McLaren Life banner

i picked this up yesterday

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  cyril@lariniusa 
#1 ·
So I picked up my spider yesterday from SF and drove down the 500 miles to San Diego.
Car is great, extremely comfortable and fast but I did encounter a couple of issues while on the way. driving in the 105 degree heat for several hours caused the the plastic window trim on both upper corners to lift up and start flapping in the wind. so i had to stop at a gas station and get some tape. I eventually had to replace the upper portion of the double sided tape when i got home. dealer sounded like he has seen this often before.
couple hundred miles later with the top closed, i get an error: "rear tonneau interior release switch fault". the error kept going away and coming back the whole trip. dealer said to reset the car with locking etc, but its still doing this today randomly. has anyone with a spider encountered this error before?
otherwise, im very happy with the car. I thought a black mclaren would generate less interest than a red ferrari, but boy was i wrong. this thing is causing a stir wherever i take it and people roam and hover around it wondering what the heck it is, love it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats! And that sucks! Really not acceptable. Unfortunately it's not unheard of. It's a good thing to "burn in" the car for a bit. Keep a list of issues, and then drop it back to the dealer to fix the litany.

BTW, did you get this at the palo alto dealer (off el camino)? I may have been sitting in that car about a month ago. :)

Hope it smooths out for you and welcome to the club!

#4 ·
Congratulations!

I thought the same about my 16M vs the Mclaren and it would sneak under the radar especially in St Louis. I can't go anywhere without camera phones snapping at will.

Beautiful Spider - the trim issue seems to be common - the factory / dealer should make more of an effort to catch the known simple things.

MP4's are ridiculously fast and smooth - the best part is entering and exiting corners :)

Enjoy!

#7 ·
Congrats Al! She's a beauty! I had the same issue you did too! I just used some double sided tape to fix it but probably will switch to clear silicon if it starts flapping around again. I haven't seen the "switch" issue on mine yet *knock on wood* but I did see a "steering fluid low" message but when I checked that it was fine. I haven't seen it since then. :(

Ah the electronic "gremlins" still haunts British cars. :( Hopefully you don't have any other issues! Enjoy the car! Alessandro is awesome isn't he!

#14 ·
German electronics...

and Webasto Spider roof. Just as the Porsche Boxter and Ferrari 458 Italia. Even though this a brand new car company, one should not accept such faults on a superb vehicle as McLaren! McLaren will take care of these issues, take my word for it! But yes as a new owner it's not much fun to hear about this sort of issues or problems!

#10 ·
Typical San Francisco. I have not been happy with the quality control checks from that Dealer either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.