McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had load's of high end cars and have always dreamed about the next one up. Thing is, where does one go from here… I know you've got the billionaire specials P1 etc etc but I can think of far better things to spend a lot less cash on, Cirrus SR22T for one :D
Not interested in Ferrari's or Lambo's, played with Italian engineering before (Ducati) and was not impressed…
I guess I'm done… Love driving the Macca, every journey is a special event, top of the pile IMHO a definite keeper :D

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
You've landed yourself on a common dilemma. For me, the 12C does so much, so well, that it has systematically shaved my wish list down from many cars to a scant handful. If I start flying again, an SR22T is definitely still on that list. So is the Praga R1, if you are in the mood for a dedicated track toy. A lot of ethos in common with both McLaren and Cirrus, actually.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Agreed Mr. Loudly. Best bang for buck goes to the Corvette.

However, if there's such a thing as best bang for buck super car, it's got to be the Mac. It's near hyper car levels of performance. Pussy cat to drive every day. Maintenance costs, relatively, on the lower end.

A lot to like.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
6th, I saw a praga at monticello last week. Really pretty thing. The aero is insane. There's basically a huge plank of composite on the bottom of the thing.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
6th, I saw a praga at monticello last week. Really pretty thing. The aero is insane. There's basically a huge plank of composite on the bottom of the thing.
If it was the blue one, chassis #001, that is the same car I drove. 1300 lb weight with 1900 lbs of downforce. Quite fun.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Does it belong to the track, or just one of the members?

That's a crazy stat. The 10yo me, always thought it would be cool to have an extended loop-de-loop track. Basically a twist where the road turns upside down, and you could take a car like that, at speed, and drive upside down for an extended period of time as the down force should be enough to keep it stuck to the track upside down. You'd have to keep on the gas or risk falling on your head. :)

At some point I want to take out one of the radicals. How do they compare?

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Does it belong to the track, or just one of the members?

That's a crazy stat. The 10yo me, always thought it would be cool to have an extended loop-de-loop track. Basically a twist where the road turns upside down, and you could take a car like that, at speed, and drive upside down for an extended period of time as the down force should be enough to keep it stuck to the track upside down. You'd have to keep on the gas or risk falling on your head. :)

At some point I want to take out one of the radicals. How do they compare?
The R1 is on loan directly from Praga. They are trying to drum up interest for the car in the U.S. and therefore MMC members can test drive it. Re: the Radical, depends which one you drive - the SR3 I rented from MMC was on DOT approved tires, not slicks and didn't have all the aero goodies on some of the higher end Radicals, not to mention power. So, it really wasn't a match for the Praga. A Radical SR8 on slicks, for example, would be a different story. Apparently Praga has a 350 PS turbo variant in the works, however.

What the Praga really has going for it, IMO, is the carbon monocoque construction and just the overall experience. When you get seated in the carbon shell, your feet are higher than your butt, like a LM prototype or F1 race car, your master and aux switchgear is on a panel above your head, onboard computer screen integrated into the steering wheel, etc. You can even order it with a single seat, in the middle. Very racy and unique feeling. I love the open cockpit of the Radical, too, though. Like a little CAN AM racer. Until it rains! :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Live on a small holding so have a Tanarg in the barn ;-) Hassle free and awesome fun but bl..dy cold in Winter. Cool way to fly though :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Wow, truly up above the clouds.........no Sunday drivers.........great sense of isolation in that picture.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have a Pilatus PC-12 to go with the 12C... almost meant to go together!

While I am loving my recent F12, every time I get back in the 12C, I am reminded of how great the handling and steering is. Feels comfortable, familiar and easy to drive fast.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Home sweet home :D

The house nearest the camera. just over 10 acres. The landing strip is 300 yards long, probably struggle getting the Pilatus back in :D Proper toy there Sir!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts