McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Its aircon condensation. There are no clear fluids in the car, they all have colour. There is drain at the front.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Would I still get that without turning on the hvac at all today? I made sure it stayed off and still got that puddle.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If it's slimy it's likely coolant. Put a white paper towel on it and see if it really is clear. Coolant will dry on the garage floor as well.

·
Registered
411 Posts
i believe Mclaren uses Glysantin G48 coolant which is a blue/green color.
If any of this leaks it will NOT be clear

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I now believe it is coolant...i checked my coolant level and had to add about half a quart to get it topped off.

Are there any coolant lines in that area by the front tires? Under the cover? How hard is the cover removal to inspect the lines?

Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
i believe Mclaren uses Glysantin G48 coolant which is a blue/green color.
If any of this leaks it will NOT be clear

When I had a leak, the fluid appeared clear on the garage floor (I do have a dark colored epoxy coated floor), so in order to be certain, I put white napkins down, and low and behold a greenish bluish color however very slight. I pulled the frunk liner and the offending clamp was immediately apparent.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I now believe it is coolant...i checked my coolant level and had to add about half a quart to get it topped off.

Are there any coolant lines in that area by the front tires? Under the cover? How hard is the cover removal to inspect the lines?

Thanks!
Open your frunk, gently pull up on the smooth plastic rubbery trip piece that surrounds the frunk, and then remove the screws around and in the frunk.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks! Got it off. Definetly not leaking while It’s running. Really tough to see all the hoses behind washer reservoir which I believe is the location.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
When I had a leak, the fluid appeared clear on the garage floor (I do have a dark colored epoxy coated floor), so in order to be certain, I put white napkins down, and low and behold a greenish bluish color however very slight. I pulled the frunk liner and the offending clamp was immediately apparent.
can you tell me which clamp on yours was the culprit?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Go get a vacuum bleeder or pressure tester, its like 60$ at HF. The #6 cap fits our cars. You can just pressurize the system and see if there is a leak that way. The lower hoses on the front radiators are prone to leaking.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ok. There’s this rubber drain plug (I think) under my car. Center between the two front tires. It was really wet on there. I pulled this rubber plug from the inside of it and it’s wet.
Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
if it was leaking condenser drain, would that feel slightly slimy with no smell? i can't see any hoses leaking? Just wondering if I should button this up and keep an eye on the coolant now that I know it is full.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yep, it's probably condensation... I would still pressurize the coolant system and see if you have leaks. It's a simple easy test and you will need the vacuum fill tool anyway to change the coolant down the line. There is so many hoses on these cars and introducing air pockets isn't great... these cars don't self bleed well.

BTW If John thinks it's condensation, it's probably condensation. The man has significantly more experience than any of us.

·
Premium Member
VR 675LTS
115 Posts
Two thoughts and not from experience but from what you have described.

1.) Could there be a leak/crack in your windshield wiper fluid reservoir? 2.) Are the batteries completely maintenance free? Could it be coming from the battery "vent tube" if there is one?

·
Vendor
189 Posts
if it was leaking condenser drain, would that feel slightly slimy with no smell? i can't see any hoses leaking? Just wondering if I should button this up and keep an eye on the coolant now that I know it is full.
In, aircon would be just water, maybe a slight haze but not greasy or oily at all.

The position you're describing could be windscreen washer, coolant or hydraulic fluid, they are all there as well I'm afraid .

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Brake fluid is full, washer fluid is full....hydraulic fluid possibly...is there a way to check the fluid level on that?

21 - 40 of 77 Posts