McLaren Life banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Owner
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't have my 12c spider yet, but want to know how to turn it off, so I can take my 9yr old son for a ride. Thanks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
contact your dealer, they will know if there are any secret switches on the passenger side...

·
Owner
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So there is no switch? Or like my 458 a car seat that tells the car to turn air bag off. I sure hope it is easy to do. I just e mailed my dealer now. Thanks.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
There is no switch or key-operated ON-OFF control like you will find in some cars. Newer Smart Airbags don't require that.

The Owner's manual covers the operation and here are the relevant pages from an original version dated July 2011.

>8^)
ER

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
This page also makes an important point about seating position, especially for young passengers:

>8^)
ER

·
Owner
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perfect. Thank man! So it senses weight. Awesome.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
One of the primary drivers for Smart Airbags as opposed to switches was that the DOT learned through polling and post-crash investigations that the switch was often forgotten about - either to turn if off when it should be, or turn it back on when it no longer needed to be off.

Now even if the airbags are activated they can control the speed and force that they deploy based on occupant weight and the position of the seat track making them safer for everyone.

>8^)
ER

1 - 7 of 7 Posts