McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Owner
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many MP4-12C were built in 2012 by looking at the Vin of some cars I know it is more then 1732 and less then 1835 Can we narrow it down

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
How many MP4-12C were built in 2012 by looking at the Vin of some cars I know it is more then 1732 and less then 1835 Can we narrow it down
The 2012 goal was 6 1/2 per day so that's a pretty good estimate but no idea when they stated and ended 2012.

Plan is to increase to 4000 cars a year - once convertibles and top-end super cars along with the less expensive sports car have been launched.

I am guessing that 4000 goal will be hit around 2014 / 2015.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was told by McLaren London that their allocation was being cut down to 50 from over 100.
Maybe thats because of the Spider, but the implication in talking to the sales unit was that it was to help second hand values.
But he did also mention shipments going to China for the first time this year.
So who knows..
Higher numbers are good for support and parts.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Back in March when I visited the factory I took a peek at the VINs of the spyders rolling off the line, they were just under 1900, and the body panels just came off the paint shop were labeled in the 1930s range.

·
Owner
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back in March when I visited the factory I took a peek at the VINs of the spyders rolling off the line, they were just under 1900, and the body panels just came off the paint shop were labeled in the 1930s range.
Yes the number is something between 1732 a 2012 and 1835 a 2013 I thought we could narrow it down, I was only looking for 2012 not future numbers

·
Owner
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would help figure out 2012 production if our members list there 2012 last 4 digits of there VIN if higher then 1732 and lower than 1835 on 2013 We know it is something between those 2 numbers.

·
Owner
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It would help figure out 2012 production if our members list there 2012 last 4 digits of there VIN if higher then 1732 and lower than 1835 on 2013 We know it is something between those 2 numbers.
A little more production research the highest 2012 I found is 1780 and the lowest 2013 is 1814 so we know the last 2012 and first 2013 land in that 34 car zone if you know of anything in between please post it.

·
OWNER
76 Posts
My 2012 is 1787. Build date 9/12.

·
Owner
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 2012 is 1787. Build date 9/12.
Great thanks so now we now 1787 is 2012 and 1814 is 2013 so the switch over was during those 27 cars. It looks like about 1800 were built I was told about 500 came to the USA even if that is low it is not more then 600 that is still pretty rare.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
So if 1787 was built in 9/12, and Whoopsy saw 1930 in 3/2013, that's only like 150 cars in 5-6 months?

BTW, I asked the dealer how they've been doing with Spider sales and they said quite well. Said they sold like 20 in the last 2 months. This was at a dealer in FL. Whether it's true or not, I dunno, but figured I'd throw it out there.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
108 Posts
So if 1787 was built in 9/12, and Whoopsy saw 1930 in 3/2013, that's only like 150 cars in 5-6 months?

BTW, I asked the dealer how they've been doing with Spider sales and they said quite well. Said they sold like 20 in the last 2 months. This was at a dealer in FL. Whether it's true or not, I dunno, but figured I'd throw it out there.
That is a great news if they were selling these spiders so well.

·
Owner
893 Posts

noone,
In all my years, I've never heard a dealer say: "Sales are not that great"
I'd take all their sales 'talking points' with a grain of salt; it may be puffery :rolleyes:

Fastlane:
I cannot understand ...... If there are only 500 or so 12C's in the USA (and they are "rare")...... why are the prices of the used ones so down? :confused:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
noone,
I'd take all their sales 'talking points' with a grain of salt; it may be puffery :rolleyes:

Fastlane:
I cannot understand ...... If there are only 500 or so 12C's in the USA (and they are "rare")...... why are the prices of the used ones so down? :confused:
I suspect there was a glut of 2012's (apparently from not getting their act together for delivery to China (something to do with licenses to sell (hearsay)) that they had to move quickly as the 2013s came in. I suspect pushing the glut through made a buying opportunity, and also depressed resales. Basically, an allocation miscalculation because of China not coming online caused over production that got shifted to the states. The question is now with most (if not all) of the glut sold through (I suspect), prices should rebound a bit. Time will tell.

·
Registered
108 Posts
noone,

Fastlane:
The only thing I can think of is the lack of dealership network. But I wonder how people justify buying a Noble, Spyker or Morgan in the US. I have not seen them on the road yet so I supposed Mclaren is pretty rare (in a wonderful kind of way). I wonder why people are still buying the 2013 Lamborghini Gallardo given the amount of Gallardos built since 2003.

·
Owner
893 Posts
I don't know ....... They'd best get their act together .....
McLaren has ingested all of the early adopter-types ..... So, now what? It's a tough sell to Mister exotic car shopper, when that guy knows that his car's value will plummet more quickly than anything else he's looking at.
I was reading the PH article that zippycar referenced ..... It's amazing that a 500 mile 2013 12C Spider is selling so low AND, there are no takers.
Earth to Woking, come in ......:D

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I don't know ....... They'd best get their act together .....
McLaren has ingested all of the early adopter-types ..... So, now what? It's a tough sell to Mister exotic car shopper, when that guy knows that his car's value will plummet more quickly than anything else he's looking at.
I was reading the PH article that zippycar referenced ..... It's amazing that a 500 mile 2013 12C Spider is selling so low AND, there are no takers.
Earth to Woking, come in ......:D
I'll freely admit I'm not the normal exotic buyer demographic, so this may be a sample size of one, but I went in to buy a 458 or Mac thinking 2 minutes after I drive off the lot I would lose like half the value of the car. I wasn't expecting Honda levels of resale value. I got it because it's an irrational toy that I wanted and didn't really give a hoot on resale. Anything it has would have been gravy.

That said, seeing how well the 458s hold is terrific, and it would be nice for these to hold up better, of course. But is there a reason to expect that the Macs should hold up better than Jag, or Mazarati or whatever? I'd be curious to see a list of resale % retention of models/companies and see where Macs fall in. I would suspect they do decently well even with our disappointment of the 2012 Mac price fall. Could easily be wrong here though, but it would be great to get more context than just the 458. I bet you 599s and Californias (and like FFs adn F12s) don't do as well either...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ignoring China is dangerous and odd indeed. All the young nouveau riche that want to keep up with the Jones'...or rather stomp on the Wangs, of Porsche owners, can easily do so with a 12C.

Based on experiences with PCNA, Porsche has already checked out of the USA market. Zee Germans know where the future is.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts