McLaren Life banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
i do get a weird tight feell to my steering from time to time...it feels like a lane keep on a newer car...feels stiff for a split second when I am trying to steer and then goes away instantly...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yes, open the cap, level is at the filler neck
Stiffness could be accumulators going bad but even when new, some can feel like that.

·
Registered
328 Posts
There is a reservoir on the passenger side (its got a steering wheel symbol on it i believe). Aircon and coolant are most suspect. You should be able to see the lower radiator hose from the frunk.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Can anyone tell me how I can remove the panels under the car between the front two tires? Are those flat panels removable?

·
Owner
745 Posts
Arabian, "been there, done that". No, taking off the panels between the tires will not give you the access you want. (You will see a beautiful large portion of the raw CF chassis of the car -- but no access to behind the wiper tank!)
I DID have a leak behind the windshield wiper tank in my 12C -- POS to get to. Took mechanics several hours, and wiper tank had to be removed. Very difficult spot to get to; no access from bottom of car either.
(Then in my case, constant leaks turned out to be pressure from the cracked head sending coolant out of the cylinder(s) and into the coolant chamber -- but enough of that nightmare!)

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Arabian, "been there, done that". No, taking off the panels between the tires will not give you the access you want. (You will see a beautiful large portion of the raw CF chassis of the car -- but no access to behind the wiper tank!)
I DID have a leak behind the windshield wiper tank in my 12C -- POS to get to. Took mechanics several hours, and wiper tank had to be removed. Very difficult spot to get to; no access from bottom of car either.
(Then in my case, constant leaks turned out to be pressure from the cracked head sending coolant out of the cylinder(s) and into the coolant chamber -- but enough of that nightmare!)
what was leaking behind your washer fluid tank? I think that’s the exact spot mine is leaking from.

·
Owner
745 Posts
Coolant line connection. I have a 570 now, so don't remember the exact reason for coolant line there, I believe it divided at that point behind the wiper tank, and then traveled to both smaller radiators up front. It took two different mechanic shops, over several visits to finally get to the connection. We left the battery alone b/c I did not want issues with battery disconnect; but we had to remove the windshield wiper fluid tank. When we did that, could finally see the connection where it was leaking.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Coolant line connection. I have a 570 now, so don't remember the exact reason for coolant line there, I believe it divided at that point behind the wiper tank, and then traveled to both smaller radiators up front. It took two different mechanic shops, over several visits to finally get to the connection. We left the battery alone b/c I did not want issues with battery disconnect; but we had to remove the windshield wiper fluid tank. When we did that, could finally see the connection where it was leaking.
One last question (while I hold my breath). Was the leak up front caused by a cracked head??? (breathing heavy as I type lol)

·
Owner
745 Posts
In my case, yes, all leaks were caused by the cracked head pumping exhaust gases into the coolant chamber through the crack. But I gather from these forums that most leaks are just poor clamps. Only tell-tale signs for me were: 2012 early build -- never leaked from hoses. Then suddenly at appr. 25,000 miles, car suddenly started springing water leaks every week -- every week from a different connection. THEN white smoke coming from exhaust on start-up. Car would run fine and smoke would burn off. So all you can do is fix your clamps, and hope you never see thick white smoke on start-up.

·
Registered
328 Posts
mclaren publishes a procedure to check for coolant leaks, why not just follow the procedure? its quick, easy and you don't have to disassemble anything. You put a cap on the coolant res and vacuum/pressurize the system and see if the pressure changes over time. Takes 15minutes

Out of all the fluids in that area a leak in the coolant system has a potential to develop air pockets which will lead to hot spots and might potentially result in a failure like the one in markj's case. Although his seems to have a different root cause.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
and the culprit was....NOTHING...just condensation...it looks like the ac conden plug was kind gritty and clogged. Cleared that out, had the mechanic inspect it with AC on and off etc. Tasted the leak, said it was water...lol.

·
Vendor
189 Posts
and the culprit was....NOTHING...just condensation...it looks like the ac conden plug was kind gritty and clogged. Cleared that out, had the mechanic inspect it with AC on and off etc. Tasted the leak, said it was water...lol.
Cool. (Lol)

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Go get a vacuum bleeder or pressure tester, its like 60$ at HF. The #6 cap fits our cars. You can just pressurize the system and see if there is a leak that way. The lower hoses on the front radiators are prone to leaking.
can you tell me the procedure or give me a link? I rented this today and will do the procedure for peace of mind. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Update!!! I put the coolant pressure tester on, set it to 15psi and 5 min later massive leave. Drivers side rear tire area. Appears to be a radiator right above it behind the scoops. Pics below...

how can I get access to look?

·
Registered
328 Posts
its the lower radiator clamps, they always leak... just take the pans off, they are easy to access. You should do the upper ones as well and the front ones. Its a common issue.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Al
its the lower radiator clamps, they always leak... just take the pans off, they are easy to access. You should do the upper ones as well and the front ones. Its a common issue.
I've never taken the pans off...I would assume just remove the bolts on both sides? Anything I need to be aware of? Thanks!

41 - 60 of 77 Posts