McLaren Life banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many launch controls can you actually do in a 12C without damaging it?

I know the damage is nothing like that of a sequential-manual (as per my last 2 cars), but presumably it's not infinite? In my R8 I have only tried it on two occasions, and far too petrified of the clutch damage to go beyond that. Of course though every says that the newer round of supercars don't have the same limitations but I can't find much about what you actually can do!

Thanks

·
Registered
913 Posts
launching is not hard on the car at all, 3K RPM is nothing and the car comes of pretty soft.... DCT's with their wet clutches don't wear like the e-gear and r-tronic cars.... the car will protect itself if they get too hot...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
launching is not hard on the car at all, 3K RPM is nothing and the car comes of pretty soft.... DCT's with their wet clutches don't wear like the e-gear and r-tronic cars.... the car will protect itself if they get too hot...
So basically it's a case of not doing it at every traffic light for antisocialness but 20 times a year at events and runways is no big deal?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I asked one of Mclarens test drivers this and he said one of his jobs during development was to test launch control, this consisted of launch car drive round short loop and then launch again, he did this all day long no problem.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Is there a way the dealer can read out the number of launch controls been made with a specific car ?

You bet they can! That ecu records everything including your weight change after lunch.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I'll confess I never did a launch in mine. How sad am I?!
Me too.

It always seems counter to making progress to me as if two cars were side by side then the one that just went would beat the launch control car as the driver pressed the buttons, built the revs and let it go.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Its fun to try once or twice,unless you are at the drag strip.although I admit I did it on a deserted road for fear of embarrassing myself ..........

·
Registered
807 Posts
From what I've read of the press releases and white paper by Graziano, McLaren spec'd the system to be pretty much bulletproof. The fact that the clutches are always bathed in oil, combined with the smooth/precise engagement (not just an abrupt clutch dump) and the fact that it only revs to 3K on a launch makes me think it would be OK to do a lot of launches so long as you don't do them in quick succession. How many without affecting the life of the clutches? I don't know, but life's short and you could get hit by a bus today, so have at it I say.

I've had my 2012 for about four months, and have done about 20 launches in that time. Never back-to-back, and always after fluids are up to normal temp. Whenever I give someone a ride for the first time I let them decide whether they want to experience launch mode. So far everyone has said yes (including my 72-year-old Mother). It's fun to see their reactions.

If you haven't done any launches you need to do at least one or two. The ECU is really good at metering out the power off the line to get a great launch. One big caveat, make sure that the rear tires are warm, preferably above 80F. I've done it on cold tires twice and it is not fun, big time wheelspin and back end very squirrely.

The real question is when do you let off the gas???? The thing is so quick that there is a real temptation to just keep the throttle pinned as long as you've got enough straight road left to stop.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Great thread.

The f-cars limit the launches by telling you that if you do too many, more than 4/yr, it will "effect your warranty" WTF that means.

I've read on here and elsewhere that the trans will easily out last the car. >100k miles. Including the hooliganism. So I agree with the consensus. Have at it. Everyone that experiences it laughs and enjoys it. But then they get frightened a little.

I am going to try the "$100 bill taped to the dash" trick with some local strippers next. ?

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Never used LC on my own car, honestly not sure I could see the point personally. Did try it out on a demo car where the dealer practically made me to do a LC start even though I wasn't so keen on the idea. Was assured the demo car had done >50 and was absolutely fine..(did slightly turn me off the idea of buying that demo car though!).

Wet clutch DCT boxes are supposed to be very robust indeed but that being said I believe Chris Harris did note on his recent test of the turbo s and 12c at Brunthinthorpe, the 12C gearbox had issues with repeated launches.

·
Registered
913 Posts
yea, no big deal at all...

on the GT-R and 911 Turbo's I would be more worried, those cars are revving higher and when combined with AWD has a large 'shock' to the drivetrain...

the 12C will just spin if there is not enough grip....

let's see some launch videos... :)

So basically it's a case of not doing it at every traffic light for antisocialness but 20 times a year at events and runways is no big deal?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Cool air brake wave........ :p

LC is a robust affair, as seen in our video:

In case it heats up, the car duly limits your fun until its safe to try again :rolleyes:

Finally, if you enjoy painting 11's, switch handling to "Sport/Track" on cold tyres and it'll put a respectable stamp on the road.:D

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This all looks like very good news. I'll be looking forward to trying it on a drag strip first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts