McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I am trying to remove my stock engine panels so I can replace with CF engine panels.

I removed all of the bolts and thought the panels would simply lift out. But no such luck!!!

Is there any trick to wiggling/wedging these little bastards out???? Do I need to remove the engine lid struts and bottom retaining bolt to create a little extra clearance?

I'm halfway into my project and hell bent on finishing, so any helpful advice would be most appreciated!

Wolf

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply as always Andy.

Regrettably I'm not even trying something as bold as removing the rear decklid/armadillo!!

I am simply trying to get out the two panels on either side of the engine compartment. They are each held in by about 6 blots, but once removed the damn piece doesn't have enough clearance to wiggle out without force.

Usually, when I apply force very bad things happen. Very bad and EXPENSIVE things in the case of the Mac!!!!

I'm still all ears if anybody has advice for me!!!! Thx to all.

Wolf

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Ok,most Mclaren techs at the service centres are very helpful,if they know you are still servcing the car with them,its worth a try,im sure they will help with a little advise

·
Registered
312 Posts
You are right - very bad things happen when applying force to them - been there, done that :mad:

You have to remove the coolant expansion tank and the glass latch struts - no way around it, and even than it takes a lot of wiggeling. BTW, the tank bolts do not need to come off completely, it has 'legs' with slotted bolt holes, but it is a bitch to get to them.....LMTY!

Thanks for the quick reply as always Andy.

Regrettably I'm not even trying something as bold as removing the rear decklid/armadillo!!

I am simply trying to get out the two panels on either side of the engine compartment. They are each held in by about 6 blots, but once removed the damn piece doesn't have enough clearance to wiggle out without force.

Usually, when I apply force very bad things happen. Very bad and EXPENSIVE things in the case of the Mac!!!!

I'm still all ears if anybody has advice for me!!!! Thx to all.

Wolf

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Wolf, have you undone the single clip on each side that connects the engine panels to the rear deck lid - you can just pull up firmly on those - if you have done that then have you undone the coolant reservoir? I suspect not - this needs you to to have the two bolts at the front removed and then the tricky rear bolt just undone ( not removed ) - access it through the rubber pipework - and undo it just enough to lift the coolant reservoir up so that it can be twisted - this allows the engine panels to slide by. Make sure you tape up the rear deck lid so the large front clips do not scratch it. On the drivers side you also need to remove the clip connecting the throttle body to the engine - its one screw - that can then be pushed down to et the clearance you seek. I think these couple of extras will do the trick. And post some pics of your panels please - best of luck Ian

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I'm a big wuss!!!!

You guys have told me enough that I will simply take the car in and have a tech do it. I'm one of the lucky owners who has a McLaren dealer 5 miles from my office.

Thanks to all for the input!!!

Wolf

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Hi Wolf, have you undone the single clip on each side that connects the engine panels to the rear deck lid - you can just pull up firmly on those - if you have done that then have you undone the coolant reservoir? I suspect not - this needs you to to have the two bolts at the front removed and then the tricky rear bolt just undone ( not removed ) - access it through the rubber pipework - and undo it just enough to lift the coolant reservoir up so that it can be twisted - this allows the engine panels to slide by. Make sure you tape up the rear deck lid so the large front clips do not scratch it. On the drivers side you also need to remove the clip connecting the throttle body to the engine - its one screw - that can then be pushed down to et the clearance you seek. I think these couple of extras will do the trick. And post some pics of your panels please - best of luck Ian
Love It !!!!! its great tinkering,but sometimes I just think WHY,my time is better spent earning money at what im good at to pay the guys at what they are good at :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Its just an excuse to spend more time with the car........... :D

Love It !!!!! its great tinkering,but sometimes I just think WHY,my time is better spent earning money at what im good at to pay the guys at what they are good at :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wolf, are your CF engine panels MSO or aftermarket - if the later could you send a link - many thanks Ian
Ian, I am doing a core exchange of my non CF engine panels, for CF engine panels, so I don't have CF panels yet.

My car has just about every CF option offered EXCEPT the friggin engine panels and it kills me when I look through the engine lid. Gotta add those CF panels then my car will be a 10!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts