McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question guys.....

What has your experience been in how long these cars can be left off of a trickle charger before going dead??? I had Ferraris that will last a month, and Porsches that would only last a week or so. And of course, the Porsches had the battery in the front boot (like the Mac), which could not easily be opened with a dead battery.

One key advantage with the Mac is the fact that it has the percentage battery charge indicator on the car settings menu. Any idea what is the minimum percentage charge required to start the car or open the boot???

I have the trickle charger and will likely hook it up before I take off for vacation, but just thought I would gather info from fellow owners first.

Thanks to all!

Wolf

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I wouldn't let it go more than 7 days. I always have a charger connected to mine, in case I ever forget.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I’ve been away between a week or two and never had it on any trickle charger.
The car started right up with no hesitation.
I see no need to put it on a charger unless your away for a prolonged period of time like three weeks or longer.
I believe that if you can just start the car once a week for a short period of time; that should keep the battery charged

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I went 11.5 days and when I started it up the battery was at 76%. I think you can easily go 2-3 weeks without the need to charge it.

Remember it's a Lithium Ion battery. It is designed to last longer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine started right up today after a 4 week layoff (unscheduled travel, holidays, and Texas ice storm). Battery was at 94 percent.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I’ve been away between a week or two and never had it on any trickle charger.
The car started right up with no hesitation.
I see no need to put it on a charger unless your away for a prolonged period of time like three weeks or longer.
I believe that if you can just start the car once a week for a short period of time; that should keep the battery charged
That is one of the worst things you can do to a car. Just running a car for a bit will not charge it at all, let alone not bringing it up to full operating temp is not the best either.

Reactions: my2000si

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Tip, If not on a charger don't set the lock+alarm. I always leave mine plugged in.
Agree, makes a difference if you can leave it in your garage unlocked.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The car comes with a trickle charger and an easy connector for it so you can always hook it up.

Although right now I am not doing so, my garage being built right now is designed to have trickle chargers at each parking spot...

Best car in terms of trickle charger connection is the Bentley. It has a plug on the OUTSIDE of the car, so even if the thing fails completely, you do not need to open the boot or trunk to get to the plug to connect a charger... Much nicer...

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
As boxer says in the Uk,we were advised from the very beginning to leave her on the charger even after a couple of days.This is i suspect because originally the first owners were leaving the car in a ready state,rather than fully shut down.As Mark suggests its best to leave the car unlocked and shut down if at all possible.
Noone to me that looks like you have her on charge,most of the time they will be at 95%.But many of the early problems with the electrics were due to low battery charge effecting the systems,this has now been dialled out.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
In our experience, it never hesitated to start. Although, if we were away for only a month we would be tempted to hook it up and anything longer, for sure, simply to avoid the hassles of dealing with a dead battery.

Having said this, how much does temperature influence on the performance of the battery?:confused:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Yea, in my experience most cars can go about a month, and then need a good drive. Once you go into the 5th week, McLaren or otherwise, you risk having a depleted battery.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Salesman told me that at 10% life the systems all shut down to stop the drain so that there is still enough juice to crank the engine. 12C does not like its battery going flat apparently.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Salesman told me that at 10% life the systems all shut down to stop the drain so that there is still enough juice to crank the engine. 12C does not like its battery going flat apparently.
I was told the same, dead battery is a very bad thing, especially LiPo if the voltage gets below cutoff.. then it's trash. V12.0 suppose to have better battery drain performance when sleeping.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can you jump start it off another car with the lipo batteries or is there a special procedure? I'm planning on picking up a mp4 but it will sit for 3 months twice a year. It will be in a shared garage and there is no power nearby.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Can you jump start it off another car with the lipo batteries or is there a special procedure? I'm planning on picking up a mp4 but it will sit for 3 months twice a year. It will be in a shared garage and there is no power nearby.
I think the best thing to do would be to disconnect the battery rather than jump start,i'm not completely certain,but i think that damages a lithium battery,and in any case we do know that when you drop below 10% it damages the battery anyway.Its easy enough to remove the front compartment to get to the battery,but it takes a little time.Another option would be to find a way of removing the battery and setting up the trickle charger elsewhere if you can work out a method of attaching it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts