McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase my first supercar and I am looking for some help defining some of the elements that will make for the best choice. I am only considering spiders.

I took my first pass at trying to score these elements 1-10 and then assigned weighting of 1-5. I understand these things are subjective but I would be interested in other's "opinions".

Thanks

Attachments

·
2012 MP4-12C
607 Posts
Seeing as you are buying a multi-hundred thousand dollar supercar, I would suggest not trying to engineer your way to the best decision. Optimal on paper often is meaningless with these types of cars. You should go drive them and see what tickles your senses the most.

IMHO, a few items on your list are silly/irrelevant. A great example is Apple CarPlay. That should be SOOOO far down the list compared to driving feel and experience. That's where the R&D money on these cars goes into...certainly not the infotainment system!

Lastly, do not underestimate the value of the carbon tub. McLaren is the one one with it, and it is truly something that sets the brand apart from others in the segment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks nordstat,

You are right that Apple CarPlay is low on the list compared to performance. I should note that I would expect each of these vehicles to perform very well so all of these other things are very nit-picky.

In addition you bring up a good point about the carbon tub that I hadn't thought about. I noted that I seen comments about how high the door sill is. Is this really an issue for getting in and out or does Doug DeMuro just make it look much awkward than it really is?

Do you think the 500 spider limit will protect the value of 675's?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I will help you as I owned a 650s spider and currently own a 675LT spider.
For everything but cost:
675lt = 1
650s = 2

Cost:
650s = 1
675lt = 2

Nothing else matters.

Reactions: andy c and Kamran

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thats some list! Wheeeeew! Unless you're old or crippled, you won't worry with ease of entry. The effort is worth it. Crawl in the cockpit of any warbird, "ease of entry" was not a priority, performance was. You won't remember the gymnastic moves getting in, but you will remember the thrill when the throttle is firewalled.

·
2012 MP4-12C
607 Posts
Thanks nordstat,

You are right that Apple CarPlay is low on the list compared to performance. I should note that I would expect each of these vehicles to perform very well so all of these other things are very nit-picky.

In addition you bring up a good point about the carbon tub that I hadn't thought about. I noted that I seen comments about how high the door sill is. Is this really an issue for getting in and out or does Doug DeMuro just make it look much awkward than it really is?

Anything with 675 in the name will hold value if you keep miles off of it. These cars are meant to be driven, and if you are worried about value and cars as collectors pieces, the 675 is not for you IMHO. A 650 offers almost as much as the 675 with more street manners and, if purchased used, should depreciate slower with miles than a 675.

I have a 12C, which is 98% of a 650 (my opinion after driving both). That saved me about $85k at time of purchase (May '16). I have had no regrets, prefer the 12C styling (subjective), and at 6'3" and 195 lbs have no issue smoothly sliding in and out of the car. Just takes a bit of practice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again nordstat!

Since I would like to track this vehicle I had been considering the 12C knowing I can get one for between $150-180k. I can get a 650 for under $250k so the value is there knowing either would be an amazing vehicle to drive. I know the 675 has the built in track option but given I can get a VBOX system for a few grand for track days, that alone doesn't justify the over $400k price tag. In addition, it sounds like you believe the current 650 prices should be near bottom at $75-100k below msrp. If I am going to drive this vehicle a lot I just didn't want to take a bath when the next big thing comes out I want to upgrade to, (post 720).

I appreciate all of the input so far. Up to this point I have only driven a Mercedes AMG SUV and done launch control on a tesla in ludicrous mode. When I felt the acceleration even it was an electric car, I knew had been bitten with the supercar bug. The only issue was not having the knowledge of where to spend a large amount of money. Part of me felt like I should be gradual with the choice, like get a z06 first and learn the supercar ways. After the input so far though, it seems more and more like the 650 is the choice.

Thanks

·
2012 MP4-12C
607 Posts
I would not say the 650 is near bottom. McLaren SF had a volcano orange coupe with good options and about 10k miles for well under $200k not too long ago. I think the 650 spiders will be in the low 200's soon after the 720 hits the market at large. If depreciation is your concern, go 12C. They are at bottom and, if anything, good ones are on the rebound. I really don't feel 650's are there yet.

You should do what many do: drive a 12C and a 650. See for yourself if you think the extra $70-90k is justified in the newer vehicle. Since you can extend warranty for a decade on these cars, that is a non-issue. All comes down to driver experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't know about the extended warranty option, that is awesome peace of mind considering the remarks people made of reliability concerns of the 12c. Does it matter if it is McLaren Qualified or not?

·
2012 MP4-12C
607 Posts
I didn't know about the extended warranty option, that is awesome peace of mind considering the remarks people made of reliability concerns of the 12c. Does it matter if it is McLaren Qualified or not?
You need to get it qualified before the warranty can be added. If you're lucky, an annual service can count as the qualification.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See this is the real world knowledge you only get from owners. Thanks guys for all the input. Glad I joined the site and look forward to the day I can finally post what I end up getting!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am about to purchase my first supercar and I am looking for some help defining some of the elements that will make for the best choice. I am only considering spiders.

I took my first pass at trying to score these elements 1-10 and then assigned weighting of 1-5. I understand these things are subjective but I would be interested in other's "opinions".

Thanks
I thought I was the only one that put spreadsheets together and weighted my choices! :nerd: good luck with your choice...

LT if you want an track focused car and an experience like no other (unless you have the dough for a P1. The sounds, steering rack and road feel are (in my opinion unmatched). If your significant other will be riding quite often and you want something with a little more compliant ride that can manage speed bumps and driveways a little easier the 650 will be your choice. The buckets in the 675 are a little more difficult to get in and out of for most of the ladies. Big money difference though - objectively I'd probably go 650s - the prices are down - 675LT are still up.

However, if you're truly considering the LT and cam spend the money you will likely be kicking yourself for choosing the 650. Everyday you'll ask yourself I should have or I could have and NEVER really got to experience the LT. You'll always wonder!

Hopefully I confused you more!;)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks nordstat,

All the other cars will come off your list once you experience the carbon tub not to mention the safety aspects! Super easy to get in once you understand the approach.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't believe Issues are as bad as people say - I've had zero issues! But it is clear others are in a different position. However, I would purchase the warranty though primarily because service and parts are only available via dealers at this time which seems to push the prices up a bit.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks again nordstat!

Since I would like to track this vehicle I had been considering the 12C knowing I can get one for between $150-180k. I can get a 650 for under $250k so the value is there knowing either would be an amazing vehicle to drive. I know the 675 has the built in track option but given I can get a VBOX system for a few grand for track days, that alone doesn't justify the over $400k price tag. In addition, it sounds like you believe the current 650 prices should be near bottom at $75-100k below msrp. If I am going to drive this vehicle a lot I just didn't want to take a bath when the next big thing comes out I want to upgrade to, (post 720).

I appreciate all of the input so far. Up to this point I have only driven a Mercedes AMG SUV and done launch control on a tesla in ludicrous mode. When I felt the acceleration even it was an electric car, I knew had been bitten with the supercar bug. The only issue was not having the knowledge of where to spend a large amount of money. Part of me felt like I should be gradual with the choice, like get a z06 first and learn the supercar ways. After the input so far though, it seems more and more like the 650 is the choice.

Thanks

You are in a similar spot I was...I had never owned sports car let alone a super car. Saved for 8 years to buy a 911 Turbo S. Test drove and didn't feel like I had "an experience". Looked at the Fcars (didn't like the attitude) Ned they're all over the place per se.

Didn't even know McLaren was building cars but knew they were an advanced engineering and forward thinking F1 race team. Their technology is so far advanced! The fact that they have banned F1 technology in the road cars (because it was considered a disadvantage to other race teams years ago) along with the fact that they are now driving change via pure cutting edge design and engineering in the super car industry is something I can't get enough of.

Upon my Internet finding of their road cars I went and Drove the 650s and never looked back. I found that experience! Every time I get in its a pure treat! Shortly after I added the LT and couldn't believe the difference! I can never get enough seat time in either. So quit messing around - skip the vette and jump in with two feet. Everybody has seen the Porsche, Fcar, vette, etc. I saw you had looks on your list - take your Mac and park it near the Fcars at cars and coffee...walk away and see where the crowd draws! Then drive it and you'll wonder why you wasted the two hours at cars and coffee that you could of spent on a backroad!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow thanks for the insight 17bhub! I have to say I did laugh out loud several times when I read your post. I would like to take my wife from time to time in dinner in it. When we test drove the Model X for a possible family vehicle it was one of the best experiences to see my wife swear and scream after trying launch control. She said it literally made her sick to her stomach.

Most likely I won't be launching much with her in the vehicle but I will enjoy revving when the light turns green and she is in the car. The true joy will be for me. I live in FL so there aren't a ton of windy roads like you see in CA but I do have plans of going to performance driving classes and learning how to properly drive it on the track. Based on your dive in heads first comment it sounds like you believe I will be most rewarded just going for it with the 675. I will never know how much better it is than the 650 or 12c, but I think I am ok with that. I am the type of person when I decide to do something, I want to do it right!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Wow thanks for the insight 17bhub! I have to say I did laugh out loud several times when I read your post. I would like to take my wife from time to time in dinner in it. When we test drove the Model X for a possible family vehicle it was one of the best experiences to see my wife swear and scream after trying launch control. She said it literally made her sick to her stomach.

Most likely I won't be launching much with her in the vehicle but I will enjoy revving when the light turns green and she is in the car. The true joy will be for me. I live in FL so there aren't a ton of windy roads like you see in CA but I do have plans of going to performance driving classes and learning how to properly drive it on the track. Based on your dive in heads first comment it sounds like you believe I will be most rewarded just going for it with the 675. I will never know how much better it is than the 650 or 12c, but I think I am ok with that. I am the type of person when I decide to do something, I want to do it right!
if your doing it right Oshan..then don't Rev it..
:)

·
Registered
349 Posts
there's no one "right" answer-- you have to drive the cars yourself and see which experience makes you smile the most.

i've spent time with a 488, Huracan, Aston GT12 and tons of P-cars. my 650S is right for me for all sorts of reasons that may not apply to you.

having said that, i'm afraid to ever experience a 675LT because i'm sure if i do, i'll lose sleep thinking about why i couldnt' have just stretched to get an LT in the first place! LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hesperus its funny that you say that because I keep thinking about how far I want to "stretch the budget". The part of the equation I haven't meantioned because this purchase is the most important, is the other vehicles I am considering for other purposes. I am looking to buy 3 vehicles, this car, a business/daily driver, family vehicle. Ideally I would like to stick to $530-560k. If I get the 12c there is enough room in the budget for a Bentayga for the daily and GLS 550 for the family vehicle (3 kids 3 and under). If I shell out $400-460k for an LT spider that blows up my budget. Technically that would still leave $100k for the GLS which could pull double duty as family/ daily driver but if I am going to have clients riding with me, dirty car seats probably won't leave the best impression. I don't need a $260k SUV but I like the complete package it offers from a comfort, performance, and tech perspective. Obviously good problems to have but when you are spending this kind of money it doen't hurt to get input from the people who have already dealt with the same considerations.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Best SUV for the money in my opinion - Cayenne GTS. Buy a 1-2 year old one - you'll be in under a $100k pretty easily. Buy new maybe $125k. Or maybe a Rover if you want something a little less sporty. I'm not a big fan of the Bentayga but I may be odd man out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts