McLaren Life banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Tampa Bay McLaren are horrible... worst dealership I’ve ever experienced. I just got my car back from them after they had it for nearly 3 months doing a repair. It was towed there when the car broke down. If I had not constantly called them and if I had not got McLaren North America involved I’d still be waiting on repairs. Tampa Bay has zero customer service understanding and doesn’t seem to feel any need to perform work in a reasonable time frame.

I had to get Pat at McLaren NA to become involved... to push Tampa to prioritize my repairs AND to source and expedite parts delivery. Also, to push the warranty company to cover everything and authorize repair work.

Call NA and speak to them to see what they can do for you.
I am dealing with PAt now but so far he has not done much to help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'd like to hear more to this story as well. Many like to post negative experiences on this forum but I don't see many posting anything positive. How do they mount the door wrong? Isn't there only one way to mount it? If it was a demo, how come Matt (McLaren Sales Manager at Dimmitt) or another staff member not notice anything? Makes no sense to me, especially it being the door. Which demo did you buy? Describe your car to me as I'm at Dimmitt quite often and always check on their inventory to see what is new or what has sold, so I probably know your car if you'd describe it, send pics, etc. As for @restosud, please describe your horrendous issues with Dimmitt. @unmac knows the game quite well and has invested a lot into his ownership experience, knowing the ins/outs of how all this stuff works, so don't attack another forum member/owner without knowing where they're coming from.
Matt has been great. I am told that the door was slightly off angle which twisted the door every time in was used, eventually the door pulled apart from the twisting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
There is certainly a question of what kind of customer is this? I bought my car used from an out of town dealer. In the last year the local dealer had zero 720's in their inventory. I did what I had to do, I did buy from a dealer though.

I own a company and very, very rarely we fire a customer. Maybe 2-3 times in 20 years. If we are dealing with someone and every purchase turns into a problem and they are always looking for something free we don't want to do business with them, it is not profitable plain and simple. On the flip side of that coin we have great customers who never asks for anything and are flexible and willing to help us out when something does go wrong. When they do call and ask for help we bend over backwards and fix things we should not at our expense. This is normal business, it happens in the car business or any business.

It is also good business to embrace new customers no matter how they come to you. This second class citizen stuff is archaic. My hope is that I have a good relationship with my dealer and when it is time for a different car they have something that meets my needs. With exotic car depreciation being what it is, I see myself as a used car customer.

I am going to guess in general (not the OP just in general) exotic car dealers have to get people in who are divas. Very difficult to work with. I don't envy them. I bet they get worn down.
The repair cost on low volume car is high. The parts costs are high. The training of technicians is expensive. The special tools needed to fix these cars are expensive. It is all amortized against low numbers which makes the cost of owning it high! No one likes $2,000 oil changes!

I have mentioned this before, I spent 15 years working for a major automotive manufacturer. We had situations back in the early days of anti lock brakes. A 6 year old car comes in, it needs a new anti lock hydraulic assembly. It has been out of production for years. The manufacturers cost of this part is $6,000. The car is worth $6,000. It presents an interesting problem. The answer was we sold it well below cost and the customer was still very upset.

In the exotic car world every part is that part but worse.

In this case, guy buys car, it has a significant problem, sorry here is your money back. That is a solid fair reply. Customer says not fair I want a new car even though the expense to everyone is much higher. They say no thank you.

Did the problem suck for the customer, absolutely. The manufacturer and dealer could have drug it out and made him go through legal channels, it could have been worse.
I am also sure if we heard their side of the story there is more to it.

Move on enjoy your life, its not like you got a defective heart valve.
All I can say is you are an idiot. You Managed to get everything wrong, due to your own prejudices.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Dealers and issues with dealers is very misunderstood and especially by first time exotic car buyers.

Somehow, people think that they can buy the car at a third party dealer, private party, out of area Mac dealer, discounted, grind the dealer, etc., and somehow think that this doesn't have implications on the future service/buying experience.

Most dealers have the service and sales department separated from an accounting point of view. They are their own profit center and transact with each other as if they were third parties.

However, you will not get bumped up in line or taken care of ahead of customers who bought the actual car from the servicing dealer and even then how much you paid for the car and how the overall $$$ relationship stands between the two matters a lot.

When it comes to the goodwill decision; Mac along with other manufactures have a goodwill calculator that takes many things into consideration and chief among them is how much $$$ they have directly extracted from you (used cars and cars they have contributed towards the sales go way down the list in the goodwill department).

Pre-purchase decisions that a buyer makes has future impacts. (and as far as I'm concerned... that's the way it should be).

Original poster wants to go from trading a demo model to a brand new higher price model after the car has been down for two weeks and already thinking of lemoning it... jeez.
First off, I bought at a dealer, it is a new car, second, i am not remotely a first time exotic buyer, but dont let the facts get in your way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to hear about your horrible experience. I had a Tesla Model X with door issue and I went to service center 6 times for the same issue so Tesla bought it back after more than a year. They gave me back the money and I could buy a new/used/inventory/other brands and it’s basically a separate transaction. We loved the car so much that we just ordered a new, more expensive model. Getting a direct replacement wasn’t an option. They let us keep the old car until the new one arrives. Took a bit to get my refund but I did get it.

Good luck with your situation. Maybe if you are getting a replacement 720s they can do something for you. I personally think doing a buyback is much easier and better than going the lemon route.

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
All I can say is you are an idiot. You Managed to get everything wrong, due to your own prejudices.
You make knee jerk reactions then blame everyone within range. We have all been there and know nothing good comes out of it. It's a door!

Enjoy your life - if the Mac gets you this upset - move on.

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
Tampa Bay McLaren are horrible... worst dealership I’ve ever experienced. I just got my car back from them after they had it for nearly 3 months doing a repair. It was towed there when the car broke down. If I had not constantly called them and if I had not got McLaren North America involved I’d still be waiting on repairs. Tampa Bay has zero customer service understanding and doesn’t seem to feel any need to perform work in a reasonable time frame.

I had to get Pat at McLaren NA to become involved... to push Tampa to prioritize my repairs AND to source and expedite parts delivery. Also, to push the warranty company to cover everything and authorize repair work.

Call NA and speak to them to see what they can do for you.
Push the warranty company - so your car was out of warranty and you went with an after market warranty.
If that's the case - maybe you should have bought Mclaren dealer warranty vs blame them.

Little secret - you get what you pay for / the most expensive car to own is often the cheapest one to buy which seems to be a common theme of unhappy owners.

Mcalren gets beat up and I am sure they make mistakes but I have an incredible hard time believing Mclaren doesn't try to make things right at every level.

To state zero customer service - if you were my customer that statement alone would be the last. Employees come to work just like you do everyday and they don't ask to be abused. The amount of disrespect posted here is pathetic!

Zero customer service at a multi million dollar fully staffed facility and corporate to communicate if needed - trained mechanics service center with tools lifts etc now has zero customer service understanding - with customers like you they would be closed and that's a fact you don't take into consideration.

It's a small world in Exotics this abuse must be exhausting -

·
Registered
675 Posts
Push the warranty company - so your car was out of warranty and you went with an after market warranty.
Did they say that?
If that's the case - maybe you should have bought Mclaren dealer warranty vs blame them.
Do you know that it isn't a "McLaren" warranty?

Little secret - you get what you pay for / the most expensive car to own is often the cheapest one to buy which seems to be a common theme of unhappy owners.
In that case, I'll sell you my car for twice what it's worth ..

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
Did they say that?

Do you know that it isn't a "McLaren" warranty?

In that case, I'll sell you my car for twice what it's worth ..
It's written in the post - start there or read below. So much bs on here it's ridiculous.

****Also, to push the warranty company to cover everything and authorize repair work.

·
Registered
675 Posts
It's written in the post - start there or read below. So much bs on here it's ridiculous.

****Also, to push the warranty company to cover everything and authorize repair work.
You missed the point. McLaren don't sell an ESC - the one that dealers sell is backed by a different company, so is technically "aftermarket", IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
You missed the point. McLaren don't sell an ESC - the one that dealers sell is backed by a different company, so is technically "aftermarket", IMO.
When i sold my MP4 - the sale had to go thru a dealer to qualify for extended McLaren factory insurance.
If someone buys after market from a dealer then blames Mclaren for the time to get authorized - it's b as he clearly stated he had to push the warranty company.

Your point is unclear as is 99% of these grievances.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Your point is unclear as is 99% of these grievances.
Oh the irony ..

My point is, as I understand it, that the "McLaren" ESC isn't actually administered by McLaren. It may be an insurance policy from another company (An Amynta Group Company | Warrantech). I assume that they have a business relationship with the dealers and McLaren (labour rates and parts discounts), but they aren't McLaren, or "the factory".

·
Registered
788 Posts
we can't all be elitists.
your basis that a used car or private buyer should be treated like a second class citizen has been well documented and is appalling .
not everyone here can afford to buy a shining new car at full sticker. some of us are actually real car guys that may stretch their budget in order to enjoy a mclaren, not to have a garage queen to brag about or impress the joneses.
and jumping to conclusion as to what the op is trying to accomplish ? your crystal ball is much better than mine!
Sorry to hurt your feelings on this issue.... Anyone with an inkling of how this works fully well knows that treatment is different. People who are all aghast at these types of stories put themselves in the O.P. shoes.

There is over 20K Mclaren cars on the road. Probably 30K owners have cycled through these cars worldwide. This forum has a minuscule amount of those owners posting on here. Where do they go and complain, what issues do they have, if any.

People on these forums go in and out and hardly go through previous postings. I certainly do go through these postings and the people who post these issues generally do fit a certain profile. The attitude/atmosphere in real life with people who own these cars is entirely different.

How many times do people have to show they have modified their cars and run into problems with warranty? This has been going on for two years. Some of the guys on here used to discuss how they are protected by certain Federal Acts. Guess what, something happened to their cars and it wasn't covered under warranty. They have never posted again about those issues.

Everyone knows and if they don't then they should by now; how you buy your car, how much you paid for it, where you bought it, where you serviced it, does have implications.

This is all Captain Obvious things that everyone knows.

·
Registered
788 Posts
First off, I bought at a dealer, it is a new car, second, i am not remotely a first time exotic buyer, but dont let the facts get in your way.
What exactly are you trying to get out of posting this...

1) People aren't going to buy from Dimmitt now, because of you?
2) People are going to go and transport their cars hundreds of miles away to another dealer because of your issue?
3) People are going to write a petition on your behalf to Mclaren?

It is postings like yours that keep people away from car forums. Nothing can be done on your behalf here. it is a useless posting and thread.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Oh the irony ..

My point is, as I understand it, that the "McLaren" ESC isn't actually administered by McLaren. It is an insurance policy from another company (An Amynta Group Company | Warrantech). I assume that they have a business relationship with the dealers and McLaren (labour rates and parts discounts), but they aren't McLaren, or "the factory".
Attached is the Mclaren p1 Extended Service Contract. Everything says Mclaren.

Provider: Mclaren Automotive
Administrator: Mclaren Extended Administration c/o Warrantech Automotive

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
I own a company and very, very rarely we fire a customer. Maybe 2-3 times in 20 years. If we are dealing with someone and every purchase turns into a problem and they are always looking for something free we don't want to do business with them, it is not profitable plain and simple.
People might be surprised.... Dealers/manufacturers do fire/ban customers. I know two of them that are banned from buying Mclarens. One that is very high profile in the social media world.

Another guy who is a pain from the service point of view and unhappy and both parties had disagreements. Now, not by his choice he has to bring his multi million dollar cars to dealers 350 miles away. (both sides have their story but hey, dealers/manufacturers are in the buying/servicing and customer relationship business. It's a big thing when they fire a customer and it does happen).

·
Registered
675 Posts
Attached is the Mclaren p1 Extended Service Contract. Everything says Mclaren.

Provider: Mclaren Automotive
Administrator: Mclaren Extended Administration c/o Warrantech Automotive
As I said, it's not administered by McLaren. I don't know if it's insurance-backed, or McLaren funded.

·
Registered
788 Posts
As I said, it's not administered by McLaren. I don't know if it's insurance-backed, or McLaren funded.
you should ask dan . I have this warranty that I attached . I only touch mclaren and all 3 parties make the decision ; dealer , mclaren and mclaren administrator which they have outsourced to warrantech .

Ive had to use it once and that was dealing with our dealer

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am 99% sure in addition to providing McLaren branded Extended Service Plans that Warrantech administers McLaren's new car warranty. It makes sense. To set up a system to administer warranty is a very large undertaking. To staff that enterprise is also a very large commitment. Reading about everyone's trials and tribulations with warranty makes me believe that is not the best situation.

McLaren can not set them up to administer with an open checkbook. It would be difficult to set up a system that controlled expense and incentivized the administrator to meet a budget.
I administered warranty for a car company for several years it is a difficult balance.

Just an observation.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts