McLaren Life banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received this in my e-mail from the Hennessey mailing list. Well John Hennessey has managed to make a 458 match the performance of a 12c - all it took was twin turbos and 738 hp to the "tune" of $60k...

My favorite line:
"Why spend $59,995 on adding something that, based on all known rationality, doesn't need adding?

The answer's simple: Because it makes you feel alive."

Funny how a reviewer implies you will not feel alive in a stock 458.... Now I'm really confused, I thought that was the standard line for the 12c. Now that a 458 can run the same numbers as a 12c it suddenly becomes alive....reviewers..... Bunch of crawfish in my book!!!

Yahoo Autos Drives the Hennessey458 Twin Turbo

The Ferrari 458: Anemotional roller coaster, brimming with eccentricity, brought to earth as oneof the finest supercars the Prancing Horse has ever delivered. Its capriciouscharacter keeps the driver honest, and its effervescent personality enthralls.So why would you ruin it by adding more power?

That's the question I soughtto answer last week in Pebble Beach, as John Hennessey and his HennesseyPerformance revealed his latest creation - a 738-hp, twin-turbo Ferrari458.

Keen enthusiasts willrecognize the Hennessey name, as he offers performance upgrades for practicallyevery vehicle on the market - even a Ford Taurus. In recent months, thecompany's claim to fame has been its Venom GT, partially based on a Lotus, andarguably (if you ask Hennessey himself) the fastest road car in the world.

I'm not opposed to insanetuning, like with the Venom GT. In fact, I welcome it. But adding power toa Ferrari 458 seems, well, pointless. To me, tuner cars should be NissanGT-Rs and Cadillac CTS-Vs-all of which Hennessey tunes to great acclaim.Both, admittedly, needn't be touched, but for those that want the ultimate inperformance, cars like these offer the perfect platform. Messing with a Ferrarifeels like sending your dish back to Thomas Keller for not having enough spice;surely Ferrari's chefs know what's best for their creation.

So what about this Ferrari?Would an owner having just shelled out close to $300,000 on a shiny Italiansupercar really have it tuned?

By simply adding two turbos,each with a mild seven psi of boost, power from the 4.5-liter V-8 rockets from562 hp to 738 hp. Other than some cooling work and a reflash of the Ferraricomputer controls, that's all Hennessey has done. (Oh, and added some customblack wheels.) There are no suspension tweaks, no ride height adjustments, nobraking upgrades, nothing. It's just more raw power.

I fired the engine, readyingfor my drive. It didn't rattle. It didn't clatter. It's like my wife's mashedpotatoes, perfectly creamy and without lumps. (Most of the time.)

Heading onto the roadsaround Pebble Beach, even the noise at idle stunned. Ferraris always soundsymphonic, yet the whistle from the turbos adds a visceral character. And thefirst time I laid into the throttle, the thought came to mind: Holy motherof all that is evil, what is this thing thou hast thrust upon me?

Even a 5 mph throttle blipwas enough for Pebble Beach-area law enforcement to warn that it would toss theHennessey into the impound lot if I disturbed too much peninsular peace. TheHennessey causes passersby to leap through bushes, over gates, and ditches;barging young children, pushing grandmothers, and kicking the homeless; just soas they can get a glimpse at what's making this heavenly sound. One expectsMichael Schumacher or Fernando Alonso, and from behind the wheel, you feel likethem.

Depressing the gas pedalfurther only morphs those passersby into terrified, leaping objects, as theyretreat back to where they came--fearing the 458 has mutated into aextraterrestrial lawnmower. The entire backdrop turns to a blur, and you don'teven notice the remnants of chaos left behind. Nor the Lamborghini you left ina ditch. Or the 15 police cars chasing behind.

You want to keep stabbingthe throttle. You want to shriek in pleasure, and yet wail in terror. This caris unimaginably fast. At little over 3,000 lbs., it sprints to 60 mph in 2.8seconds. It'll continue up the quarter mile in 10.5 seconds. It'll blow youreardrums. And from the outside, you'll appear jaded and pretentious. Like aKardashian, only infinitely cooler.

The car remains way too fastfor the road. Never will you use the machine for what it's designed. In my runaround the winding roads of Pebble Beach, I barely reached full throttle - andI couldn't without endangering others. So what, you may ask, is the point? Whyspend $59,995 on adding something that, based on all known rationality, doesn'tneed adding?

The answer's simple: Becauseit makes you feel alive.

Thrill seekers jump offmountains and swim with sharks, while children snort pepper and kick each otherin the groin; all with an aim to experience that same rush. This car eradicateshangovers, clears consciences and ruins hair. It's what the spirit of drivingentails. It's why we love it. It's what we once imagined that supercar on ourbedroom wall would feel like from behind the wheel. In fact, it may be moresurreal than even a 14-year-old's open mind can imagine.

No, you don't need to addturbos to a Ferrari-in the same way you don't need that new iPhone. A stockFerrari 458 is perhaps the greatest car on the market, but Hennessey's tweaksmake it every childhood fantasy. Short of driving a meteor, or a nuclearmissile, or the Batmobile (or perhaps a Venom GT), the Hennessey 458 is thecraziest, most ludicrous machine in the world. It makes the term"hyperbole" obsolete.

By Alex Lloyd, Yahoo Autos and Indycar Driver

·
McLaren Convert
397 Posts
I have personally seen work done out of Hennessey. I don't think I'd send my cars to to him.

·
Registered
907 Posts
bleh....

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Ferrari and their service centers will love seeing these cars - my guess Ferrari builds in 10 -15k to the sticker for warranty work.

The factory warranty is gone let alone the factory pays much less than the owner for repairs.

Make that 60 more like 75 best case scenario and the owners won't recoup a dime.

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah but now they can possibly beat a 12c on regular PZero tires.... I consider this one helluva compliment for the 12c. It's closest competitor is apparently down about 170hp - really shows the superiority of the 12c. What are the numbers on the 690 hp HS, that would be the correct comparison to the TT 458.

Reminders me of MythBusters when a myth is busted and they go way overkill to make the myth work. The 458 myth has been busted, Hennessy just went overkill to make the myth work. Now we all know how far off the 458 is from the 12c. This is why I posted this - personally I thought that kind of hp old have the 458 in the low 10's, possibly barely a 9. Funny thing is Fiks sticky tire 12c and stock motor are out running the TT458.... Wholly snikies Batman!

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Yeah but now they can possibly beat a 12c on regular PZero tires.... I consider this one helluva compliment for the 12c. It's closest competitor is apparently down about 170hp - really shows the superiority of the 12c. What are the numbers on the 690 hp HS, that would be the correct comparison to the TT 458.

Reminders me of MythBusters when a myth is busted and they go way overkill to make the myth work. The 458 myth has been busted, Hennessy just went overkill to make the myth work. Now we all know how far off the 458 is from the 12c. This is why I posted this - personally I thought that kind of hp old have the 458 in the low 10's, possibly barely a 9. Funny thing is Fiks sticky tire 12c and stock motor are out running the TT458.... Wholly snikies Batman!
In a straight line - perhaps but toss it on the track and let's see that air brake etc etc etc. :)

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In a straight line - perhaps but toss it on the track and let's see that air brake etc etc etc. :)
I agree but from the pov of the reviewers only 0-60 & 1/4 mile can be reproduced easily, driving around turns require non-verbal skills:D:D:rolleyes:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Now this would be a fun ferrari but... Hennessey I don't know...heard so many bad things of court cases. Heffner on the other hand is again another dimension. They claim 820hp but how driveable is the thing

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Underground Racing did a TT 458 a long time ago. I would go with UGR before I ever went Hennessey.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts