McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I love the design and interior of my GT, I am a bit frustrated that I can not find a way to access the engine compartiment from above, where the luggage carrier covers everything. I am a diy guy when it comes to my super cars, but I can not figure out with this one how to proceed (i.e. Replacing the cats with sport Cats....)
Anybody who can help me out?

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I would remove the diffuse, and the flat undercover of the engine, but to replace the cat pipes, I need to attach the new ones on top of the engine to the rest of the exhaust system.And how do I get there :)? That's the problem....

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yes, I would remove the diffuse, and the flat undercover of the engine, but to replace the cat pipes, I need to attach the new ones on top of the engine to the rest of the exhaust system.And how do I get there :)? That's the problem....
You could ask the service people at your dealership.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The McLaren service does not want to tell me.....unbelievable. I need to be able to access from above cos I want to sprain paint all these glimmers heat shield in Matt black heat paint (I want to be as stealth as possible). Nobody hear who knows the how???

·
Registered
13 Posts
If youre a mechanic or home mechanic, im sure you can figure out how to disassemble the entire car.

Its a MR car, so basically remove the rear bumper and diffuser is a good start. Even a porsche 911 you have to remove most of the rear to get access to the engine.

I'm sure the 570 is like any other cars, remove the clips and grommets and start unbolting everything you see.

No need to ask professionals for help lol. Theyre going to ask you to bring the car in so they can make money off you. But at the same time, if you can afford 1 of these cars, you can afford to bring it to the Mclaren mechanic to fix things up for you. ;)

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Yes it is. On the S all you have to do is open the fuel door and remove the two or four (can't remember) torx screws. The engine shield can then be removed by picking up and sliding it back out of the grommets.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I explained the whole thing to him and he has completed his project.

X
How bad of a contorsionist does one need to be to do exhaust mods on the GT?
In the market for either gt or an s but would probably change out downpipes on either model

·
Super Moderator
4,421 Posts
Yes it is. On the S all you have to do is open the fuel door and remove the two or four (can't remember) torx screws. The engine shield can then be removed by picking up and sliding it back out of the grommets.
Water / oil door... Not fuel door... If people start at the fuel door they'll be awfully disappointed when the door itself is the only thing that comes off :)

-Jamie.

·
Registered
1 Posts
While I love the design and interior of my GT, I am a bit frustrated that I can not find a way to access the engine compartiment from above, where the luggage carrier covers everything. I am a diy guy when it comes to my super cars, but I can not figure out with this one how to proceed (i.e. Replacing the cats with sport Cats....)

Did you figure it out?
Can you share your knowledge, please?
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Not sure how you get the top off on the GT (I have the 570 spider which is pretty easy), but if you want to do the downpipes yourself you have the take off the wheels, wheel liners, diffuser and central metal flat cover panel underneath. Then you take off the O2 sensors, disconnect the pipes from the turbos (clamshell clamp), take off the downpipe bracket (about half way up), and then (when you’ve figured out taking the top off), disconnect the pipes from the catback section (olive clamps) and rotate the whole thing out. The rotating it out bit can be a nightmare tho - everything else is easy, especially if you have a lift.

Oh, and disconnect the battery else the pipe will probably touch the alternator positive line on the passenger side as you’re taking it out and spark quite a bit.. there’s also an orange pipe on the drivers side which I think is for fuel gases that needs to be disconnected just to get clearance.

The tech info portal probably has the info on getting the 570GT top off, but that costs $50/hr or so (mclarencars.techinfoportal.com).

Thanks!

Z

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think that when you remove the panel that covers the Oil and Coolant caps there are a bunch of Torx bolts around that. I would start there, but there is a reason they made it the way they did. They don't want you messing with it. May want to make sure you don't void warranty by doing that stuff.

I do know that there was some discussion about a "shop manual" if there were enough people interested. Don't know what happened there...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you ever figure out how to remove that deck lid ? Im having the same issue

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you ever figure out how to remove that deck lid ? Im having the same issue
Yes...I went to the McLaren tech site, pand for one hour access, and found all the detailed pages on how to do this....Much work though...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts