their "brilliant" drive train even outperforms its own tires ... again the LaFerrari must be tremendously fast - on paper ...

Mclaren lost big time here, i am afraid, the only way out for McLaren is, in order to prevent a real P1(R) disaster, to provide a brilliant official ring time - sub 6:57!!!

Go Chris Go and no excuses, please, i know you can do it, if you really, really want, otherwise give your baby to most capable hands of german locals like Marc "Nurburgringer" Lieb, Timo "Hot Lap" Glock or even Sebastian "Master Driver" Loeb, yeah why not Sebastian Loeb, for P1's sake!!!

If bankrupt Peugeot was able to hire Loeb to evaporate the Pikes Peak record, then McLaren even more so should take him to the next level to burn an out of this world sub 6:57 into the ring ...

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Thanks, very kind of you, but it was Timo Kluck doing some of the hot laps in the 918, not Timo Glock. Don't worry, you just had a few letters wrong. Better do your homework next time ;)
And it was such an eloquent rant, too. Shame he blew it on the last line. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, very kind of you, but it was Timo Kluck doing some of the hot laps in the 918, not Timo Glock. Don't worry, you just had a few letters wrong. Better do your homework next time ;)
Talking about homework, bro, i am pretty sure McLaren chooses either one of 'em and be done in mastering a sub 6:57 time around Nurburgring ...

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
I'm buying the P1 regardless of whether they ever release a ring time or not and I'm going to enjoy the heck out of it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm buying the P1 regardless of whether they ever release a ring time or not and I'm going to enjoy the heck out of it.
Of course, if you go for the looks only, you couldn't care less, there is even many other exotic cars for you outthere, like the Aston one-77, Lambo Veneno ... I just never thought that a true McLaren enthusiast would talk that way ... I always thought McLaren is one of the last supersports car maker that puts performance above fancy looks, if its true what you're saying, then the P1 was designed by Ron's hot air only ...

·
Registered
194 Posts
no, because he realizes the P1 is a great car to drive hard, and if McLaren doesn't end up stating a definitive Nurbürgring time, it matters nought in the real world

·
Administrator
2,745 Posts
More than 350 people so far have enough faith in McLaren's abilities to manufacture the world's best road going track car. That says enough, I think.

It's not for everyone thankfully, or it wouldn't be as special and those who need the flashy headline would probably have been in it for the wrong reasons in the first place.

>8^)
ER
Last car like this that McLaren built was the F1. It was not designed to be a race car and they never intended to race it. In fact initially the factory was completely against it. Then they finally relented and went to LeMans ......and won.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts