McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can’t tell what kind of fluid it is but it’s coming from in between the front tires. It’s clear fluid without much of a smell. Here are some pics...

Any guesses on what I need to be looking for?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Most likely coolant from the front radiators, pull the bumper tray and inspect the hose clamps and end tanks on the radiators. Alternatively windshield washer fluid? or hydraulic fluid for the susp(less likely).

What color is it? coolant is blue, as is washer fluid(smells different though), hydraulic fluid is dark green (chf202).

The hoses are notorious on these cars, i just went through and replaced a ton of clamps on mine. All the radiator ones leaked. I know your local, you're welcome to borrow my tool/clamps.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most likely coolant from the front radiators, pull the bumper tray and inspect the hose clamps and end tanks on the radiators. Alternatively windshield washer fluid? or hydraulic fluid for the susp(less likely).

What color is it? coolant is blue, as is washer fluid(smells different though), hydraulic fluid is dark green (chf202).

The hoses are notorious on these cars, i just went through and replaced a ton of clamps on mine. All the radiator ones leaked. I know your local, you're welcome to borrow my tool/clamps.
the fluid is clear with no smell.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's a lot of fluid based on the pics you posted, check the levels. There is no fluid in our cars that is clear and has no smell, its probably just really small qualities you are looking at which is why you can't see the color. How slippery is the fluid if you rub it in between your finger tips?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm not that familiar with the locations of things on my car yet, but could it just be condensation from the AC? I mean, it looks an awful lot like water. Water puddles under cars is actually quite common and much less of a worry. :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
As mentioned above, no water is used for fluid in your car.
If the fluid is truly clear and is water likely condensation.
Yesterday after my drive I had a puddle in the same location, clear, no smell, consistency of water.....condensation

·
Registered
70 Posts
Oil products are nonpolar. Nonoil products(water) are polar. Sugar melts with polar products like water and water based products. Nonpolar products do not. If you can take small amout of sugar and mix it with the liquid, and it melts then it is a polar product. With nonpolar products, the sugar will not melt. I think your major concern would be if the leak is nonpolar.. I had my mechanic "look under the hoop" leak was from a loose radiator hose. He said there are a lot of hoses in there.

Hope that makes sense

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. It’s clear and slightly slimy. The power steering is full and so is my coolant.

I will try the sugar. Lol.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't know gang......but, it sounds like water ......if it is dry by AM. I couldn't stand it........I would have to have it evaluated by a mechanic

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ya taste test is good. Sweet is coolant, smells like maple syrup too. Would be obvious to determine if it's that or water

1 - 20 of 77 Posts