McLaren Life banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dear friends, I am trying to put the Liberty Walk’s massive wing on my 12c and it seems that I have to disable the function of the factory wing lift in order that there is no error sign about the air brake failure. Does anybody happen to know how to disable the factory wing lift? I called the local dealer and got the answer that there is no way for them to disable it using their system... Thanks a lot for any help!!!

·
2012 MP4-12C
499 Posts
I respectfully disagree with the above, citing any of the McLaren GT-esque cars from the factory. They all have fixed rear wings and brake just fine. The added downforce of a properly designed fixed wing should more than compensate for the lack of active aero at the expense of increase drag at all times.

That “properly designed” bit is the thing to look out for, though.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I respectfully disagree with the above, citing any of the McLaren GT-esque cars from the factory. They all have fixed rear wings and brake just fine. The added downforce of a properly designed fixed wing should more than compensate for the lack of active aero at the expense of increase drag at all times.

I didn't think the air-brake made a lot of difference till my fluid level was low and got an error and had a pucker moment. A 570s owner told me what his did under high speed hard braking, and that's what I experienced when the air-brake fault happened. The fully upright position I feel will produce more downforce than any fixed wing that is anything short of a wall. In your average everyday driving will you see a difference? Nope. Will you see a difference when you NEED it? Oh yes.

I'm guessing Liberty Walk couldn't tell you a downforce figure, because their design philosphy is make things big and stupid, not function. I'm guessing McLaren does offer that specific number somewhere, and it's substantially higher than the Liberty Walk when fully engaged. I will say that I have not shown a definitive change in fuel economy on highway with the airbrake turned on or off so the amount of downforce produced in the "on" position isn't enormous.

·
Registered
41 Posts

The reason the GT cars don't have an active rear wing is because the race classes they compete in don't allow it. It's illegal. If allowed, I assure you they would be utilized.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts